• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Anyone else really miss Splatoon 1's specials?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
The specials in Splatoon 2 just seem so much less impressive in comparison. A lot of them feel like nerfed and less reliable versions of specials from the first game. The Tenta Missiles are like an Inkstrike, except they never hit because they give your opponent way too much fair warning. Ink Armor is like the Bubbler, except it can actually break. And the Stingray is like the Killer Wail, except that it sucks.

I really miss the old specials. How come they made the specials in Splatoon 2 so much less powerful? Did they want the specials to be more like pressuring tools instead of powerful turn-around weapons or something?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The specials in Splatoon 2 just seem so much less impressive in comparison. A lot of them feel like nerfed and less reliable versions of specials from the first game.
Congratulations! You figured it out! That's kind of the point. The old specials were game-breaking. Nukes on demand? Instant-death projectiles? Straight-up invincibility? It was entirely possible to win a match by pressing in a stick at the right time, and thank cthulhu those days are over.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
Congratulations! You figured it out! That's kind of the point. The old specials were game-breaking. Nukes on demand? Instant-death projectiles? Straight-up invincibility? It was entirely possible to win a match by pressing in a stick at the right time, and thank cthulhu those days are over.
^this^ biggest flaw in OW for example (a game a play a ton of) is the potential for ults to WIPE a team. One character, one move, killing everyone...immediately lopsided and nearly impossible to recover from.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
Honestly, I agree with the other posters here. I think that's exactly what they intended to do. Not gonna lie, I do miss my inkstrikes, but it all evens out in the end. Also, the tenta missiles have been great for me, I get around 5 kills per match with it on average. It's my favorite special so far (though I've only used two...)

Also, they're probably still working out the specials in general. They already said that they'll tweak the sting ray (That's the name of the killer wail replacement, right?). There's gonna be a lot of updates/fixes to them like there was in Splatoon 1.

D

Deleted Member

I'm pretty happy with what they're doing in splatoon 2, now it's mostly based on how skilled a person is rather than special based wins. I mean of course a person can be both skilled and able to handle their specials appropriately but we either had to have one or the other and it's great that there's a focus on how good a person is overall. Im especially happy since I've always had the disadvantage due to over seas lag spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Yes, I am glad that these specials are more underwhelming. The specials from the first game were too good.

the

Inkling Commander
I really miss the old specials. How come they made the specials in Splatoon 2 so much less powerful? Did they want the specials to be more like pressuring tools instead of powerful turn-around weapons or something?
I think u hit the nail on the head here!

Special weapons in splatoon 2 do rly well when used in conjunction with other specials or weaps in general. I've had point where I've run away from tentamissiles into someone's line of fire, or I've been trying to hold off opponents but then cornered and hit by tentamissiles. And I've found that I can secure kills better with the stingray when another team member is keeping them occupied with a 1v1. I can swoop in for the kill or at least pester them until my pal gets the splat.

And the ink armor is nothing to sneeze at either. The extra hit or two makes a big difference in quick exchanges of fire, especially when most weapons only need to connect a couple of times to secure a kill. And the fact that it spreads to the user's whole team can make it into a powerful turnaround weapon if used at the right time.

I do miss the old specials sometimes as well (especially because there aren't many specials in this game that are fun to spam with special charge up) but they're all useful, and I think people will warm up to them with time.

That said, I feel like I will still go back to splatoon 1 now and again to wipe some suckers with killer wails and such.

WOW this got pretty long haha, sorry for the splashwall of text

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
That said, I feel like I will still go back to splatoon 1 now and again to wipe some suckers with killer wails and such.
This is the one thing thats going to bring me back to the first game every now and then. (I miss those Inkstrikes especialy...)

But balancing was definately in mind when they rebooted all the specials for the sequel. And Honestly- I think they've done a great job so far with it. Every special seems to have a good pro and con to it that doesnt upside it over others. Some need tweaks yes, but as its been said already, that will come in due time.

To put it bluntly- I was worried about the specials at first...but now im pretty pleased with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I have some nostalgic love for the original specials, and some were not super broken or too game changing, inkstrikes come to mind, but I looooooooooove the role specials have in this game so much more being based around pressure and support.

I love that the weapons and subs are what determine the battle more, not the specials. I've died so much holding a special in this game, and I honestly don't care. Dying with a special charged and ready in Splatoon 1 felt like my team will likely be at a huge disadvantage.

the

Inkling Commander
I've died so much holding a special in this game, and I honestly don't care. Dying with a special charged and ready in Splatoon 1 felt like my team will likely be at a huge disadvantage.
This is how I feel too, sometimes! And maybe it's just my imagination, but it feels like specials charge up faster in this game too, so it doesn't feel like I missed my one shot to turn the game around. I mean even in games where my team gets spawncamped the whole game, I usually have an opportunity to get at least one special off!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yeah, it was a design decision to give specials less impact for the game. Kinda worried that they aren't going into the other way and make specials too much of a liability to use, just about all of them upon activation have you stand in place for several hours before anything happens. But it's way too early to make theories about what's op or not.

Still really going to miss Kraken though. In general the specials in Splatoon 1 looked way cooler, balancing issues be damned!

Reactions: the

the

Inkling Commander
Still really going to miss Kraken though. In general the specials in Splatoon 1 looked way cooler, balancing issues be damned!
I agree, I am going to miss my killer-wail-screaming-tube-sock-of-death...

NNID
drew28
As someone who only played Splatoon 1 casually, part of the reason I wasn't more interested in playing competitively was how game breaking the specials seemed. Splatoon 2's specials seem much more balanced and it really gives me more incentive to try and pick it up competitively.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I agree, I am going to miss my killer-wail-screaming-tube-sock-of-death...
Me, im going to miss these two...

:echolocator: Because popping in these so quickly, so frequently with the :wst_shot_quickmiddle00: is a fun way to support the team.

And :inkstrike:! Because...well, look at my avatar. You do the math.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
These new specials feel boring and rather unimpactful, to be honest.

I get that the old ones were strong, but honestly these hardly feel like they're a part of the game. I've been splatting a bunch with the Splatdown (that's the name, right?), but I can only assume that's because it's new and people are getting used to the 14 years you have to escape the tiny area it works in. The only other one I've seen work well is the inkjet, but again, the more competent the enemies are the worse it becomes.

Aren't specials supposed to be game changers that you and your opponents plan to play around? Not something that is just kinda there, something that doesn't matter if you really used it or not? Maybe I'm just being silly, though.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Full Squid
NNID
PKGaming
These new specials feel boring and rather unimpactful, to be honest.

I get that the old ones were strong, but honestly these hardly feel like they're a part of the game. I've been splatting a bunch with the Splatdown (that's the name, right?), but I can only assume that's because it's new and people are getting used to the 14 years you have to escape the tiny area it works in. The only other one I've seen work well is the inkjet, but again, the more competent the enemies are the worse it becomes.

Aren't specials supposed to be game changers that you and your opponents plan to play around? Not something that is just kinda there, something that doesn't matter if you really used it or not? Maybe I'm just being silly, though.
This is kinda how I feel. I understand trying to balance the game and all, but Splatoon 2's specials just don't feel as fun to use. The first game's were fun to use, which is really what matters most, right? Fun? Plus, I actually never felt like Splatoon 1's specials were that overpowered. Inkstrike, Killer Wail, Kraken, Inkzooka, all these dangerous specials can be avoided fairly easily if you just pay attention and have good movement.

OctoBlooper27

Inkster Jr.
NNID
itsmemil
This is kinda how I feel. I understand trying to balance the game and all, but Splatoon 2's specials just don't feel as fun to use. The first game's were fun to use, which is really what matters most, right? Fun? Plus, I actually never felt like Splatoon 1's specials were that overpowered. Inkstrike, Killer Wail, Kraken, Inkzooka, all these dangerous specials can be avoided fairly easily if you just pay attention and have good movement.
Well the developer said they it was it intentional. They said they are better than splatoon 1 ults in their specific situation.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...e-first-game-salmon-run-story-future-updates/

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Well the developer said they it was it intentional. They said they are better than splatoon 1 ults in their specific situation.

http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...e-first-game-salmon-run-story-future-updates/
That feels like such a cop out though.

"We got rid of universal strength for situational power" That's a nerf. If the situation never arises in the match, you're outta luck. Especially since we, unlike other shooters, cannot change our weapon set in match, we're completely cut off. I think it's just silly to be like "In this one specific situation, these are better than the old ones that were good-great in many more situations"
If we could change our weapon sets mid match, even once, then that'd be fine. We can't though, so this situational power locks us into our special being really useful or really garbage for the entire match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom