1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Accidentally Activating My Special

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by kunoichi squid, Aug 18, 2017.

1. kunoichi squid

kunoichi squid Inkling Cadet

Does anyone else have trouble accidentally activating their specials when playing Salmon Run? I have to wonder if this is is because I'm using the joy con grip. My hands are relatively small, just FYI. Anyway, just wondering if I'm the only one and/or some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Mr. 9 likes this.
  2. MindWanderer

MindWanderer Inkling Commander

NNID:
    MindWanderer
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5961-6763-3987
    I've always had that problem, too, regardless of controller, and in Splatoon 1 too. It maddens me that they assigned it to the right stick when L and A are unused.

Mr. 9 and kunoichi squid like this.
  3. Squee-G

Squee-G Inkling

Personally, I've never had the problem, but I could see how you might do it. I would recommend using thumbstick caps for your joy-cons, at least for me, they make the sticks feel clickier when you press down, so I think they might help out. Personally, I like using the Mibote set.

kunoichi squid likes this.
  4. Agent Z

Agent Z Inkling Commander

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-2700-4413-3630
    I hate it when that happens, especially when it's a Sting Ray that I would've badly needed later.

5. swimmingknife

swimmingknife Semi-Pro Squid

Yeah, I used to do this a lot, particularly in tense situations when I'd be gripping my controller a little harder than I really needed to. Though I use a Pro Controller most of the time and still have the issue, so it doesn't seem to be a joy-con specific problem.

One thing that I've found can help is pushing the stick around from the sides rather than resting your thumb on top. It makes it a lot harder to accidentally press the stick in. It also makes moving the camera around a little slower, but not to the point where it's noticeably impacted my performance. I find you generally don't need to be wrenching the camera around too fast in Salmon Run anyway.

6. sammich

sammich Inkling Cadet

i've pressed it by accident, like reflexes from when i'm using other weapons ("NOW!!" oh wait this isn't what i thought it was), but i've never had a mechanical accident where my finger slipped.

maybe we hold the controller differently. i always control the sticks with the middle/ball of my thumbs rather than the tips.

#6 sammich, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
    Premium

NNID:
    RespawningJesus
    I don't have this problem at all, but I remember when I first started playing games like Lost Planet, which had the reload button be R3, then I would have problems accidentally clicking the stick in the middle of a fight. You just sort of learn over time to control yourself.

8. Nuddlmaus

Nuddlmaus Pro Squid

NNID:
    Nuddlmaus
    No never happened to me, but yeah I WISH REMAPPING WAS REAL! XD

NBSink and kunoichi squid like this.
  9. FGPackers

FGPackers Inkster Jr.

I'm using joy-co grip too and i'm not having this problem. Maybe you put too much pressure on the right stick?

10. Xystance

Xystance Inkling

I feel the controller being smaller and the sticks being more sensitive and easier to push down has led to easy special activation. Sharp turns have caused me to activate it when they did not in Splatoon 1.

11. kunoichi squid

kunoichi squid Inkling Cadet

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, comments, etc. Glad to know I'm not the only one and hopefully we (all of us who have issues like I described) can either cope or learn how to retrain our thumbs. :D

12. Mr. 9

Mr. 9 Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    interesting_deal
    Oh wow bro, you just brought up a sore subject for me... Yeah, this squid is guilty as charged on the accidental activation front. I haven't managed to pull it off in Salmon Run, but I've done it too many times to maintain any dignity in in both Splatoon 1 and 2. For me, it's always when I get in a really sticky/intense situation, which can happen quite a bit since I have a very aggressive play style. It's killed me more times than I can count, but the good news is that somehow I got to S+ in Splatoon 1 and am currently at S in 2 anyway. The bad news is that I keep doing it whenever I'm surrounded on all sides by bad guys, ha ha. At this point I guess it's gonna be hard to stop, but I wish I could...

13. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

If I were to guess I'd say it's most likely due to using the grip instead of a pro controller, I've never really had this issue. The opposite, actually! I always forget to use mine until it's too late.