• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

A PSA About "Hacking"

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
Many people are worried about the "Hacking" going on in Splatoon 2. There is no need to be worried. First, the only things that can be changed are things saved on the save files, such as gear, weapons, rank, etc. Rank changing isn't the best thing, but the ones who are scummy enough to do it will drop their new rank quickly. Anyways, one cannot modify the actual weapons themselves. They are stored on the game cartridge. If one wanted to modify the weapon itself, they would have to inject code into the RAM using a computer, but that is currently impossible.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is all true, Marfie, but I think his greater point is that, while hacking sucks, they can't hack anything that will give them an unfair advantage in beating you. It's all rank numbers or gear stuff that is possible to do anyway with enough time/effort.

Cephalobro

I'm glad Nintendo is starting to ban hackers, the less worries for my online rankings, the better.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
This is all true, Marfie, but I think his greater point is that, while hacking sucks, they can't hack anything that will give them an unfair advantage in beating you. It's all rank numbers or gear stuff that is possible to do anyway with enough time/effort.
Many people are worried about the "Hacking" going on in Splatoon 2. There is no need to be worried. First, the only things that can be changed are things saved on the save files, such as gear, weapons, rank, etc. Rank changing isn't the best thing, but the ones who are scummy enough to do it will drop their new rank quickly. Anyways, one cannot modify the actual weapons themselves. They are stored on the game cartridge. If one wanted to modify the weapon itself, they would have to inject code into the RAM using a computer, but that is currently impossible.
Uhhhhhhhhh ok. https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/8l78el/hackers_get_the_dynamo_to_flick_at_the_same_speed/

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Wasn’t that not in an actual online game?
It wasn't, but the principle still stands that if somebody wanted to, they could've brought that online.

The OP is trying to argue that there are currently no hacks that would create an unfair advantage, the video straight up proves otherwise.

Personally speaking, I have nothing against hackers if they're doing it offline or among friends and don't interfere with the general population. But recent stuff like Octoling hackers prove that some people are scum.

Superkootz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Supermario182
... First, the only things that can be changed are things saved on the save files, such as gear, weapons, rank, etc. ... Anyways, one cannot modify the actual weapons themselves. They are stored on the game cartridge. If one wanted to modify the weapon itself, they would have to inject code into the RAM using a computer, but that is currently impossible.
how can you say that only certain things are possible with hacking? the whole point of hacking is to do the impossible. and to say that data stored on the cartridge is safe is kind of silly. even if that were true, it doesnt account for digital downloads either.

now obviously they cant change any server side data without hacking into the actual servers, but given nintendos weak online presence i wouldnt be surprised if there was an easy way for hackers to spoof data and send it through to the servers as if it was real.

Cephalobro

Honestly, hackers that only do stuff locally I'm fine with. It's the hackers that do stuff online that I really really really really hate. Remember the mess that happened with Mario Kart Wii's online? I don't want this to turn into that.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It wasn't, but the principle still stands that if somebody wanted to, they could've brought that online.

The OP is trying to argue that there are currently no hacks that would create an unfair advantage, the video straight up proves otherwise.

Personally speaking, I have nothing against hackers if they're doing it offline or among friends and don't interfere with the general population. But recent stuff like Octoling hackers prove that some people are scum.
The OP said that changing weapon data is only possible locally and not online.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Unfortunately, someone hacked in a public match. This honestly frustrates me. What happened was that someone modified a Blaster weapon to be a long-ranged Grizzco Blaster, basically ruining online for other players.
Okay. This is very bad. Hopefully the bans are swift and harsh.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Honestly, hackers that only do stuff locally I'm fine with. It's the hackers that do stuff online that I really really really really hate. Remember the mess that happened with Mario Kart Wii's online? I don't want this to turn into that.
Yeah.....hackers took over that game for a while, but they used to dc easily whenever everyone else spam items at the same time as them. When they first appeared, I was kinda amused but it got old after a while.

Cephalobro

Good news, Nintendo is banning people who are using Octolings. That means that people who modded the game will eventually get banned.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
I hate how the only way you can report people is through the mobile app. You'd think they've make it where it was easier to just report people simply by seeing them in the lobby cause people have a possibility to post inappropriate drawings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom