• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Anyone else get irrationally angry at spawn campers?

radio-fashion

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3797-5332-9696
So, let me start this off with that I understand spawn camping is a legit strategy, I get that, and it's effective too

But by squid do I just get so mad whenever it happens in a game! Like, I understand they're probably just trying to win, fine fine, but it just takes all the fun out of the game when I have 3 squids gang up on me anytime I try to leave spawn, so the whole 3 minute game is just constant splatted screen and respawning

Idk, I just feel like spawn campers kind of suck the fun out of turf war, which is a mode meant for casuals. Yes, I know the games are only 3 minutes and then it's done forever, but it's still 3 minutes of not actually playing a game I enjoy

idk, maybe I just need to git gud, but id like to know if anyone else gets as frustrated as I do with spawn campers! (Or maybe tips on how to rain on spawn campers parades so they'll back off and I can get back to the game)

sudou

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0282-2843-0914
annoying, and a bit cheap, but yeah it's legit.
usually i don't feel good about doing this, so i avoid it.

but if you're getting your *** kicked by 3 enemies at the same time i'd ask WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR TEAM? lol

TheMP8

Inkling
NNID
The_MP8
Switch Friend Code
SW-1373-1602-1242
to be honest, yeah. it's a legitimate strategy but it just sucks the fun out of the game. it's meant to be a fair match, not splat then wait 5 seconds only to get splatted again.

I can't remember if there's a barrier in the second one on the spawn but it's still just annoying

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
Yes I f***ing hate that bullshit >:( I don't like it in any mode and I honestly don't think it's a legit strategy at all. That's just a damn cheap shot! I think there's a barrier over the spawn point in the 2nd game to prevent this luckily so I don't have to worry about it.

WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR TEAM?
They're squid-partying LOL

Emperor08

Inkling
I"M SORRY EVERYONE!
As a legit Slayer I do this if there is a team wipe ( all the time ) !
It's gets even more annoying for them when my 3 teammates are focused on the objective and I'm just in front of their spawn squid bagging and splatting them and then celebrating.

Marth the overlord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NonBrinary
I am a pacifist who doge rolls away. If using another weapon I have drop roller. Remember guys peace and love

Emperor08

Inkling
If anything I will be a **** and place beacons somewhere near the spawn or make a teammate do it and just keep coming back and this one time I went on a 17 player splat streak in front of the enemy spawn.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
"Spawncamping" isn't a strategy, it's how the game is designed to be played. When your team is in control of the objective, you are supposed to push up into enemy territory. This is why the tower moves towards the enemy spawn, and why the rainmaker pedestal/clam baskets are at the spawn points. If you are playing the game correctly, you will push up when your team is pushing. If you are not pushing up with the team, you are dead weight.

Luckily for the people who don't like to be spawncamped, Splatoon is also very well designed game. The devs have added many different ways to get out of a camp. The easiest one is to stay in spawn, where you are shielded, and paint over the turf that the enemy is outputting. This is why special weapons are based mainly on how much you can paint. The losing team should be getting twice the amount of specials as the winning team, especially since a player's special meter will automatically (albeit slowly) fill without any painting necessary if their team is losing.

On top of this, Splatoon has a feature that allows the player to instantly leave spawn whenever they feel like it. Superjumping out of spawn instantly ends a spawncamp.

TLDR; Here are the things you have going for you if you are getting camped:

Superjumping out of spawn.
Increased special buildup.
Unlimited paintable ground.
The ability to do damage to an opponent while remaining 100% invincible.
Abilities such as Quick Respawn, Comeback, and Tenacity that make dying less punishing altogether.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
Some maps (especially poorly designed shifty stations) encourage spawn camping, a lot of splatfests turn into a series of matches where both teams race to secure the other's spawn arena. Considering how the game is designed, it feels like an intended strategy, it could be why the matches are so short.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
I used to be able to get out from being spawncamped and push back ennemies to allow my team to get back the control and steal what would have been an easy win. Kinda sad I lost my skillset and I gotta "relearn" them. But spawncamping is actually very easy to get out from and reverse the situation.

First, you have to see what the ennemy focus on. Do they guard every spot you can use to ambush them? Is your team mindlessly throwing themselves at them? What are their weapon and how good is their aim? Did you notice any specific pattern in their play style? Just with that, you can get out of getting spawncamped.

Before jumping down into the unknown, it's also a good idea to see if the ennemy team pay attention to the map. Ink down and throw some bomb and wait a few seconde to see if anyone rush over to ink over. If everything seems clean, jump down and ambush the opponents, if they are focussing on your team throwing themselves endlessly, they won't see you coming and you'll be able to push them back. If you notice one of your ally trying to do that and you see an opponent rushing over, distract them as best you can to help your ally's ambush. When spawncamping, opponents have an habit of loosingup and being less careful of their surrounding, especially if they always see 3 squid rushing over and dying constantly. And it's easier to take out a random oponent casually inking missed spot alone then 2 opponent.

Anyway- Hopefully this help you. Don't let your anger get the best of you, take a moment to look at your map and at your opponent's behavior an your own team. Use that to your advantage to plan out an escape. Also- Trust your team. This is weird to say, specially if you can spawncamped. When you're being spawncamped, EVERYONE on your team's moral will be low and some might not think rationally. So if they see that there's a chance or that someone was able to break through- It will boost moral and allow them to relax more and it will improve their playing.

pio_dov

Pro Squid
I'm weirdly chill about it. Probably cuz I don't wanna be a hypocrite. You put me on Port Mackerel with a Carbon Deco, I will be at your spawn point the entire game. Expect the same if it's Snapper Canal and I have a Hero Brush.

Cephalobro

Honestly, I have much less problem with spawn campers than I do with Squid Partiers (probably because spawn campers are actually trying to win). Except when they stack MPU on weapons that really shouldn't be able to splat in one shot like the Bamboozler, effectively making the limit that the game designers intended moot. Making one-hit kills easy is a thing that gets on my nerves no matter which multiplayer game I'm playing because it means all balance just goes out the window.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Honestly, I have much less problem with spawn campers than I do with Squid Partiers (probably because spawn campers are actually trying to win). Except when they stack MPU on weapons that really shouldn't be able to splat in one shot like the Bamboozler, effectively making the limit that the game designers intended moot. Making one-hit kills easy is a thing that gets on my nerves no matter which multiplayer game I'm playing because it means all balance just goes out the window.
Damage up is generally perceived to be a mistake, to put it lightly. In my experience, the people who defend damage up in MPU use weapons that benefit from it :rolleyes:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Don't worry. I never use Main Power Up. I stack Quick Respawn to prove that I don't need good abilities to be good at the game.
But QR is a good ability and you see it used on nearly all short range gearsets.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
I'm pretty sure I've never intentionally used quick respawn in my loadouts…

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom