• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Advice for a struggling inkling

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
Hello.
Look, I'll cut to the chase:
On paper, I love Splatoon. The concept is unique, the characters are cute...everything about it is wonderful.
In practice, though...I just can't enjoy it.
I feel like I'm not good enough with any weapon (even less so with my mains, the dualie class), and feel as though every match is dependent on two factors: if we lose, it's my fault.
If we win, it's because my team-mates are leagues better than me.

I really, really want to enjoy this game, because it's so unique and the community is so caring, but I feel I'm at the end of my rope...

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Do you do Salmon Run when it comes up? I definitely upped my game playing it and also found a few weapons I really enjoy and use pretty well also. Would of never gave them a shot if it was not for Mr.Grizz making me use them..

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Sounds like you are suffering from a dry spell like I am. I can't seem to play it as of late, and resort back to other things in order to kill off the mood. So maybe you need a large break right now, and not worry about it, it happens.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Don't discredit yourself on victories: Even if you felt like you didn't contribute much, you still won. You still pulled your weight hard enough to prevent a defeat. You can certainly learn from both defeats and wins, but in general it's not something to really fret over. I'm in S+ and even then i still get the occassional unlucky 1-6.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Mendax, What are your main weapons? Which weapon do you enjoy the most? Do you have a lot of experience with Splatoon?

Something which helps, is to go to the 'practice room' in Sheldon's store, and try to improve your aim there. I do it sometimes, but not often enough (!). There are videos on YouTube that show various kinds of practice sessions you can follow.

If you have a good friend who's a great Splatoon player, don't be afraid to ask for tips and tricks.
If you want, we can play together and I can give you pointers. I like helping peeps out. *^.^*

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Trick all your friends into buying Splatoon, and then play with them. This game is worlds better playing with people you know.

Barring that, make some new friends here and play with them. Like @Wosie, who just offered to play with you.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Trick all your friends into buying Splatoon, and then play with them. This game is worlds better playing with people you know.

Barring that, make some new friends here and play with them. Like @Wosie, who just offered to play with you.
Couldn't agree more about the playing with friends thing.

The most important thing in this game is to have fun, so pick a weapon you enjoy. This helps in 2 ways - you have fun, so you won't be so hard on yourself, and you'll be more motivated to get better.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
For your current skill level, you're going to have to accept where you're at and work on improving. There's no other way to do this. I guess the only problem you might be having is if you're using a weapon that isn't good.
For your experience with teams, this is a solo queue problem, and I haven't seen a team-based game yet that doesn't have this problem in solo queue. The only solution is to find some people you trust and play with them regularly, preferably using voice chat.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Sounds like you're a mid to short-range weapon fan. That involves a lot of flanking, sharking, and other close-combat tactics. Could you go into more detail as to how you play? How do you approach the Zone or Tower? If you tell us about your playstyle, we can provide appropriate advice :) Feel free to add me as well, I'd be happy to play with you and do what I can to help you improve.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Also, are you talking about Turf Wars or Ranked? Turf Wars is much more random, with getting allies and enemies at vastly different skill levels. You're more likely to be an equal contributor in Ranked. I feel much the same way as you in Turf Wars, but now that I'm in A rank, I feel like I'm doing my part either way.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Also, are you talking about Turf Wars or Ranked? Turf Wars is much more random, with getting allies and enemies at vastly different skill levels. You're more likely to be an equal contributor in Ranked. I feel much the same way as you in Turf Wars, but now that I'm in A rank, I feel like I'm doing my part either way.
There's also this weird thing where, if you aren't a black hole of a player, ranked gets easier the higher up you go because (theoretically at least) you'll be playing with better players. B rank may give you more games where you demolish the other team by yourself, but it also gives you teammates who just don't know the very basics of how to play.

And, heck, that might be the OP here. I can't speak for your game, but I know that there was a learning curve for me in Splatoon 1 while I was trying to learn how to be effective in those modes. I'm still very very very much learning today.

That's part of it, too. This game has a very high learning curve compared to other shooters, so it takes time. It takes time to rank up and it takes time to learn how to be very effective. I'd take @Dessgeega up on his offer, though. Tell us your playstyle/approach and friend the man.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Personally I always have certain phases where I just don't do well as well. You're not alone in this. Many people have the occasional lows in games, and they sometimes last a lot longer than you'd think.

Be that as it may though, do keep in mind that your own performance is extremely dependent on your team's performance. Now I'm absolutely against blaming one's team for every loss, but the exact opposite isn't good either. This game is all about territorial advantages, which your team must provide. The more you have, the more efficiently you perform. And it is not solely up to you to provide that for yourself, which simply doesn't work in team matches. So please do remember, even if you notice you didn't get many kills, you cannot automatically conclude this is your fault alone, or sometimes even your fault at all. Especially with the completely catastrophic matchmaking of Turf War for example, you'll constantly meet people who like to spend the first and most vital moments of the match turfing every single spot of your base why your opponent makes an approach with absolutely nothing stopping them. In situations like these you simply are at a disadvantage and perform worse. That's the natural order of team play.

As for actual solutions though: The way you talk about your own performances, this may just be the psychological factor dragging you down. Believing you're not as good makes sure you won't be. I think what could help you is to loosen up a bit in other modes. Play with friends for casual Twin Squad matches. That's what helps me during my lows. Playing with more appropriate matchmaking and in a far less competitive mode (in the sense that winning or losing doesn't really matter too much) just helps you advance in a more patronizing environment.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
Ah...sorry for the lack of information in the initial post, I was a bit out of it... ^^;
To clarify:
I am B+ in SZ, A- in TC and A in RM, and have been playing Splatoon since August of 2015.
@Wosie
I use the Dualies, mainly the Hero Dualie Replicas, and Dapple Dualies.
Admittedly, none of the current Dualie sets really fit me...they either have a sub or special that I can't use properly.
That said, I find them very fun to play as.
@Dessgeega
When playing Ranked, I almost always head straight for the objective. If it's captured by the other team, I might hide or hang back a tad for an ambush attempt, but other than that I'm not sure what to say.
While I love the roll concept, I've found that it's mostly better to slowly approach an enemy hidden in ink: you aren't seen, and you have the peace and time to quietly line up your shots prior to emerging.
Mainly roll for quick-falls or to evade/backstep bombs and the like quickly.
@Spaceswitchmars @BBGrenorange
I don't really have many friends who play Splatoon: they either don't have it (IRL) or are in America (-12 hour time difference)
That said, I do have a girlfriend who plays it often, and she's amazing at it...we've been trying to league together as often as we can.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
@Mendax, Now I see things more clearly. :) All righty, so first and foremostly--you're using weapons that you very much enjoy using. That's great. :D That's already a big positive, as it's much harder to improve with a weapon you feel out of sync with.

I've personally only used the Dualies once or twice, so I can't remember its subs and specials. I'll have to check them out. *^.^*
(Splat Dualies: Burst Bombs & Tenta Missiles | Dapple Dualies: Squid Beacon & Suction Bomb Rush) They both seem like they have nice kits! The first set is more offensive, while the second one is a little more supportive, due to it having Squid Beacons. Remember, if you're using Tenta Missiles, never stand out in the open. I don't know how many Inklings I've splatted, due to them just starting their Tenta Missile launch right in the middle of the field. Try to stand behind a wall (or well out of another Inkling's range) when you launch them. As for Squid Beacons... They can be very helpful. I never use them myself, but I love me a good Beacon user! Try to place them behind a wall as well, or high up on a ledge, where the opposing team will have a hard time destroying them.

Oh, and, when you use a Bomb Rush special, remember to also shoot with your weapon if there are enemies around! It can be hard to double-task, but if you don't (and you get too focused on throwing bombs) somebody might take advantage of that and splat you from the side/back.

Have you tried using the Ninja Squid main ability? I see you're also a low range-player, like I am, and Ninja Squidding has helped me tremendously!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Be that as it may though, do keep in mind that your own performance is extremely dependent on your team's performance. Now I'm absolutely against blaming one's team for every loss, but the exact opposite isn't good either.

Sometimes it's you. Sometimes it's one or more very bad teammates. Sometimes everyone is individually good but just don't click as a team. Chemistry is a really hard thing to put together in any team game, and because it's so hard and the matchmaking in this game is so weird, losing streaks aren't uncommon at all. Sprinkle, on top of those chemistry issues, some poor teammates and your own poor performances, and you have a down streak like Ulk mentioned.

I don't really have many friends who play Splatoon: they either don't have it (IRL) or are in America (-12 hour time difference)
That said, I do have a girlfriend who plays it often, and she's amazing at it...we've been trying to league together as often as we can.
I league with my wife every day. Even if one (or neither) of you weren't amazing, it's tons of fun. Hopefully you can do more of that, my man.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When playing Ranked, I almost always head straight for the objective. If it's captured by the other team, I might hide or hang back a tad for an ambush attempt, but other than that I'm not sure what to say.
While I love the roll concept, I've found that it's mostly better to slowly approach an enemy hidden in ink: you aren't seen, and you have the peace and time to quietly line up your shots prior to emerging.
Mainly roll for quick-falls or to evade/backstep bombs and the like quickly.
Do you head straight for the objective? It's not always wise to do that. Given your weapon choice it's just as valid to immediately circle around and attempt to ambush foes on their side of the map. Painting the Zone is one thing, but immediately grabbing the rainmaker or riding the tower is a bad idea. It's better to take out foes and make an opening for a strong push before taking the objective, at least right at the start of the match - Once the fighting and chaos are under way things can change very rapidly.

Yeah, the rolls are best for spacing, flanking a foe in close quarters and generally putting yourself in a better position. Using them aggressively is generally a gamble, since if you roll at someone with intent to kill, if you miss... you can't move. Sounds like you're a fan of sharking - the key there is upping your reaction time so you can quickly surprise foes and move on to the next one.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
so...
was just in an RM match, and I'm so, so annoyed...

Current rank level at the time. Highest rank yet, one win needed, one loss and it goes to hell.
and of course...
I lose.
by 1 point.
in overtime.

having had the lead the whole match, and making as much use as I could of the Dapple's support role.
'Scuse me while I cry...

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Dapples are not a support weapon, they are a slayer weapon. Their range is abysmal, but combined with their speed buff, very high damage output and rolls they have a lot of options to swiftly reduce someone's HP from hundred to zero.

If you want a true support weapon, try the Jet Squelcher. They have plenty of options to soften targets up, pick off stragglers or ink ground. If you really want to practise being support, try out that weapon!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
If you're gonna continue using dualies of any stripe, then you must improve on your roll game. Otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice.

One concept to work with is imagine yourself and the target standing on an isosceles triangle. If you're on the base and they're on the point, roll to one side, then aim at an angle towards them. If you're at the point and they're at the base, roll at an angle towards them, then straight at them. These rolls, to me, are less about evasion and more about quartering your target. Forcing them to evade and waste time reacting to you even when they get the first hit in or had the initiative against you.

Also, learn a rhythm to your rolls. The startup and cooldown to what actions you can perform before and after a roll. The length of your rolls and how much ink they consume. In the long run this will help you in not performing unnecessary rolls that just waste ink or knowing you have enough ink left for that one critical roll out of danger.

Did you know you can roll immediately out of ink? Just swim along—then BAM—roll out of ink into combined firing. You can also do this while swimming along walls, a drop roll that can land you right behind your target.

But maybe most importantly is working on your controls and aim as you roll. I'm thinking that's one of the bigger problems most dualie users have when performing a roll: come out with their aim so far off target they waste ink and time trying to hit them. You want to be able to keep a lock on your target or at least make a slight adjustment when you come out of a roll.

Part of this I slowly figured out for myself through salty trial-and-error, and part of this I swiftly learned by happenstance during a random video search and met Uni's channel:
I've looked at some of her other videos... she sounds almost like my internal monologue when playing. @_@

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Ah the path of trying to main Dualies. I know this all to well. I don't think they're suited to all game modes, but if you main them in all modes and do well, you're a better fella than me. I gave up, and started trying other weapons in different game modes. I still think Dualies are excellent for Rainmaker and Turf War.

I don't really use Dapple Dualies, but Splat Dualies are another story. The burst bombs are your friend. When using Dualies, I always equip just enough Ink Saver Sub to lob 3 of them at once if I need to (1 main 3 subs). 3 indirect burst bombs is often enough for a splat, and it often catches the opponent off guard. If you're just out of range of someone you're about to battle, lob a burst bomb to soften them up and keep them from escaping. They also help put pressure on enemies with a higher range than you. I just wouldn't recommend on using Burst Bombs as a crutch.

There's also knowing which enemies to try to flank, and which ones you can destroy head-to-head. You would think you would stand a chance against N-Zaps and Splattershots since you have the same range, but they out-DPS Splat Dualies, so it might be best to flank them, or soften them with a Burst Bomb. Even then, every time I go against either even with a direct hit with a Burst Bomb, we end up trading. Aerosprays, Whatever-o-Matics, Splattershot Jr, and Brushes should all be fine to take on directly. This makes Splat Dualies good in Turf, since all of those weapons are so freaking common. Everything else probably out-ranges you, so flank 'em.

For good flanking ideas....I'm still kind of gray on. I still blunder and get myself noticed. I've found that using allies as a distraction helps. I have been doing that lately in Turf War with good results. I also do it with a Blaster.

Now for why I think Dualies are great for Rainmaker. In Rainmaker, it's easy to use the Rainmaker as a distraction. Just hide a little bit, or go a little outside of the Rainmaker's path, and you can get some easy splats. You're also likely the number one guy for taking out the shield. You gotta go fast in Rainmaker, and Dualies do that in spades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom