• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Advice on making a bomb spam setup?

Ac℮

Inkster Jr.
Walleye Warehouse, Moray Towers, and Wahoo World
NNID
MyPetCocoa
Switch Friend Code
SW-7135-3637-2316
So I've been doing research into making a gear set that can let me spam sub weapons, probably bombs. According to what I know, you need about 36 points, or three main, two subs, of sub savor to get to use an extra splat bomb. Which leaves me seven or six sub slots for something else. And that's the problem I am having, I can't think of what I want to fill the other sub slots with to best help such a strange setup. Bomb Power Up to increase range? If so, how many bomb power up subs would amount to a noticeable difference? Ink Recovery Up? Would seven ink recovery up subs make a noticeable difference on the rate I could spam bombs? I just can't figure out what would be best to add to 36 points of ink savor sub to allow more bomb uses? Any suggestions?

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
From testing, the best Ink Recovery Up setup you can have in this situation makes you a little under half a second faster at deploying four bombs as quickly as possible (about 18 frames). It'll definitely add up over time, but you're not going to be performing psuedo-bomb rushes on the fly. A full set of sub saver provides an even faster result (about 25 frames), though the overspecialization will probably hurt more than it helps.

If you want to specialize in two abilities, two mains and five subs of will get you better results. Personally, I would recommend:
Comeback-BombRush.png
OR
LDR-BombRush.png

These will allow you to throw bombs the most frequently, though under different circumstances. Both allow you to have the normal utility subs (Quick Super Jump, Bomb Defense DX and Ink Resistance Up) and an extra sub for whatever other ability you might want.
Comeback's results are virtually identical to a main of IRU while active, but under ideal circumstances Last-Ditch Effort outdoes them all, saving a little over half a second each time (about 38 frames). Which of the three you run comes down to preference, but LDE's overall results would make it my pick.

Finally, there's a couple specials you could use to do a 4-bomb rush on a whim. Bubble Blower and Ink Armor allow you to throw bombs immediately on activation, making them the fastest, followed by Ink Storm, Tenta Missiles, Splashdown and Ultra Stamp. This won't work with Booyah Bomb, Baller, Sting Ray and Inkjet since you can't throw bombs while using them.

I hope this was useful!

Ac℮

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyPetCocoa
Switch Friend Code
SW-7135-3637-2316
From testing, the best Ink Recovery Up setup you can have in this situation makes you a little under half a second faster at deploying four bombs as quickly as possible (about 18 frames). It'll definitely add up over time, but you're not going to be performing psuedo-bomb rushes on the fly. A full set of sub saver provides an even faster result (about 25 frames), though the overspecialization will probably hurt more than it helps.

If you want to specialize in two abilities, two mains and five subs of will get you better results. Personally, I would recommend:
View attachment 7503 OR View attachment 7504
These will allow you to throw bombs the most frequently, though under different circumstances. Both allow you to have the normal utility subs (Quick Super Jump, Bomb Defense DX and Ink Resistance Up) and an extra sub for whatever other ability you might want.
Comeback's results are virtually identical to a main of IRU while active, but under ideal circumstances Last-Ditch Effort outdoes them all, saving a little over half a second each time (about 38 frames). Which of the three you run comes down to preference, but LDE's overall results would make it my pick.

Finally, there's a couple specials you could use to do a 4-bomb rush on a whim. Bubble Blower and Ink Armor allow you to throw bombs immediately on activation, making them the fastest, followed by Ink Storm, Tenta Missiles, Splashdown and Ultra Stamp. This won't work with Booyah Bomb, Baller, Sting Ray and Inkjet since you can't throw bombs while using them.

I hope this was useful!
WOAH this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!

Ac℮

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyPetCocoa
Switch Friend Code
SW-7135-3637-2316
But wait a minute, I read on inkpedia that you need 36 points, basically three mains and two subs, of sub saver to be able to use an extra burst bomb? Wouldn't 35 points, two mains and five subs, not be enough? Also, so is bomb power up to increase range just useless most of the time? I dunno if this would help in your advice, but I only plan to use this set in turf war anyways, just to have a silly goofy setup. Also, thanks for mentioning last ditch effort, I had forgotten about the buff they gave it near the end of the game.

Ac℮

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MyPetCocoa
Switch Friend Code
SW-7135-3637-2316
I want to do silly annoying things with bombs, such as being near the spawn area in the high elevation start maps like Mussel or Moray, and throwing bombs all the way to near the center area, or to the center platform people get on like in Inkblot and Skatepark. I think it would be cool, to see two or three people on the high platform in the middle in those areas, and just being able to throw two splat bombs all the way to the top of the platform while not near the area yet really.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Yeah, two mains and five subs is insufficient for burst bombs, but crosses the threshold for every other bomb type. For practicality's sake, you can run 2 pures of ISS to get that extra burst bomb but you miss a bit of potential on whatever other ability you pick.
SPU + Extra Bombs.png

This setup gives you an extra bomb for every bomb type and the furthest throwing range, which gives you roughly this distance.
No SPU.png
Without SPU
SPU.png
With SPU

This was done with 1 pure SPU, 2 pure ISS. The set I posted above will go ever-so-slightly further. Whether or not it's worthwhile I'll leave for you to decide.
I'm still more partial to abilities that will allow more frequent use, but there's some utility to this setup.

While we're at it, here's a curious setup that will get you the maximum range while still allowing you to throw two bombs on a full tank.
Junior bombs.png

It only works with the Splattershot Jr., but since it's capable of pulling off a 4-bomb rush it should be fun to play around with.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
3 main, 1 sub OR 2 main, 4 sub will get you 3 point sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom