• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Am I missing something with Respawn Punisher?

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Respawn Punisher's ingame description says it increases respawn time and special charge penalty for you and anyone that splats you. Until I read it I thought it would apply the penalties to yourself and anyone you splatted, as a high-risk high-reward type of ability. But as written, it doesn't seem to be even slightly worth using.

I feel like I have to be missing something with how it works. How much longer does it take to respawn? How much extra special charge do you lose in the process? If you splat someone with this ability, does it ever wear off on its own or are you guaranteed to take the extra respawn penalties when you get splatted yourself? If you splat multiple people with this ability, do the penalties stack? What if you splat the same person with this ability multiple times without getting splatted back?

Why would I ever want to use this ability?

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah from the description it seems really not that good, unless you're somehow confident that A) whoever splats you is more important to the other team than you are to yours and B) they will get splatted during the match

Though someone in the general discussion thread said that they tried it out and it applies to anyone the wearer splats? So I'm just confused now and I'm gonna have to experiment myself to get to the bottom of things.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's useful on long-range weapons that don't tend to die much. A charger that kills many times without dying is adding a whole lot of time to the enemy's respawns.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
It's useful on long-range weapons that don't tend to die much. A charger that kills many times without dying is adding a whole lot of time to the enemy's respawns.
That would make sense, but that's not what the ability says. It says it penalizes anyone who splats you, not anyone you splat. So it's sure to apply no more penalty to the other team than to you. Less, if the same person splats you twice without them being splatted once.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well the text doesn't match up with what I tested with a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
I also tested with someone to confirm, the in-game text is wrong (maybe due to mistranslation/interpretation). Luckily this ability isn't as useless as it initially appeared!

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I heard a main increases respawn time by a little less than a second, if anyone's wondering

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Good to know, I had thought that the in-game description was really odd. Compared to the other respawn based abilities, this was the only one that stood to provide no benefit (And could actually be actively harmful to you) assuming that the people who splatted you were good at avoiding the same fate. Whoever wrote the text for this one must have been asleep at the wheel.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
This is going to be the ability to use if you're stomping pubs. When you're getting a lot of kills, all those seconds of the other team doing nothing is going to be a big deal.

I can't count the number of times I've thought "If only I could keep these people out of my hair for just a little longer".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom