• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Abilities spead across different gear are more effective than on 1 gear?

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
So, all the info we have out there says that it does not matter if the abilities are on one piece of gear vs multiple gears.

But when I try this, it seems to be more effective if spread across different gear. I can't take a video because i have a CRT TV and it won't show up on camera... but can any of you explain this?

Go to firing range and align yourself facing towards all 3 large balloons so that when you destroy 1, the next shot hits the next balloon (this makes it easier to count). Equip the .96 gal deco.
- Have 3 small ink saver main on piece of gear and a main ink saver sub (i had it on same gear: the Strapping Whites)
Throw a splash wall and immediately start shooting the large balloons. You can kill 2 balloons and get 2 shots on the next balloon before running out of ink.
- Now try it with any gear that has only 1 small ink saver main, and another gear having 1 small ink saver main , then another gear with 1 main ink saver sub. You can get an extra shot despite having 1 less ink saver main!

What is going on?

Ruffigan

Inkling
NNID
Ruffigan
I remember reading something to this effect on reddit when the game first came out but haven't heard anything about it since then. Something along the lines of the 2nd and 3rd instance of the same sub on an item being worth half of the first. But I thought it was discovered that it didn't matter which item the sub was on, just the total number determines their worth?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
That would make sense in one way actually.
Judd does mention that stashing the same type of ability may not be a good idea and the pooled ability is reduced for every more of the same one there is.
But spreading the ability across 3 gears seperately may be more useful?

I discovered something similair with damage up too, when using one gear with two damage up and main vs two gears with seperate damage up and one main, the latter dealt some more damage...

In long term i don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but if you happen to get triple damage up on a damage up gear already, i don't think it's worth 200 rolls to regret it.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
You guys might want to recheck the gear you were using.

The abilities just depend on the number.

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
An interesting idea, if it's true everyone will have a lot of painful re-rolling to do.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
I triple checked and spreading abilities across different gear is more effective. I'll post a video later

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
So, all the info we have out there says that it does not matter if the abilities are on one piece of gear vs multiple gears.

But when I try this, it seems to be more effective if spread across different gear. I can't take a video because i have a CRT TV and it won't show up on camera... but can any of you explain this?

Go to firing range and align yourself facing towards all 3 large balloons so that when you destroy 1, the next shot hits the next balloon (this makes it easier to count). Equip the .96 gal deco.
- Have 3 small ink saver main on piece of gear and a main ink saver sub (i had it on same gear: the Strapping Whites)
Throw a splash wall and immediately start shooting the large balloons. You can kill 2 balloons and get 2 shots on the next balloon before running out of ink.
- Now try it with any gear that has only 1 small ink saver main, and another gear having 1 small ink saver main , then another gear with 1 main ink saver sub. You can get an extra shot despite having 1 less ink saver main!

What is going on?
Did you use any damage up for the 2nd testing with only 2 small ink saver mains? I'm getting different results.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
:ability_inksaversub:main:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: sub = 2 shots
:ability_inksaversub: main on one gear, :ability_inksavermain: sub on another, and :ability_inksavermain: sub on another = 1 shot

At least for me. No Damage Up subs on the gear.

Shadowcat

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Shadowcat96
:ability_inksaversub:main:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: sub = 2 shots
:ability_inksaversub: main on one gear, :ability_inksavermain: sub on another, and :ability_inksavermain: sub on another = 1 shot

At least for me. No Damage Up subs on the gear.
This is what i'm getting, he must have used strength up, I've testing 2 small ink saver mains on different gear and 1 main ink saver sub with 1 strength up sub and I got 3 shots.

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
I took a video of it happening

First run I have :ability_inksaversub:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:) and 2nd run I have :ability_inksaversub: and 2:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: spread across different gear

As seen in the video, I get an extra shot the 2nd run

(sorry for the bad video quality)

Nikey

Inkling
NNID
Nikkeli
I took a video of it happening

First run I have :ability_inksaversub:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:) and 2nd run I have :ability_inksaversub: and 2:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: spread across different gear

As seen in the video, I get an extra shot the 2nd run

(sorry for the bad video quality)
You have a sub of damage up the second test which lets you kill the big dummies in one less shots with the 96. That means you actually shot one bullet less on the second test.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
Why do I have a feeling a programmer was having a really bad day, so they decided to make the perk system as strange and convoluted as possible?
"And now abilities give less of a boost each time you stack them, except some times if you have them on different gear pieces it'll give a slightly higher boost, but sometimes it won't."
"Uh, sir, don't you think that's a bit too much?"
"No! It's not harsh enough! Wait, I got it! .....Random rerolls."

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
I tried it with 1 :ability_damage: sub, 2 :ability_inksavermain: subs, and 1 :ability_inksaversub: main. Resulted in hitting the 3rd test dummy with 3 shots as shown in the above video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom