• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ace Attorney social thread

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Discuss the Ace Attorney series here.

...So thread goal right now: Find Ace Attorney fans on Squidboards.

Do you like Ace Attorney? Are you interested in the series?

Spoiler Policy: You may be spoiled on the series in this thread. That said, please avoid spoiling Ace Attorney Investigations 2. If you must, please use spoiler tags!

Last edited:

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh... that track is so good. I have to dine with on.

On topic, I've played every Ace Attorney game except for Dual Destinies and the spinoffs.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
when will capcom jp let capcom usa localize dai gyakuten saiban

i don't want it to be another gyakuten kenji 2

Moydow

Inkling

do we have one of these on the other site? Hm...

when will capcom jp let capcom usa localize dai gyakuten saiban

i don't want it to be another gyakuten kenji 2
At least with GK2 there's a fan translation... It'll be a long time before we'll be able to do one of those for 3DS.
Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the whole Meiji-era theme if they do translate it - I'd like to see them keep it in Japan, but on the other hand, it would fit right in with the translators' Japanese LA setting.

Last edited:

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
Considering the fact that it take place in the Meiji-era, with you playing as Wright's ancestor, there is no reason to change a lot of things. Especially since a bulk of it takes place in London, where many things would be in English anyways.

Moydow

Inkling
So, favourite case in the series, anyone? Mine is the final case of JfA, no doubt.
Just so many twists and turns in this case:
* The judge's gavel slamming down at the end of the first day - have you failed? Is Maya really...? And then de Killer calls and decides to let her off the hook for another day...
* Engarde making you want to believe he's innocent the whole way through the case - and then: "How do you do... Mister Lawyer? I'm Matt Engarde."
* De Killer taking to the stand - what if I press him the wrong way - will he kill Maya there and then if I fail?

It's got everything, in my opinion, and I don't think the series has come close to it since (T&T case 5 is next best for me, but it has its flaws).

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Oh... that track is so good. I have to dine with on.

On topic, I've played every Ace Attorney game except for Dual Destinies and the spinoffs.
Why haven't you played Dual Destinies? No 3DS? Hatred of digital downloads? (Better get used to it, unfortunately.)

Considering the fact that it take place in the Meiji-era, with you playing as Wright's ancestor, there is no reason to change a lot of things. Especially since a bulk of it takes place in London, where many things would be in English anyways.
Yeah, this is why I don't understand why people think there would be localisation issues. There is no contradiction between the original story of Dai Gyakuten Saiben and present-day localisation of Ace Attorney. You can easily have both.
Besides, I always found this a trite thing. Capcom USA is fully aware that the Ace Attorney fanbase is very informed and knows how things really are with regards to the game being from Japan. They're keeping up this Japanifornia thing just for kicks (and consistency) and shouldn't make selling-the-game-or-not decisions based on it!

So, favourite case in the series, anyone? Mine is the final case of JfA, no doubt.
Just so many twists and turns in this case:
* The judge's gavel slamming down at the end of the first day - have you failed? Is Maya really...? And then de Killer calls and decides to let her off the hook for another day...
* Engarde making you want to believe he's innocent the whole way through the case - and then: "How do you do... Mister Lawyer? I'm Matt Engarde."
* De Killer taking to the stand - what if I press him the wrong way - will he kill Maya there and then if I fail?

It's got everything, in my opinion, and I don't think the series has come close to it since (T&T case 5 is next best for me, but it has its flaws).
Case 2 of Justice For All is definitely amazing.
That said, my favourite case of the series isn't necessarily the most intense or serious or anything, since I take value in well-executed light-hearted stuff. So my favourite case might actually be Case 3 of Trials & Tribulations. It's always stuck out to me as being the best "filler case" in the series, and why not have filler be the best?

Also 'cause this:

Moydow

Inkling
So my favourite case might actually be Case 3 of Trials & Tribulations. It's always stuck out to me as being the best "filler case" in the series, and why not have filler be the best?

Also 'cause this:
Yeah, that's definitely a good one as well, best "filler" case for sure.

The Tiger's theme is pretty good as well - in fact, that entire album is amazing.

Moydow

Inkling
Dual Destinies was alright, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as any of the original trilogy, or GK2. Much better than AJ, though, and just above GK1, in my opinion.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Dual Destinies was alright, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as any of the original trilogy, or GK2. Much better than AJ, though, and just above GK1, in my opinion.
My tier list:

Trials & Tribulations > Dual Destinies > Ace Attorney > Layton vs. Wright > Apollo Justice > Justice For All > Ace Attorney Investigations

Unrated: Ace Attorney Investigations 2

Moydow

Inkling
1. Trials and Tribulations (the most consistently good; as in, it doesn't have any cases I really dislike)
2. Justice For All (because case 4)
3. Phoenix Wright
=4. Gyakuten Kenji 2
=4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
6. Dual Destinies
7. Investigations
8. Apollo Justice (I feel like there should be more space between this and the rest, but *shrug*)

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Case 4 of Justice For All is amazing, but... that's all you can say about Justice For All.
It's not like Kirby Air Ride where you can ignore Air Ride and Top Ride modes and proclaim the game to be one of the best ever because of City Trial.

You have to play through three substandard to completely horrible cases to get to it. That's getting points off. Big points off.

I actually replayed Apollo Justice's case 2 relatively recently and... actually it's better than I remember. Heck, the touch screen stuff is underrated.

Moydow

Inkling
Yeah, the third case is pretty awful, but the second one is not so bad in my opinion. First one is just a tutorial - a bit daft, but most tutorials are.

AJ case 2 is by far my least favourite in that game, and in fact the entire series - goddamn Wocky kills it for me - but I have a lot of problems with every case in it, and the game in general (the soundtrack is hell. I'd rather PW1's primitive GBA soundtrack than AJ's). The touch-screen forensics games were the best thing about that game, though.

I'm just going to copy/paste a short review I did of AJ on the other site here (note that this was a few months ago. Since then I've replayed most of the original trilogy and DD, and my opinion of AJ has fallen further):
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

+ The writing, while it doesn't stand up to the originals, still has its moments. It's still better writing than I've come to expect from most video games.
+ There are a couple of good characters - the Gavin brothers are the two strongest characters in the game, in my opinion. The witnesses aren't as interesting as in the original games, but there are a handful of standouts.
+ The forensic examination sections are quite fun, and make a nice diversion from the simple "point out the contradiction" gameplay the few times they come up.

~ The interaction between Apollo and Trucy feels like a weaker facsimile of that between Phoenix and Maya. This isn't a bad thing as such, since I like Phoenix and Maya, but more could have been done to make the two pairs of characters more distinct from each other, rather than just magic vs. spirit channelling.
~ The general plot regarding Phoenix's disbarment works - but it completely consumes any chance Apollo might have had of having his own story, distinct from Phoenix's, develop.
~ I like the idea of perception, but I just feel like it should be more strict about penalising trying to perceive the wrong statement/body part. As it is, you can perceive whatever you want, whenever you want, with no risk. It's fairer than penalising getting a Psyche-Lock question wrong (since that affects you in court as well as out), but still imbalanced.

- Phoenix. His personality just feels wrong. "But he's been disbarred for 7 years" - no. You don't just become aloof and head-in-the-clouds like that for no reason, and it isn't adequately explained why he is the way he is.
- The soundtrack is the weakest overall in the series. It has a few standout tracks, like Apollo and Klavier's themes, but otherwise it's quite poor. I can't even begin to describe how much I dislike the cross-examination themes.
- The real culprits in the second and third cases are immediately predictable as soon as they're introduced, to the point that you're basically figuring out how to confirm your suspicions, instead of finding who did it. Even the first case - the real killer may seem like a big plot twist at first, but when you think about it, it's pretty obvious.
- The defendant of the second case is unlikeable; at no point did I actually feel like I wanted to save him, which in a game about saving people from false accusations is a pretty glaring weakness.
- Phoenix doesn't feel like Phoenix, in the one part of the game in which he's supposed to be "classic" Phoenix (the "7 Years Ago" trial). He's always had his moments of ****iness here and there, but he comes across as downright arrogant here: "there's no substitute for experience" or however he puts it. I can picture Winston Payne saying that, but not Phoenix.
- Maya's total absence in the past sections, which is a plot hole - she doesn't even get mentioned, despite the ending of AA3 stating that she wasn't going anywhere, and I doubt she was going to miss a trial as significant as Zak Gramarye's, or abandon Phoenix in his hour of need.

The main problem, in my opinion, is that the game in general just feels like "Shu Takumi's Contractual Obligation Game", whereas with the original trilogy, it really felt like he was doing them because he wanted to, and not just because of the money/his higher-ups told him to; in particular, the simple fact that Phoenix appears in the game at all. I honestly think the game would have been all the better without him, since it would have given the space needed for Apollo to have his own story, and to have some character development of his own.

6.9/10 because, as much as I struggled to think up positive points, the game still had something that kept me from outright disliking it - I can't quite put my finger on it, but the overall experience feels more positive than negative - just. I mean, something is clearly wrong when your personal highlights of the entire game are two pieces of background furniture in the second case (which is otherwise my least favourite case in the entire series), but I still can't say I actually dislike the game.

Snivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sonicxpika
Ahh. I was hoping there was a thread like this around. I love Ace Attorney.

Anyone hear about the new game coming out? After the apollo justice one I'm not sure how I feel about phoenix being replaced again.

AEM

The Saltsui no Hadou
I wouldn't worry too much about DGS, it's looking pretty nice.

The fact that this is a completely new world with "new" characters really interests me (I use "new" because Sherlock Holmes isn't exactly a new character in fictional media, though he seems to be interpreted in unique way).
Apollo Justice was supposed to do away with Phoenix at first, but he was shoehorned in by Capcom. I'm perfectly okay with learning about new characters, the lack of any real backstory to Apollo's kinda bugged me since AJ was still pretty focused on Phoenix and Apollo had to share screen time with Athena AND Phoenix (but to a much lesser extent) in DD.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Played the 4 first games. Just going to sum it up:

(probably my favorite case in the whole series for now, though 3 had neat ones too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom