• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

answered

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
errrm, you should probably learn to use it and get used to the discomfort. I mean your skills can be top tier, but without smooth effective comms your team will fail harder than Sander's economic policies. Problem with text related things is you have to look away from the game (in splatoon's case) to read them, then put the controller down to type out a response. for Dpad stuff you just run into the problem of not being able to communicate enough with just that in many cases.

I mean as for uncomfortable, why would you join a team with strangers you barely know? At least get to know them enough to enjoy their company before you shack up in a team with them.

You can be great at splatoon, and you can be a competitively minded player... but you won't get anywhere in a team without good communication. and your substitutes really don't do a good enough job replacing just normal comms speaking.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
There's really no way to forego voice chat. I think it's 100% necessary.

My dog Rudy

Inkster Jr.
errrm, you should probably learn to use it and get used to the discomfort. I mean your skills can be top tier, but without smooth effective comms your team will fail harder than Sander's economic policies. Problem with text related things is you have to look away from the game (in splatoon's case) to read them, then put the controller down to type out a response. for Dpad stuff you just run into the problem of not being able to communicate enough with just that in many cases.

I mean as for uncomfortable, why would you join a team with strangers you barely know? At least get to know them enough to enjoy their company before you shack up in a team with them.

You can be great at splatoon, and you can be a competitively minded player... but you won't get anywhere in a team without good communication. and your substitutes really don't do a good enough job replacing just normal comms speaking.
Hey thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it :)
You give some really good advice and insights, I am sure chatting with strangers is a good way to get to know each other and make new friends, Im up for that, but im in a situation where voice chatting is not going to work (sadly)
I am wondering if I am at a dead end if I want to play with a squad competitively.

Sure, if we need to analyze our roles/gameplay/flaws, I'd be happy to do it over text and rewatch steams and etc. I have seen some teams ramdomly grouped together in ranked mode that worked together flawlessly (assuming that they are not friends and that I didnt suck xD)

Please tell me if im just trying too hard!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I thought The Squid Box didn't use coms. Didn't @flc say that during the Nintendome tourney? It was in relation to @LittleSoundDJ hoping on the tower in a 1v4 situation and TSB didn't realize it or couldn't communicate it. That ended up winning it if for SS-S even though TSB should have had an easy push.

I could very well be mistaken though...

XxNinja4EaglexX

Inkling
NNID
XxNinja4EaglexX
Hello I'm fairly new to squidboards as well because I created an account awhile ago but haven't really had the time to go on but I'm a competitive person that doesn't prefer using voice chat. I don't feel comfortable with it which is why I have never looked for an actual organized squad. However I do know even without voice chat it's possible to still have success from experience. I've done squads before with friends over Twitch chat and we have been able to beat opposing squads that are communicating with voice chat. We know this because we have faced off against popular streams or people we know are clans so we knew they had voice chat communication. We are not even an actual organized squad because sometimes we just feel like playing ranked so we just form a quick squad. If we can still beat people who we know have voice chat and are competitive players then I'm sure an actual organized squad could work out. These are just my thoughts and I'm all for it.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Voice chat in this game is hardly vital imo with how small and simple the maps are, as well as having the other teams ink being a giveaway to where the other team is going. c'mon/to me is already useful enough for getting your team's attention for most things. I'd say the only thing voice chat is good for is if an enemy is sneaks somewhere and you don't deal with them yourself or if you're trying to bubble chain the tower. Small stuff that is too specific to say with the d-pad.

People yelling **** like "sniper on the perch where snipers usually are!" or "KRAKEN!" or "enemy is there!" when 2 seconds later they're somewhere else is useless and distracting to any competent player.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Voice chat in this game is hardly vital imo with how small and simple the maps are, as well as having the other teams ink being a giveaway to where the other team is going. c'mon/to me is already useful enough for getting your team's attention for most things. I'd say the only thing voice chat is good for is if an enemy is sneaks somewhere and you don't deal with them yourself or if you're trying to bubble chain the tower. Small stuff that is too specific to say with the d-pad.

People yelling **** like "sniper on the perch where snipers usually are!" or "KRAKEN!" or "enemy is there!" when 2 seconds later they're somewhere else is useless and distracting to any competent player.
That is entirely the point! Things like this can be critical in competitive splatoon. Good gameplay, map awareness, and "common sense" can take you really far, but trying to coordinate special pushes or counter pushes is impossible (or at least very hard) without voice communication.

NNID
Derpson42
Hi I am Rudy and I have recently joined squidboards! Hello everybody :)

I am here to see how many of us here are DAMN competitive, wishes to join a squad for tourneys, but back immediately away on squid locator whenever voice communication is a requirement??
There can be a lot of reasons... maybe it is uncomfortable to chat with strangers... maybe of their age group... bad connection...or simply because you're just not up to it. Like me!

I know it sounds weird, but I would love to meet other fresh players who feel like they are in the same boat :p I believe this is not a handicap! I'm sure there are plenty of options for competitive players out there who does not prefer voice chat but is cool with text messages and D-Pad communication
THANK YOU for making this forum.I always couldn't voice chat,so makes me happy to know i'm not left out.
What are your thoughts?

JaviDaBest

Inkling
NNID
Cosmicboost

I am here to see how many of us here are DAMN competitive, wishes to join a squad for tourneys, but back immediately away on squid locator whenever voice communication is a requirement??
There can be a lot of reasons... maybe it is uncomfortable to chat with strangers... maybe of their age group... bad connection...or simply because you're just not up to it. Like me!

I know it sounds weird, but I would love to meet other fresh players who feel like they are in the same boat :p I believe this is not a handicap! I'm sure there are plenty of options for competitive players out there who does not prefer voice chat but is cool with text messages and D-Pad communication

What are your thoughts?
You are gonna be at a disadvantage against people who use it and Im pretty talking to a group of 3 ppl in that awkward unless youre awkard

Whelt

Inkling
I prefer playing solo ranked, so I'm used to not having voice chat. I'm not really interested in tourneys and I don't do any serious squads, just with friends for casual fun. I only go hardcore in solo.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon

What are your thoughts?
You know, if you asked me about voice communication before I bought splatoon, I'd say that they wouldn't be needed. The objective seems simple enough, and all one needs is good map awareness and common sense on the situation.

However, after actually playing it, I feel like it's almost a neccessity (as far as Rank Battles. Turf wars, not so much). While I did mention common sense and map awareness is good, team synergy is also needed, and what better way then communication? Of course, players can choose to simply not use the comms, but again, they do help in keeping other team members aware of the situation, as well as point out cruitial advantages.

If you're using it in a Solo queue scenario, then yeah it'll suck (as people can get pretty toxic). Voice comm gots its strengths and weakness, but it should never be disregarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom