• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

A Vanity System and Custom Clothes In Splatoon

Plutoniumcube

Pro Squid
NNID
Enteryourname
I'm sure some of you reading this have played Terraria. A great horr- I mean adventurous take on the seeded open world sandbox. If you have, you probably have noticed that in your menu with your clothing slots, there is a second area titled "vanity" (To be quite frank there are probably a lot of other games a I'm glossing over that have this.) There, you can put on gear that gives off the look of what you put in with the effects of what you actually put in your clothing slot. Thus, there is no struggle of character design and effectiveness. With Splatoon's gear being rather limited in abilities, I believe this system will work out quite well for it. The same problem is prevalent and so is the solution.

My clanmate: Mizuno Ami-Chan, suggested Splatoon had a custom clothing system akin to Animal Crossing. I think these could work as a very good overlay for vanity. I doubt however that you'd be able to pick the abilities and brand and just be vanity over lays as it's been made clear the amount of agency the developers want to have over gear.

Share your opinions in the comments!

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Yea sure why not.I think you should only unlock the vanity system at level 30 or 490 though. The fact that main abilities and brands are tied to the gear force the player to try different styles as well as different ability combinations for the particular gear that they like.

It also forces the player to learn how to play the game with a variety of buffs. If you try to level up every gear until it's has max abilities you'll eventually see how to use your weapon when it doesn't have its optimal abilities, and also how to make the most of the lesser abilities (like last ditch effort).

Since you'd only be able to unlock itat level 30, it forces the player to learn the different aspects of the game.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
good players memorize gear and the abilities that come on it and can use that to deal wit a certain enemy. I.e. at the start of the match they see somebody rocking green rain boots and so every time they splat somebody they look up to see if anyone jumped. or i get in a bubbler fight with a squid who's wearing the white inky rider, I know it's probably a good idea to jump back to spawn.

As much as a vanity system appeals to me, it's not worth sacrificing knowing what your opponents abilities are before they kill you.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I personally like this idea a lot. I personally love the way the new Forge Inkling Parka looks, but I dislike the Special Duration Up ability, which is nearly impossible not to roll on the Parka because of its Forge brand. Being able to wear that super fresh parka while using the abilities of a different shirt I like, such as the Ink Recovery and Cold-Blooded of my Sky-Blue Squideye, would be great.

I see MakesDream's point that looking at your enemies' gear can help in some situations, but those situations are honestly quite rare. Really, when planning a strategy, the enemy team's weapons are what you want to be looking at. A player's weapon has much more of an effect on how they are going to play than their gear does.

Demonic Labrys

Pro Squid
NNID
Omega_Snakey
There is a lot of gear i like but the main abilities don't bother me cause i rely mostly on the subs if the main isn't good but i like changing my style for battling depending on what gear i have

Zolda

Full Squid
A vanity system is actually one of the things I'd most like to see added to the game, I would really like to be able to customize my appearance to be whatever I want without having to worry about abilities. It's frustrating when I love the aesthetic of a certain piece of gear but it has a crappy ability (Looking at you 18K Aviators). While I understand the argument that this would remove the ability to know for sure what gear an enemy has, I don't think that would make any real difference; as ThatBerkawitzSquid said, the enemy's weapon is what's really going to inform you about how they're going to play. I'd gladly trade the ability to know an enemy's abilities for the function of being able to have whatever appearance I want.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
As much as i get that, there's an element of creativity that's lost when abilities aren't static to their item. There's a lot of fun to be had in designing a set that works for you and looks good.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
As much as i get that, there's an element of creativity that's lost when abilities aren't static to their item. There's a lot of fun to be had in designing a set that works for you and looks good.
>fun
I wouldn't exactly call spending tons of time, money, and snails on rerolls to try to make my good-looking gear actually have good abilites fun...
And what do you mean by "an element of creativity is lost"? Please explain.

mm201

Senior Squid
NNID
kaizo201
I would be satisfied if they just added a few alternate colour versions of some of the prettier outfits with different abilities. I'd like to use my school uniform but I really need Cold-Blooded. :(

All the latest new gear with Forge slapped on them took the fun I was going to have away.
And Inkline. :(

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Yeah, it's really disappointing that the new Forge gear looks AMAZING, but Forge is such a terrible brand... Couldn't it have been the Tentatek Inkling Parka or Krak-On Inkling Parka instead? lol
The Krak-on 528 looks pretty good if we're talking Run speed up gear. Better yet, try the Black Baseball LS, which is much plainer and is an inverse of the former. One star gear, but both posses rolls with immediate synergy.

If anything, the Forge Inkling Parka is something I'm willing to incorporate into my N-ZAP 85 build. Gotta have more echolocator.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
The Krak-on 528 looks pretty good if we're talking Run speed up gear. Better yet, try the Black Baseball LS, which is much plainer and is an inverse of the former. One star gear, but both posses rolls with immediate synergy.

If anything, the Forge Inkling Parka is something I'm willing to incorporate into my N-ZAP 85 build. Gotta have more echolocator.
I have a Black Baseball LS with perfect rolls, actually, so I get what you mean, lol. Unfortunately, neither it nor the Krak-On 528 are exactly my style... But they're super fun to run on fast weapons like the N-Zaps and Mini Splatling ;)

And you can never have too much Echolocator, that's for sure. Plus the Parka's Run Speed is great for the N-Zap. Maybe I'll have to try the two out together some time...

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Creativity is sparked at its strongest through limitations.
That's deep... But I guess I see your point. I don't like being forced to wear gear that I don't like the look of (like my aforementioned Black Baseball LS) in order to be able to do my best in battles, though. I still don't exactly agree with the point about creativity, but I do understand it better now, so thank you for that.

I just think that there would still be enough diversity in clothing if vanity slots were a thing. If anything, there may be more diversity because of the fact that people would be able to wear what they want while retaining the abilities they like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom