• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A word about advertisements.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm seeing a whole lot of advertising going on in my square. I can sort of understand artists attaching their twitter to posts, visibility and all that, though it's still iffy at times. My grand complaint though, is people that blatantly advertise their youtube and twitch channels. That wasn't allowed on Miiverse for obvious reasons and it shouldn't be allowed here to make posts that are essentially saying "Hey come here and give me views and money!"

I'm going to keep reporting every such post I see and I advise others to do the same.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Didn't realize this was a widespread thing. I've seen, what, maybe one blatant self-advert? Everything else is either furries or gender politics.

Though admittedly I'm not sure what the issue is beyond the spam factor. Annoyance? The game's integrity?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That aside, I've seen quite a few, and yeah, it's kind of annoying.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
My favourites are the people who don't say anything other than "Follow me on twitter!" followed by their handle. I mean, say what you want about the youtube and twitch shilling, at least there's an implicit promise of some kind of substantive content. If all someone has to offer me is a twitter handle, odds are they probably don't post anything especially interesting. If people are going to shamelessly self-promote, they can at least put some effort into it.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I can understand that people are posting their twitter accounts when they asking for a selfie (I'm playing that game in that other role: Take Screenshots and share them with the person who asked for a selfie on twitter). But I don't like people just posting their youtube and twitch accounts for views... Sending the twitter account without doing some kind of art is bad too.

However: The Miiverse replacement is using twitter/facebook. So it's kinda logical that people would start posting there account here...

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
However: The Miiverse replacement is using twitter/facebook. So it's kinda logical that people would start posting there account here...
Yeah, that's more or less the only thing I'm doing. I make sure my post is still substantial, but I stick my twitter handle in there as a watermark of sorts.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I've seen a bunch of these. So far, I've only been reporting posts that seem to be discriminatory . I'll add these to this list because you're right -- no need for that stuff.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Is there actually any rule against it in Splatoon 2? I haven't done it, but I don't think Miiverse still applies.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Is there actually any rule against it in Splatoon 2? I haven't done it, but I don't think Miiverse still applies.
There's a reporting category specifically for advertising, and Nintendo is still Nintendo, so it's a pretty safe assumption they don't want squidkid posts being used in this fashion.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
I don't have anything against people who are using that a a watermark. Especially for post like those "Take a Sellfie with me". On the other side I never saw someone with "Follow me on Twitch/Youtube/Twitter" but I may start reporting those posts...

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Let me revive this thread with a perfect example of the problem. Look at this. It's blatant advertising and a tacit request for money. No art, or clever writing, or anything of value. Disgusting.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
Yip, it's blatant and I report those too. I also report squidbaggers. Every. Time.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander

Let me revive this thread with a perfect example of the problem. Look at this. It's blatant advertising and a tacit request for money. No art, or clever writing, or anything of value. Disgusting.
I usually just see something small like a massive piece of art with a small Tumblr link hidden in the bottom. I didn't realize it was getting this bad. The worst ive seen was a twitch stream link. I'll keep an eye out for anything like this.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

And only a B in tower. I'm not giving money to someone who is a B in tower.

Metaru

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0965-8417-5493

Did you go to the Patreon or Twitter page?
Seems like this person does atleast something, not much but its still a content creator.

Nothing is wrong with this, If I was a content creator and livestreamed S2 I'd have my twitch link for sure also have my name as my twitch url.
How is having a twitch link a bad thing? It supports a streaming in getting more views and will also get more people watching S2.

You see people with their Twitch name in-game too, is that also bad advertising?
Absolutely not. Welcome to the age of everybody wants to stream and get famous.

I dont' see why this is a huge deal to you.
It's not promoting hate, is not breaking the ToS of the game and from the guidelines which nintendo has given us.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Did you go to the Patreon or Twitter page?
Seems like this person does atleast something, not much but its still a content creator.

Nothing is wrong with this, If I was a content creator and livestreamed S2 I'd have my twitch link for sure also have my name as my twitch url.
How is having a twitch link a bad thing? It supports a streaming in getting more views and will also get more people watching S2.

You see people with their Twitch name in-game too, is that also bad advertising?
Absolutely not. Welcome to the age of everybody wants to stream and get famous.

I dont' see why this is a huge deal to you.
It's not promoting hate, is not breaking the ToS of the game and from the guidelines which nintendo has given us.
Nothing wrong with using the same username across different platforms. If your nickname is unique and recognizable then more power to you.

And at least to me there's nothing wrong with adding a (small) twitter handle to your artwork or otherwise productive or creative post. Just plain advertisement on the other hand is cheap and even a link to "patreon" is the worst of it. Whenever I see these posts I report them for advertisement. If you want to advertise your products, make it less "needy". Give us something in return first. I don't want the plaza to turn into an advertising board - I want the plaza to be a canvas for creative artworks or funny posts, or discussion starters.

But again, can't stress this enough, regardless on how I view these small twitter handles, objectively they fall under advertisement which are against the ToS. There's even a checkbox for that. Not sure if they will follow suit if someone will report your over your small twitter handle but obvious advertisement without anything other than your Twitter/Patreon/whatever will get you in trouble.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora

I haven't seen anything like this yet, probably because by the time I start playing people like you have found them all. I'll keep my eye out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom