• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Anyone else think chargers are the least viable class?

Mr_Destiny

Inkling
I thought they'd be great on Moray Towers, but I just can't win with them in Splat Zones. And they're next to useless on Blackbelly Skatepark (at least in Turf War) and Bluefin Depot if the enemy gets in your base. And even when I get a lot of kills in Ranked Battle, my team still loses most of the time.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I wouldn't say Chargers are any less viable than other weapon types, but they hinge the most on good team support. You can have an absolutely amazing game with any kind of charger, if your team can't capitalize on that, it may end up being for naught. While it can certainly have varying degrees of utility on the basis of level and mode, a lot of weapons also contend with this, so I don't think this is a unique problem to chargers.

The exception to what I said above might be the Squiffer, due to its unique properties making it more of a mid-range weapon and playing completely unlike other chargers, but I'm not an expert on the weapon so I won't say anything definite.

SalsaSavant

Full Squid
I've had games where entire teams are completely dominated by one good Charger.

They're hard to use, and 95% of people online suck with them, but when mastered....they're scary.

I will agree that they're the weapon type most likely to get screwed by gametype/map. On some maps, their viability is niche at best. And I've found them to be a bit questionable of a choice on tower control. But they are not bad by any means.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
I know a good sniper. I was using the Krak-On Roller against him and well...
let's just say things didn't always go in my favor.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Less viable? No, they're massively powerful when given a good vantage point, and can ink big areas of turf.

Less versatile? Yes. You have less options when using a Charger, and you're not able to respond to changing situations as easily. They're good now, but I think they'll really come into their own in August, when we can plan ahead and there's less improvisation involved.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
On those three maps? Maybe so, it really depends on the map. I'd say the maps, from best to worst for Chargers are:
9. Kelp Dome
8. Blackbelly Skatepark
7. Walleye Warehouse
6. Urchin Underpass
5. Port Mackerel
4. Bluefin Depot
3. Arowana Mall
2. Moray Towers
1. Saltspray Rig

Soon to be #1: Camp Triggerfish. If you've seen clips of that stage there is so much ridiculously high ground that the ELiter-3K is going to rek. shop. here.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
It all depends on how you use it in my opinion. I've seen both amazing snipers and poorer snipers in game, and in fact they can be very viable to a team (if decent).

They aren't great for inking for the mostpart, but let them give you coverfire and you have a great strategy going! They can also take out enemies very efficiently, letting the team focus on the objective at hand with fewer interruptions

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
On those three maps? Maybe so, it really depends on the map. I'd say the maps, from best to worst for Chargers are:
9. Kelp Dome
8. Blackbelly Skatepark
7. Walleye Warehouse
6. Urchin Underpass
5. Port Mackerel
4. Bluefin Depot
3. Arowana Mall
2. Moray Towers
1. Saltspray Rig
? Kelp Dome is really good for sniping for me. I'd put it higher up. I'd also switch the Warehouse with Port Mackerel and I'd put the Rig somewhere in the back of the list. I'd also shuffle around the Towers with the Mall and Depot, but I don't know for sure since I've played so little of it.

To the topic of the discussion no chargers aren't at a disadvantage, they are just extremely different to use compared to other weapons just like the paint brush.
Well not just like because the paint brush is extremely different, but the point is that there is a barrier in learning the weapon type if your are not use to using them (either the paint brush or chargers).

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Coming from myself a charger player, just because they give you "perch" ares for sniping doesn't mean you should use them. Everyone expects you to go there, causing you to stand out and be a dead player. You gotta be offensive. Sometimes, lower points are the best. Each class is equally viable.
Also a note, damage ups are very important on chargers, as they allow you t kill without fully charging many times.

EDIT: I will note that on tuesday, there will be a video uploading on TheNintenBits channel in which I go 18 -5 as a charger. I will make sure to post it here if anyone is interested.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
? kelp dome is really good for sniping for me. I'd but it higher up. I'd also switch the warehouse with part mackerel and I'd but the rig somewhere in the back of the list. I'd also shuffle around the towers with the mall and depot but I don't know for sure since I've played so little of it.

to the topic of the discussion no chargers aren't at a disadvantage, they are just extremely different to use compared to other weapons just like the paint brush.
well not just like because the paint brush is extremely different, but the point is that there is a barrier in learning the weapon type if your are not use to using them (either the paint brush or chargers).
I suppose it's just how I use Chargers. I just got my second (and last) main, the ELiter-3K, and I'm big about the high ground and strategic location. Now, of course, Blackbelly Skatepark has a higher point of high ground that Port Mackerel, but it's in the middle of everything and is an easily flankable spot, whereas I find many more strategic locals in the higher parts of Port Mackerel.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
er, I doubt you guy care much, but here is that video I was telling you all about (I have both good and bad matches, but also a fantastic match)

D

Deleted Member

You've obviously never played against a good charger user. They can shut down entire areas of a map from the opponent and can be incredibly hard to take out.

cove

Inkling
I disagree, I've had very good charger users on all maps team up with me. And really good ones are those who don't just camp out at high points, although that is the most advantageous.
Some especially good ones can give incredible cover fire or if theyre on the opposing team, take your entire team out and help push you back to your base area.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I think a big part of why Charger's look less viable is that multiples of them cause a "Less than the sum of its parts" situation. Most things charger's can accomplish for your team, just one will suffice, when there's 2, it starts to subtract from your team's options. (Especially in Turf War, if there's a noticeable skill gap between the two chargers, or worst case scenario they both suck) While certainly there are cases where very skilled players can set up impressive defense's with multiple charger's, charger's have little pushing power, and against teams of comparable skill, they will struggle to get a foot hold in their objectives, for any of the modes.

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Yes, I do. Just in general the idea that you need to charge it up and there's a laser marking exactly where you're aiming, it removes the surprise factor and it basically telegraphs to enemies that you're aiming at them so they can retreat through ink or try to dodge. When you're at close range you don't really have any recourse or options to escape and you're pretty much just dead right there.

In order for chargers to work you need to have a team with weapons and the skill to provide proper support for your team. A charger can't hold down anything alone. They work their best when they're providing support for people in the thick of things from afar. They have little to no ability to flush out enemies from well held areas because players have the ability to hide in ink and more movement options. Trying to hit someone hiding is a difficult task, like finding a needle in a haystack. Most of the times if I use chargers I find myself having to wait a bit for my teammates to regain control of the area. There's no real room for adaptability for Chargers and I normally only use it to mix things up a little and have fun.

One charger per team is really all a team ever needs. Even having two of them is normally enough to cause issues for the team. I've noticed teams with multiple chargers just have a hard time with people invading their space because the teammates that tried to hold the center failed and now the enemy team (or our team in this case) just flooded through and started whiffing their shots until getting close enough to kill them.

In short they have their uses and they can be a really powerful tool for support but it's extremely situational and lacks adaptability. Picking it puts you at high risk of failing even if you're good with it and it's usually just not worth using.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yes, I do. Just in general the idea that you need to charge it up and there's a laser marking exactly where you're aiming, it removes the surprise factor and it basically telegraphs to enemies that you're aiming at them so they can retreat through ink or try to dodge. When you're at close range you don't really have any recourse or options to escape and you're pretty much just dead right there.

In order for chargers to work you need to have a team with weapons and the skill to provide proper support for your team. A charger can't hold down anything alone. They work their best when they're providing support for people in the thick of things from afar. They have little to no ability to flush out enemies from well held areas because players have the ability to hide in ink and more movement options. Trying to hit someone hiding is a difficult task, like finding a needle in a haystack. Most of the times if I use chargers I find myself having to wait a bit for my teammates to regain control of the area. There's no real room for adaptability for Chargers and I normally only use it to mix things up a little and have fun.

One charger per team is really all a team ever needs. Even having two of them is normally enough to cause issues for the team. I've noticed teams with multiple chargers just have a hard time with people invading their space because the teammates that tried to hold the center failed and now the enemy team (or our team in this case) just flooded through and started whiffing their shots until getting close enough to kill them.

In short they have their uses and they can be a really powerful tool for support but it's extremely situational and lacks adaptability. Picking it puts you at high risk of failing even if you're good with it and it's usually just not worth using.
I think a big part of why Charger's look less viable is that multiples of them cause a "Less than the sum of its parts" situation. Most things charger's can accomplish for your team, just one will suffice, when there's 2, it starts to subtract from your team's options. (Especially in Turf War, if there's a noticeable skill gap between the two chargers, or worst case scenario they both suck) While certainly there are cases where very skilled players can set up impressive defense's with multiple charger's, charger's have little pushing power, and against teams of comparable skill, they will struggle to get a foot hold in their objectives, for any of the modes.
On Saltspray Rig, it's possible to have 2 Rollers and 2 Chargers on a team and win. It could've been that the other team sucks, but Saltspray Rig appears to be a stage where 2 Chargers can win at Turf War, since there's so many places with which to guard crucial areas of the map. Arowana Mall can win with 2 Chargers too, because of where the critical camping locations are, but it's harder there.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Yeah, I can see that. I tried not to say definitively that more than 1 charger hurts your chances, but generally they do. Saltspray is a pretty unique stage though, so I can see unorthodox team compositions faring better on it.

Manta

Senior Squid

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom