• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Abilities for the Heavy Splatling?

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Just wondering if some of you guys could give some suggestions on abilities to look for that can go well with this particular weapon, as it's definitely my main at this point, but I'm really not entirely sure what to put on it. Not very good at coming up with builds like that in this game. So any advice is much appreciated!

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So far Ink Recovery Up has been very helpful to keep me in the fight. Without Ink Saver (main), you can fire 4 full charges at full ink capacity, so if you can recharge back to full quickly enough the downtime is minimum. Aside of that, maybe Ink Saver (sub) to make more use of Splash Walls or Special Charge Up to get more Inkstrikes (Run Speed Up is nice too, but I'd suggest it for the Mini Splatling instead); but it depends on your playstyle (but avoid Special Duration Up; it's pretty much useless with Inkstrikes)

Edit: For some reason, equipping Ink Saver (main) seems to make me lose horribly all my matches o_O

Last edited:

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I find Ink Resistance goes really well with it...then again, it goes really well with everything. It works a bit better with the Heavy Splatling, though, because your move speed is already really low while revving, enemy ink would make you even slower.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I always run with at least one damage up main/sub pack, to help with long range suppression. I've also carried over my speed abilities to it, from another thread's suggestions.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I like to make sure I have some strength up to get quick kills, ink saver main and sub since it uses so much ink to fire the splatling, and I use walls as much as possible. Ink recovery up is very useful, too. Basically, anything to ensure you don't run out of ink is important for the Heavy Splatling.

Defense is also nice, as sometimes players will try to get really close to disorient you. Having extra defense can save you while you charge up and fire at close range.

NNID
Brickmaster2.0
As someone who mained Heavy Splatling almost exclusively before switching to Aerospray MG, the skills I found the most useful were Damage/Defense Up (usually Subs), Ink Resistance Up, and Ink Recovery Main and Sub, as well as Ink Recovery Up. I also remember having Run Speed Up, to deal with the natural slowess of the weapon. You have good range and power, which makes you versatile, but boy does that thing suck down ink.

Also, watch out for your charge time. The few seconds it takes to charge can be the difference between splating and being splatted. Also, don't run too far ahead with your teammates, the Splatling is good for a more defensive role. Can't tell you how many Splat Zones I've won on Hammerhead Bridge just by staying on the bridge and holding down the fort. Splash Wall keeps you safe as well, especially from those tricksy snipers and Gal users.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
I use ink saver main with two ink savier & one ink recovery sub Run speed up with 3 defense subs another run speed with 3 attacks ups.
Also the splatling has ink resistance when charging so, ink resistance might be a waste

GerbilCrab475

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GerbilCrab
I like to make sure I have some strength up to get quick kills, ink saver main and sub since it uses so much ink to fire the splatling, and I use walls as much as possible. Ink recovery up is very useful, too. Basically, anything to ensure you don't run out of ink is important for the Heavy Splatling.

Defense is also nice, as sometimes players will try to get really close to disorient you. Having extra defense can save you while you charge up and fire at close range.
I use my power armor with my heavy and I can definitely tell the difference. Now when people get close to me I just barely charge up and splat them with four - five shots.

Pronouns
He/They
NNID
MonopolyBoy941
Well, the one thing I know that a Heavy Splatling does best is hold a point. Mostly, I would focus on overall Ink Efficiency and Defense. Here's some strong abilities more specifically:

Ink Saver Main: Allows you to use the Splatling for longer; most useful when the enemy is constantly pressuring you
Ink Saver Sub: Can use Splash Walls more often. My personal favorite since I feel that the Splash Wall plays a HUGE role in the Splatling's kit.
Defense Up: Really helps to survive more hits from all attacks. The only problem is that I only feel they are worth it ONLY IF you have THREE Defense Up Mains (or the equivalence of that) since that Third Defense raises so many max hits on weapons. (Also and immense help against Strength Up chargers.)
Cold-Blooded: Reducing the effects of all tracking devices by 75%, Cold-Blooded is definitely one of the more useful abilities, and the Heavy Splatling is no exception to it.
Ink Recovery Up: Good for regaining ink fast. It's an okay ability to have, but I personally prefer Ink Saver Main for when the enemy constantly pressures you. Ink Recovery will only help if you're at a perch that enemies can't easily attack.
Damage Up: Since each shot does exactly 28 damage (before damage falloff), the 4-HKO can be raised to a 5-HKO if the enemy has three Defense Up mains. So I wouldn't suggest using more than one main, if at all.

Finally, if I can get extremely lucky with rerolling gear, this is what I would constantly use for a Heavy Splatling

Primary:
2 Defense Up mains
Cold-Blooded
:ability_defenseup::ability_coldblooded::ability_defenseup:
Secondary:
3 Ink Saver Mains
3 Ink Saver Subs
3 Defense Ups (Acts as a 3rd Defense Up)
:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_defenseup:

Last edited:

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
oh man. i just tried maxing out my run speed up (mains, not subs yet), and it's really fun. you feel like the splatling's gliding on an air hockey table. and it's really nice to sidestep and choke off points so smoothly. i might switch it up...

that being said, if you try it, make sure you have enough subs for a bit of damage up, and either an ink recovery, or saver main.

Last edited:

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ink recharge up actually works well for the Heavy Splatling especially one you get into the habit of spamming Splash walls.

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery Up are always useful, as is Ink Resistance Up. Run Speed Up is also pretty good for the Heavy Splatling, and Ink Saver Sub can be useful for those times when you need to throw a Splash Wall down and get shooting immediately.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Surprised nobody mentionned stacking up walk speed up. Stuff that allow you to send less ink or recharge faster are useful too.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I'm thinking of trying out:

:head_hat001:| :ability_inksavermain:, :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain:
:clothes_tly007:| :ability_damage:,:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_bot003:| :ability_inkresistance:, :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Gives me more ammo for after a splash wall, the ability to recover ink quickly, and helps me move while laying down suppression fire.

Thoughts?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, I've played with the Splatling pretty much since the day it dropped, and have yet to put it down. I've gotten to S+ with it, I've gotten many 20+ win streaks with it, and I've begun to grow overly attached to it, scared for when Custom Hydra comes out and I drop it. :/ Sigh. . . If only it had a better special.
Anyways, here's the load out I've been using and I'll be honest, it works pretty damn well. Splash walls eat up ink, and a fully charged Heavy can as well, with this load out, it's pretty easy to see that it's pretty close to negligible for what you get out of it.
I could have sworn I had all three slots on my hat, but I guess not. Pretty clear what you're gonna want to aim for.

As long as you're a defensive player like myself, (which you should be carrying this thing) this gear loadout works wonders

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
I'm thinking of trying out:

:head_hat001:| :ability_inksavermain:, :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain:
:clothes_tly007:| :ability_damage:,:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_bot003:| :ability_inkresistance:, :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Gives me more ammo for after a splash wall, the ability to recover ink quickly, and helps me move while laying down suppression fire.

Thoughts?
That's a pretty good loadout. The Damage Up makes things a bit more annoying for people running with Defense Up or people you're hitting with arcing bullets.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, although I really enjoy how great the gear I have works together, I want to try something different. Tim H. got that ball rolling with the ever popular Moto boots. When I was getting my gear ready for when the Hydra Splatling comes out (yes I prepared way ahead of time, sue me) I made sure to go about adding speed, however, didn't give it the slightest thought when building around my Heavy Splatling. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to go with. I'm not huge on Damage ups, yea they help with the very end of your shots, but you're going to have a hard time hitting those 5-6 shots anyways because of how sporadic the Heavy Splatling shoots and the fact your opponent is very likely going to just try to get away. I personally feel that main perk can be used for something else. Anyways, I'll check in when I get done with this new gear loadout, and I'll be sure to upload it here to see what everyone else thinks. I will say I doubt the hat is changing though, that thing is just too damn good with this weapon. Might even go about just changing the shoes. We'll see.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm not huge on Damage ups, yea they help with the very end of your shots, but you're going to have a hard time hitting those 5-6 shots anyways because of how sporadic the Heavy Splatling shoots and the fact your opponent is very likely going to just try to get away.
You'd be surprised at the amount of people I've splatted because they sat still while I lobbed ink from max range (or maybe they got stuck in the ink o_O)

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You'd be surprised at the amount of people I've splatted because they sat still while I lobbed ink from max range (or maybe they got stuck in the ink o_O)
I mean, you're not wrong, it happens. It's just usually any squid worth their salt knows how to trot out of that situation. It helps, but I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth using a slot when you can be abusing ink savers or speed ups, or whatever it may be.

Like I said, I'll be digging into what it is I want soon. I get too deep into this game sometimes. :confused: It's borderline sickening.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splatlings are fun on Urchin if you catch players hopping out the side path to the mid without looking ahead. Splatted a whole team trying to sneak on my buddies from the side entrance during a recent Splatfest :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom