• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Aerosprays in Ranked vs In Turf War

Ben21Falcon

Ben21Falcon
NNID
benh2121
The reason I am writing this is mainly because I see it happening. A LOT.

But anyways, the reason i am here is to address the difference between Aerosprays in ranked and turf war. Before we get in to the details, lets go over the stats of both Aerosprays.

Aerosprays are two weapons u get early in the game. Both of them, the MG and the RG, sacrifice range for an insane amount of fire rate. They also have a somewhat low amount of damage.
The MG, the basic one of the 2, has the seeker and the special Inkzooka. Meanwhile, the RG has ink mines and Inkstrike.

So it is fairly obvious that these two weapons are more viable in turf war. They both have insane fire rate, which is very good for covering turf. In turf war, range doesn't matter as much because people don't focus on killing. The RG is better than the MG in turf war mainly because it has Inkstrike, which helps gain momentum at the end of the match by covering a certain area of turf.

When it comes to ranked mode (Rainmaker, Splat Zones, Tower Control) you would expect to see very little Aerospray play, but that is not the case. In the lower ranks, people tend to use the RG because it is good in turf war. As we all know, turf war and ranked mode are extremely different.

There are many reasons why Aerosprays should not be played as much in ranked mode. First of all, range matters a lot in ranked. In the higher ranks, it is more common to see weapons with a lot of range (Jet Squelcher, .96 Gal Deco). Because Aerosprays do not have much range, people will outrange you with no problem and get the kill. Now, the MG has Seekers and Inkzooka, which give it some range. This makes it more viable than the RG in ranked mode. Another reason that these weapons aren't as good in ranked is their sub and specials. For example the Aerospray RG has inkmines and inkstrike. Mines are fairly useless except for in tower control, but a better sub for tower control is the Suction bomb. Inkstrike is mediocre in ranked. The only mode it is really good in is Splat Zones, which is most similar too Turf War. The MG has a better sub and special combination when it comes to ranked mode. Again, both its sub and special weapon give it extra range to challenge longer ranged weapons.

So i hope this rant/analysis of the Aerosprays helps you all out somehow. Make sure to leave a rating and a thumbs up! You can also check out my youtube channel for clips of me playing Splatoon! You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2CyBpmhId5KQfDabdcHJw

Anyways, Ben signing out.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
Sounds like you had a rough time with an Aerospray in ranked, while analytically Aerosprays are a sub par weapon to use, especially in the higher ranks, it shouldn't stop people from playing it if that happens to be a favorite weapon of theirs.

For example, I love the custom splattershot jr to death, but it's terrible range matched with a sub and special more suited for, say a nozzlenose. But I'm still making daredevil plays for the team. I should mention it also helps since I'm running Swim speed to get out of combat asap.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
It's all good brosuke, I don't judge people based on weapon type, i judge people on skill using said weapon type. So I'd legit get pissed if say a tentatek went 2/7 vs a hydra going 2/7 in s rank queues.

Ben21Falcon

Ben21Falcon
NNID
benh2121
It's all good brosuke, I don't judge people based on weapon type, i judge people on skill using said weapon type. So I'd legit get pissed if say a tentatek went 2/7 vs a hydra going 2/7 in s rank queues.
Yeah i know a couple people good with the Aerospray, its just i dont see it doing to well overall.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
In the end, it feels like this thread is an opinion analysis on the aerospray and advertisement to a guy's youtube channel lol.

Last edited:

quilliams

Inkling
NNID
heute.cdw
To be quite honest, I'm loving the Aerospray RG in Splat Zone. Get up high and make it rain down onto the entire zone. Also, inkstrikes every 30 seconds (with how fast it charges) are great. I've even found the inkmine to be really useful in terms of ensuring trades with the enemy, or just defending the zone. It was funny to me, because prior to switching to the RG, I was using the Tri-Slosher, which really wasn't cutting it.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't mind people pick underrated weapons, it's fine honestly. It's many times better than having an E-Liter with a 0/4 KD ratio on your side. That being said though...
I know a lot of newbies love to tackle on underdog weapons to stand out among the herd of tteks and gals, and while most of them have some degree of potential the Aerospray RG is completely awful and unusable. MG at least has ranged options and a great special, RG has both the worst sub and the (arguably) worst special, on top of having zero range and a horrible ttk to boot for it's range. The only thing it has is mobility, which is good because it spends most of its time running away from everyone while stealing turf just so it can fart out Inkstrikes every second. RG's skill floor is as high as it's ceiling, and you've reached it when you use it for the first time.

And believe me, it's not just everywhere in the lower ranks. I keep seeing it in A+ and higher, god knows why someone in S sees Rainmaker and thinks "Allright RG, let's dance!". I seriously don't...

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
god knows why someone in S sees Rainmaker and thinks "Allright RG, let's dance!". I seriously don't...
I chuckled. Anywho, I believe we all know how Aerosprays, more often than not, get ****ted on. However, I think there are some things Aerospray could be good for. Possibly a flanker, cause the lord knows waterboy is taken by some other weapon.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
OP I think you're preaching to the choir for the most part here.

TBH I think if Turf war was played competitively the aerospray wouldn't be viable in it either.

D

Deleted Member

In high level Turf Wars, the Aerospray is pretty terrible. It suffers from its short range, bad accuracy and 5 hits to kill (6 if opponent is running Defense Up). You are easily outranged by nearly every weapon in the game.

And here's the thing. the standard Inkbrush, N-Zap 89 and both Dynamo Rollers are all just as good if not better at inking as the Aerospray RG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben21Falcon

Ben21Falcon
NNID
benh2121
I chuckled. Anywho, I believe we all know how Aerosprays, more often than not, get ****ted on. However, I think there are some things Aerospray could be good for. Possibly a flanker, cause the lord knows waterboy is taken by some other weapon.
100% agree. I think it just needs to be optimized to the point where new tech skill and certain strategy make it a more viable weapon in ranked play. I mean, it has the tools it needs to be good. They just havent been put to use and the stats dont fit in with the "viable" criteria for ranked mode.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
100% agree. I think it just needs to be optimized to the point where new tech skill and certain strategy make it a more viable weapon in ranked play. I mean, it has the tools it needs to be good. They just havent been put to use and the stats dont fit in with the "viable" criteria for ranked mode.
For flanking/kills it has a lower time to kill than many other weapons, so it's not suited for getting quick kills, and the low range doesn't help.
For frontlining it's range is so short it gets outpressured by virtually every weapon, and the bad time to kill doesn't help much here, either.
I don't even think I have to argue against its use in support.

What does it do well? It's good at spreading ink. However, in a ranked match this typically doesn't mean much since most weapons cover enough turf to give you enough space to work with if you're playing properly. The game is typically not about who can spread the most ink the fastest, even in turf war (even in randoms turf war too but it can work in your favor if people are meh at the game). the MG has seekers which can help with rollout on some maps, and the inkzooka is always a solid special. The RG has the ink mines which have several uses, and the inkstrike which is again solid. However you can find all these subs/specials in better sets.

reason meta weapons are what they are aren't because those weapons are super good (though they are), but because the other weapons perform worse than them. There isn't a tech in the world that can make the aerosprays viable unless one gets uncovered that just defies belief at its craziness AND is only doable with the aerosprays. Its stats just happen to be specialized in areas that aren't helpful. Which is ok, not every weapon can be nor should be expected to be viable.

EmptyCell

Inkling
For describing Aerospray's abilities and usage, I agree with @Fightersword
But, in other case. In OP you just described Aerosprays already.
I think we know that, there are some weps that you can use in only in TWs or only in Ranked. So...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom