• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anyone else expecting mediocre reviews?

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I feel like this game is going to be stuck in the 6-7 range simply because all the content won't be out for it when it launches. That and the whole lack of voice chat debacle that people can't seem to live without (Despite me never actually hearing people use it when I play more serious shooters...). So many people rely on Metacritic these days that I feel like it's going to hurt the game.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I'm expecting upwards of seven from most sites but I'm not sure about gamespot.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
The game has legit issues i'm expecting mixed reviews it will get alot of high reviews but hopefully people actually talk about it's issues in the review lack of content and no voice chat are issues even if you don't care for vc.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
Considering Nintendo's marketing budget for this game, I have no doubts it will receive a 9+/10 from ign

srs tho

Some people are quick to jump on the "Nintendo makes stupid kid games and the Wii U is clearly trash" bandwagon, but since reviewers actually have to play the game, there's a good chance they'll find its uniqueness and them actually having fun outweighs the common annoyances(i.e. no voice chat, can't leave lobby, can't custom loadouts, high price for unfinished game)

At least I hope so.

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
I feel like there's gonna be inconsistent reviews, some high and some low, but in the end of the day. If people read reviews there gonna realize some of the issues of the game wont affect them.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I expect at least a 7.5-8 from most review sites. I really hope it doesn't go below a 7 though

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I see a high average, but not a "critically" high score. Since most reviewers do a 1-10 scale, I say this game will average 8.5. The lack of content at the beginning will prevent reviewers from putting the game at a 9-9.5 but I believe most will understand and just give it an 8-9 ( though there will always be outliers).

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Well, The Guardian just posted a glowing review, so let's hope that trend continues.

Though I have a feeling a lot of the dedicated gaming sites are going to just whine about how it's not CoD. They have a strong tendency to underwrite any games that aren't super high-action bloodbaths.

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
I'd like to say the reviews would turn out great, but being a new Nintendo Ip, it comes right in the firing line for hatred. The gaming media can be overly harsh to Nintendo. The fact we have a few patches before the game will be technically "complete" may hinder the game.

Inb4 IGN 7.8/10 too much ink

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
The reviewers may be given access to the update stuff ahead of time for review purposes(online and ranked are active for them right now so it's possible) but if they are not I can understand it being given a lesser score because of it. Cant exactly review on what it might be later *shrugs* Though I think it will generally getgood reviews. I think in the 7 to 8 range

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
Yeah, I see this getting 7's and over. I actually think the lack of local multiplayer games will let it down given that Nintendo is usually the king of couch multiplayer and that philosophy got hurled right out the window with this game.
However, an expansive (albeit, perhaps not too plot heavy/deep) single player mode, and all the gear options for the multiplayer, along with how good, and smooth the game is may just be it's saving grace.

Then there's GameSpot...

Dubs

Inkster Jr.
NNID
dubspwns
Honestly - I could see super low reviews for this game. It's kind of an abstract and new idea; has a short single player and a lot of people will be stuck on how it's a "kid's game." Which I can kind of understand not liking a short single player campaign and some people might not get the whole concept of painting the map vs getting kills.

And the reviews matter to a certain degree - because of course some people live by those reviews. But I think no matter if it gets bad reviews or not we can support the game! And I think Nintendo will support that! They've been a lot more responsive to their communities lately! It's great!

Geistbox

Full Squid
As much as I don't care much for review speculation and over/under-performance it seems pretty clear to me at least that most people's experience with the game has been nothing short of positive at every hands-on event and with the review copies. One of the writers at the Swedish magazine Gamereactor, who is responsible for reviewing the game at that publication, wrote some short impressions a few days ago and mentioned that while he had a whole lot of skepticism about the game during it's initial reveal, the game itself had the addicting "just one more round" grip on him. Going by many positive impressions mentioned so far it's definitely not just them. Even though IGN wrote that article asking for voice chat it prefaced it with the notion that the game itself is a whole lot of fun.

It's not a perfect game but then what is? I feel like anywhere between 80-85 seems like a reasonable metascore. As much as some omissions might leave people starved for more it's ultimately a good thing if the game play is there to sustain it's longevity for that content to eventually arrive. A reviewer will be able to make that assessment depending on how they feel suits it best.

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
Honestly - I could see super low reviews for this game. It's kind of an abstract and new idea; has a short single player and a lot of people will be stuck on how it's a "kid's game." Which I can kind of understand not liking a short single player campaign and some people might not get the whole concept of painting the map vs getting kills.

And the reviews matter to a certain degree - because of course some people live by those reviews. But I think no matter if it gets bad reviews or not we can support the game! And I think Nintendo will support that! They've been a lot more responsive to their communities lately! It's great!
I don't think they'll be that bad, but I do think certain reviewers will get hung up on it being a "kids game"

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
honestly professional game reviewers are a joke. They either take whatever money's offered to them or they are pretentious hipsters like Jim Sterling. I wouldn't take anything they say about any game to heart. The fact that 7 is considered a bad score by some is pretty evident that scoring needs to be revamped or outright removed

But overall I expect some pretty positive reviews going in the 7 (the good sort of 7)-8 range with a few 9s. I imagine no voice chat will get mentioned a lot but I seriously can't see people giving really low reviews over it. I think most people will say that the core game is really solid and a nice mix up for Shooters.

Also anyone notice that this place is one of the most critical places towards splatoon lol, not saying it's a bad thing it's just kinda funny.

EDIT: I don't actually think there will be negative reviews just because it's a "Kid's game". People aren't that stupid.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
honestly professional game reviewers are a joke. They either take whatever money's offered to them or they are pretentious hipsters like Jim Sterling. I wouldn't take anything they say about any game to heart. The fact that 7 is considered a bad score by some is pretty evident that scoring needs to be revamped or outright removed

But overall I expect some pretty positive reviews going in the 7 (the good sort of 7)-8 range with a few 9s. I imagine no voice chat will get mentioned a lot but I seriously can't see people giving really low reviews over it. I think most people will say that the core game is really solid and a nice mix up for Shooters.

Also anyone notice that this place is one of the most critical places towards splatoon lol, not saying it's a bad thing it's just kinda funny.

EDIT: I don't actually think there will be negative reviews just because it's a "Kid's game". People aren't that stupid.
There likely wont be any professional review putting it down for being a "kid's game" but I do expect a few user reviews to lol

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
there's been a lot of threads debating this already

anyway i've made the point before, but if games like tf2 and cod4 can be light on content at release and be hailed as some of the greatest multiplayer games of all time, i don't think the lack of content like maps or singleplayer levels will make much of an impact on reviewer's decision to give the game a high score or not. people also forget that games without any attention from critics can succeed on word of mouth alone (kerbal space program, etc) and legitimately good games praised by critics can get absolutely hated by audiences because they think it has an agenda they're shoving down their throat (gone home) or something else really trivial (phil fish maybe being mean and saying goofy things while making fez.) review's have a correlation with a game's success, but not a direct connection.

i think it will get some mixed reviews for sure. the game at a conceptual level is really unorthodox, and the fact it's all about covering the map in ink will probably just be perceived as a gimmick to more jaded critics. however, that won't stop it from getting a strong playerbase, imo. the fact that it's coming out when kids are getting out of school and during a drought of games coming out on the wii u will certainly do it some favors, sales wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom