1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Abilities spead across different gear are more effective than on 1 gear?

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by dukevin, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dukevin

dukevin Senior Squid

NNID:
    dukevin
    So, all the info we have out there says that it does not matter if the abilities are on one piece of gear vs multiple gears.

But when I try this, it seems to be more effective if spread across different gear. I can't take a video because i have a CRT TV and it won't show up on camera... but can any of you explain this?

Go to firing range and align yourself facing towards all 3 large balloons so that when you destroy 1, the next shot hits the next balloon (this makes it easier to count). Equip the .96 gal deco.
    - Have 3 small ink saver main on piece of gear and a main ink saver sub (i had it on same gear: the Strapping Whites)
    Throw a splash wall and immediately start shooting the large balloons. You can kill 2 balloons and get 2 shots on the next balloon before running out of ink.
    - Now try it with any gear that has only 1 small ink saver main, and another gear having 1 small ink saver main , then another gear with 1 main ink saver sub. You can get an extra shot despite having 1 less ink saver main!

What is going on?

2. Ruffigan

Ruffigan Inkling

NNID:
    Ruffigan
    I remember reading something to this effect on reddit when the game first came out but haven't heard anything about it since then. Something along the lines of the 2nd and 3rd instance of the same sub on an item being worth half of the first. But I thought it was discovered that it didn't matter which item the sub was on, just the total number determines their worth?

3. Flammie

Flammie Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    FlammieLL
    That would make sense in one way actually.
    Judd does mention that stashing the same type of ability may not be a good idea and the pooled ability is reduced for every more of the same one there is.
    But spreading the ability across 3 gears seperately may be more useful?

I discovered something similair with damage up too, when using one gear with two damage up and main vs two gears with seperate damage up and one main, the latter dealt some more damage...

In long term i don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but if you happen to get triple damage up on a damage up gear already, i don't think it's worth 200 rolls to regret it.

4. Chocolil

Chocolil Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    EricirE
    You guys might want to recheck the gear you were using.

The abilities just depend on the number.

5. Karonax

Karonax Octobrushinobi

NNID:
    Karonax
    An interesting idea, if it's true everyone will have a lot of painful re-rolling to do.

6. dukevin

dukevin Senior Squid

NNID:
    dukevin
    I triple checked and spreading abilities across different gear is more effective. I'll post a video later

7. Shadowcat

Shadowcat Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Shadowcat96
    Did you use any damage up for the 2nd testing with only 2 small ink saver mains? I'm getting different results.

VideoGameVirtuoso likes this.
  8. Chocolil

Chocolil Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    EricirE
    :ability_inksaversub:main:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: sub = 2 shots
    :ability_inksaversub: main on one gear, :ability_inksavermain: sub on another, and :ability_inksavermain: sub on another = 1 shot

At least for me. No Damage Up subs on the gear.

9. Shadowcat

Shadowcat Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Shadowcat96
    This is what i'm getting, he must have used strength up, I've testing 2 small ink saver mains on different gear and 1 main ink saver sub with 1 strength up sub and I got 3 shots.

10. dukevin

dukevin Senior Squid

NNID:
    dukevin
    I took a video of it happening

First run I have :ability_inksaversub:( :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:) and 2nd run I have :ability_inksaversub: and 2:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: spread across different gear

As seen in the video, I get an extra shot the 2nd run

(sorry for the bad video quality)

11. Chocolil

Chocolil Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    EricirE
    Your hat in the second portion has a damage up sub on it.

Demiose and VideoGameVirtuoso like this.
  12. Nikey

Nikey Inkling

NNID:
    Nikkeli
    You have a sub of damage up the second test which lets you kill the big dummies in one less shots with the 96. That means you actually shot one bullet less on the second test.

VideoGameVirtuoso likes this.
  13. DekuKitty

DekuKitty Pro Squid

NNID:
    SkyeHunter
    Why do I have a feeling a programmer was having a really bad day, so they decided to make the perk system as strange and convoluted as possible?
    "And now abilities give less of a boost each time you stack them, except some times if you have them on different gear pieces it'll give a slightly higher boost, but sometimes it won't."
    "Uh, sir, don't you think that's a bit too much?"
    "No! It's not harsh enough! Wait, I got it! .....Random rerolls."

14. HubandLux

HubandLux Inkling

NNID:
    HubandLux
    I tried this with Damage Up and it did not work.

15. Chocolil

Chocolil Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    EricirE
    I tried it with 1 :ability_damage: sub, 2 :ability_inksavermain: subs, and 1 :ability_inksaversub: main. Resulted in hitting the 3rd test dummy with 3 shots as shown in the above video.

dukevin likes this.
  16. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    Didn't @Box do a bunch of testing that was corroborated by independent Japanese players which basically refutes all of this?

Check out his "how to calculate gear abilities" thread.