• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

[A tip from Judd] Y-Strafe

What do you think of this tip?

• Silly

• Useless

• Something

• Potentionally Practical

Results are only viewable after voting.

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Judd mentioned one time that holding Y will let you strafe, even when you're not firing. This prevents the camera from automatically panning while you move, without having to fire.

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
Did not know this. Gonna try! Is it useful in your experience?

Deep down i knew i should not just mindlessly bash A when gettin mah monies. Nice find, thank you for listening to a cat.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I find this really useful - it makes the inkling movement much more natural for me - in fact, I used play with a rubber band around the Y button so that it was constantly pressed down. I stopped doing this because I thought I should try to incorporate 'Y positioning' into my gameplay, but tbh I think that just making better use of the motion controls makes that more or less redundant, so I might break out the rubber band again.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
That's one of Judd's tips which surprised me when I read it (yeah, I read it before in-game :) ). I didn't implement it in my play yet, but there are probably situations where strafing withough shooting can come in handy. Quick Y positioning seems to be the more effective way when mastered, though.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
I've underestimated you Judd! This sounds like an interesting technique indeed, that could have some practical uses. If Judd recommends it, i'll have to give it a go!

superman

Senior Squid
Let me get this straight. Nintendo's idea of having a little more control over Splatoon's camera involves growing a second thumb?

I used play with a rubber band around the Y button so that it was constantly pressed down.
Can you take a pic of this? I can't for the life of me get the Y-Button to be pressed with a rubber band.

superman

Senior Squid
This sounds like Nintendo allright :D
I'm telling you, sometimes it feels like modern game devs are going out of their way to insult my intellect and spoonfeed me their BS? Why can't I customize controls in any game anymore?

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Can you take a pic of this? I can't for the life of me get the Y-Button to be pressed with a rubber band.
No time to take a pic this morning, but try putting a small blob of blu-tack (or equivalent) under the band and on top of Y - that should make it easier for the band to keep the button forced down.
Also, the camera will resent each time you respawn, so make sure you have the gamepad in a comfortable position when that happens, or it will be stuck at an awkward angle.

superman

Senior Squid
*Ahem* ...Super Smash Bros. 4.
Ahem...*drops list of around 200 games I can't be arsed to list right now*

I'd rather not get into details though because I'll just sound like a grumpy old dad that's telling you how every competitive FPS so far has been highly customizable :D

Just look at how Quake players customize their game, it looks like **** but the configs are made for high visibility.
http://esreality.com/post/1950022/high-visibility-config-post-yours/

Last edited:

OrenjiBoy135

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
OrenjiBoy145
Customization is good, but let's imagine a scenario:
You go into a game's options, and try customizing your controls. Suddenly, EVERYTHING can be customized, down to each and every button and analog stick. The question is, what would you do?

This isn't PC gaming; It's console gaming.

superman

Senior Squid
Customization is good, but let's imagine a scenario:
You go into a game's options, and try customizing your controls. Suddenly, EVERYTHING can be customized, down to each and every button and analog stick. The question is, what would you do?
Customize it to my liking what else would you do?

This isn't PC gaming; It's console gaming.
I guess you're right :( Being a console player apparently makes you too mentally challenged to make your own decisions

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Customize it to my liking what else would you do?

I guess you're right :( Being a console player apparently makes you too mentally challenged to make your own decisions
Sounds like you just can't deal with it to be honest. Calm down and play the game. If you can't, then play your other games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom