• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Are Chargers bad

SmashChu

Inkling
NNID
Spoogymonkey
There is a lot of talk about rollers, but I really do feel like chargers just aren't that good of a weapon in Turf Wars. They just don't spread ink that well, you have no mobility (unlike the other two weapons) and killing players just isn't that important. Want to hear what everyone else thinks.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
They're not bad, they just aren't...optimal (in turf wars) or easy to use. A single charger on a vantage point can lock down several members of the enemy team leaving your team golden to ink everywhere else to their hearts content.

The problem is, they're hard to use. Extremely hard. Someone will pick it up and either love it and keep trying to get better or get discouraged and stop. Considering this is only day 2~3, we don't have enough good Chargers to give them a good name.

Personally, I think they're going to be strong in Splat Zone and will prove to be a valuable asset in Turf War after people get better with them, but they aren't like Jrs/Aerosprays, more than one will hinder your team.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
It's not that it bad it just hard to master. Give the game some time, we'll start to see more good Charger online as the game grows older.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I'm sure the charger is great in it's own rights, I just can't figure out those rights after only having so little time with the game. I'm sure it's the same for most players.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
No, without the charger there would be no amazing MLG tr1ck$h0t5 & 360n0$c0p35 $w@g 420

But seriously, they're just hard to use, and people aren't used to it yet. Once people find the role they play and how to use them they'll be much better.

Sir Rob

Inkling
NNID
SirLordLamb
I recon in an organised team there'd be a good use for a charger, but generally in turf wars they are never gonna be as useful as faster coverage weapons

Rylingo

Inkling
NNID
Rylingo
They're very difficult to use well. I'm sure they will appear stronger later into the games life.

As it stands it's nice to have one in the team but if you're 3 compatriots are chargers you might struggle.

praline

I'm ready!
Hey in the right hands they're great. This one damn guy fended off my entire team in a match.

thefro

Full Squid
Definitely starting to see more people put up big scores with Chargers in some of my matches.

augustoflores

Inkling
NNID
augustoflores
So yea, chargers are hard to use. It requires the hands of competent players that know why they exist.

people playing online will see my mii name... I renamed myself [SaltS]Gus. I just got done playing some matches in an effort of reaching Lv 20... which i did an hour ago, but I digress.

I am a sniper. I use the Classic Squiffer. Many people were driven back to their base today because of my ability to stop momentum. This is the point of the charger to me. it is a one hit kill granted to those who can be the most accurate. by stopping the enemy from moving forward, it allows my allies to ink everywhere else.

This is not to say I don't go around inking the floor, as a charger, I can produce LONG LINES of ink, that is a crucial aspect of this gun. Instead of moving forward like a splattershot, I move side to side to ink the floor. Oftentimes I use my range to get ahead faster than others.

also, I use motion controllers... I don't know how others feel about motion controls when it comes to the charger, but I feel WAY more accurate with it on. I have more agency with my own arms than to be at the whim of the sensitivity I gave myself.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
also, I use motion controllers... I don't know how others feel about motion controls when it comes to the charger, but I feel WAY more accurate with it on. I have more agency with my own arms than to be at the whim of the sensitivity I gave myself.
I'll be trying motion controls with a charger myself, but something tells me it'll be the way to play them. Its too easy to over shoot someone with the analog stick, and you don't have the spray that other weapons have to cover this.

augustoflores

Inkling
NNID
augustoflores
I'll be trying motion controls with a charger myself, but something tells me it'll be the way to play them. Its too easy to over shoot someone with the analog stick, and you don't have the spray that other weapons have to cover this.
Good Luck! the charger life is not for the faint of heart!

KumaOso

Inkling
NNID
KumaOso
I see Chargers as support weapons. They're also like the zoners of the weapons which is funny as all the weapons shoot ink.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I have been using charger and getting fairly better with it. In some matches I've even ended up on top of team team in points even if it had rollers or even aerosprays. If you want to play any sort of coverage with a charger you pretty much need the one with sprinkler on it. They can be good when used well, but doing that takes a lot of effort. I've found it well worth it though.

arny

Inkling
If you use motion controls USE SPLAT CHARGER
If you use analog controls USE SPLATTERSCOPE (most likely with low sensitivity, I play on minimum)
It almost seems like each one was made for each controller setting. Trust me. I've tried both combinations, and switching the two up seems to not work out as well.

I have been using charger and getting fairly better with it. In some matches I've even ended up on top of team team in points even if it had rollers or even aerosprays. If you want to play any sort of coverage with a charger you pretty much need the one with sprinkler on it. They can be good when used well, but doing that takes a lot of effort. I've found it well worth it though.
Try out the non kelp variants with grenades. The sprinkler does help a lot, but the grenade spam special, in my opinion, is the best special in the game. You can instantly ink a large area and move your whole team closer into the enemy's base. Fits the sniper roll perfectly. However, sprinklers are really fun to use and stick in tricky places.

isk

Inkling
I've really stuck with the charger while grinding to level 10. I have games with 7+ kills and low deaths, but I feel that it rarely has a huge impact on the outcome of the match. Lets say its mid game on Saltspray Rig and I find the bottom platform completely covered in enemy ink. My whole team is busy on the top platform so now I need to go there and ink it myself. That takes me waaaay longer with a Charger than it would take with the Splattershot Jr. What takes the aerospray 5 seconds tops, takes me 10+. In addition, if I get ambushed by a good Splattershot Jr player who has bubble ready, theres not much I can do.

I was scoring around 300-400 in losing games and 700-900 in winning games and felt that I was not the person who was deciding on the outcome, I was losing a lot.

So I picked up the Splattershot Jr and went 1505 8-1 in my first round and continued to dominate and carry most of my games, getting my first 'so hawt' streak. Yeah...

Sniping people is fun, but honestly, I feel ike I'm gimping myself and my team, at least in turf wars. And that just doesn't feel as good as owning games with the Splattershot Jr, even if it's not my preferred playstyle. So I'm kind of sad that turf wars is essentially forcing me into playing weapons I don't really want to play. I am really hoping for ranked and other game modes to make all the other fun guns more viable.

arny

Inkling
I've really stuck with the charger while grinding to level 10. I have games with 7+ kills and low deaths, but I feel that it rarely has a huge impact on the outcome of the match. Lets say its mid game on Saltspray Rig and I find the bottom platform completely covered in enemy ink. My whole team is busy on the top platform so now I need to go there and ink it myself. That takes me waaaay longer with a Charger than it would take with the Splattershot Jr. What takes the aerospray 5 seconds tops, takes me 10+. In addition, if I get ambushed by a good Splattershot Jr player who has bubble ready, theres not much I can do.

I was scoring around 300-400 in losing games and 700-900 in winning games and felt that I was not the person who was deciding on the outcome, I was losing a lot.

So I picked up the Splattershot Jr and went 1505 8-1 in my first round and continued to dominate and carry most of my games, getting my first 'so hawt' streak. Yeah...

Sniping people is fun, but honestly, I feel ike I'm gimping myself and my team, at least in turf wars. And that just doesn't feel as good as owning games with the Splattershot Jr, even if it's not my preferred playstyle. So I'm kind of sad that turf wars is essentially forcing me into playing weapons I don't really want to play. I am really hoping for ranked and other game modes to make all the other fun guns more viable.
I'm the same way, but recently I've been using the charger (Splatterscope) and getting my points into the thousands pretty often. I think the main thing that helped me was realizing the potential of uncharged shots. For some reason, spamming uncharged shots in an empty area gives TONS of points, and uses a miniscule amount of ink. Just make sure you shoot straight in front of you, and strafe back and forth while spamming the trigger

Also, chargers are amazing for getting out of tight situations. A single uncharged shot in front of you let's you quickly move forward in squid form, and then you can immediately shoot another line of ink and move very fast out of enemy ink. It will be amazing for Splat Zones.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
I like using the Squiffer as well. It's nice to have superior range on your enemies. If you have good aim and can keep the proper distance, you can win most engagements.

I should probably use the Kelp Charger more often too. That sprinkler is a pretty powerful, if rather plain, sub weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom