• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Are Dualies Bad in Tournaments?

Would you use Dualies in ranked and/or tournaments?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I might

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
(I did a search, poked around, and couldn't find any other threads answering this question. If this is a duplicate thread, I apologize and would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction!)

Soooo I've been watching a lot of Splatoon 2 tournament videos here recently, trying to pick up little tips on what makes a good, top-tier player, and I realized that I hadn't seen any players use any form of the Dualies throughout the duration of each tournament. It got me wondering why that is.

Is it because most of these teams were established during the first game and none of them understand the Dualies well enough to implement them in their team builds?

Or are the Dualies considered a low-tier weapon and don't have enough going for them to justify using them in a professional setting?

I understand everyone is still figuring out the metagame at this point, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to why this weapon class seems to be going unused in competitive play so far..? Then again, I haven't seen rollers used much either, but it seems everyone is mostly going for shooters so why not use Dualies?

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Dualies seem to be generally inferior to more common shooters. Their lower accuracy and range aren't compensated by dodging because dodges are too predictable. The most commonly used dualies are the Enperries. These are used not for their ability to kill, but to build inkjet faster than the Tentatek splattershot or octobrush, two more commonly used weapons.
However, with the recent patch making it harder to build inkjet on the Tentatek, as well as nerfing inkjet itself, all of this is subject to change.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
The ending lag of the dodge roll really kills much of it's viability, but at least in a tournament setting, you should be able to roll behind cover without randomly dying due to lag / lower ping (?).

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
People commonly use rolls to approach unaware targets or to roll out of effective range of enemy weapons, not to psych out opponents. A roll also increases fall speed making it more effective at descending than just falling off in squid form.

Emperry had some tournament presence because with it's curling bombs and it's inking potential it could get Inkjets faster than TTek can. By the time Splashdown wasn't that strong but it did got recently buffed, so we'll see how the vanilla dualies will turns out.

Dapple is one of the very few weapons with Beakons, but it has zero ranged options outside of it's own special.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's pretty early to tell for any of these things. Unless something starts out as blatantly pretty good (such as pre-nerf Tri-Slosher) or bad, we can't tell for sure how well everything is going to play out. At this point, I think what's popular is going to be the things with the most obvious strengths at the beginning before other weapons are labbed more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom