• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are rollers less used these days?

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Ok so I`ve noticed that rollers aren`t that common anymore and that people use gals and other shooters more. Why? I mean rollers are close range weapons but they`re amazing. Is it because of the nerfs??

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I do think the nerfs have had a lot to do with it. It isn't as easy to splat people with a flick and most people have figured out how to deal with rollers in general. This makes them less newbie friendly.

A skilled roller is still scary though....bouncing and flicking and splatting you from weird angles...horrifying.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I still see Dynamo Rollers quite often in Ranked. I'm assuming they're less used due to the nerfs, but they're not completely uncommon.

Syd_Vicious3375

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ShelbyLynn08
I think the higher you get in rank/level the less you see them. My daughter is really low level and she still plays with a ton of rollers. A good roller is a fearsome thing to behold but it takes a lot of skill to get amazingly good with a roller.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I still see Dynamo Rollers quite often in Ranked. I'm assuming they're less used due to the nerfs, but they're not completely uncommon.
Dynamos are so much better than normal rollers because of their range..Maybe that`s why?

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I do think the nerfs have had a lot to do with it. It isn't as easy to splat people with a flick and most people have figured out how to deal with rollers in general. This makes them less newbie friendly.

A skilled roller is still scary though....bouncing and flicking and splatting you from weird angles...horrifying.
Well I`m a roller main and when rollers got nerfed I had to re learn everything. So no wonder why people don`t use them anymore...

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
I don't really see Rollers being common anymore. I think the Octobrush has even taken over in popularity in terms of what you can find these days. Sometimes I like to pick up Krak-On or Carbon casually in Squad Battles and I enjoy them fairly well but I don't really see myself having them as one of my top picks.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I don't really see Rollers being common anymore. I think the Octobrush has even taken over in popularity in terms of what you can find these days. Sometimes I like to pick up Krak-On or Carbon casually in Squad Battles and I enjoy them fairly well but I don't really see myself having them as one of my top picks.
I don`t see octobrushes that much but it might be more popular than the rollers..

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I thought I'd totally abandon Dynamo Roller after the nerf, but I've slowly gotten more confidence with it and use it for when my normally range-less shooter mains are holding me back and if I really do need the range.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
If you think that rollers are uncommon now, there is a chance that you're not facing enough Japanese players. :p In all seriousness... Rollers have become a bit less common among foreigners but they're still very popular among Japanese players. Since I play fairly late at night here in California, I face a lot of Japanese players. I have way too many matches where either my team or the other team has 3 or 4 rollers. When I'm playing during the day, these types of matches become increasingly rare. So the drop in popularity depending on region is definitely become fairly obvious.

I think the nerf does have a lot to do with foreign players abandoning the roller. After the update, you can't swing the roller blindly anymore and hope for a splat. You have to actually think about your movements and aim well. This change caused many people to abandon the roller because they didn't want to be bothered to actually learn the weapon. Players who were good with their rollers weren't effected by the nerf much at all. As a roller main, I can say that I noticed very little changes to my roller. The only real change I noticed was that my splash damage seemed a bit weaker and my hitbox is smaller. I'll miss occasionally even when it seems like my roller is coming down straight on top of them. The hitbox for rollers has been a bit odd since the update.

So yeah.

Rollers are more uncommon among people from North America and Europe but they're still extremely popular with the Japanese.

Last edited:

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
I still been seeing a decent amount rollers. Strangely enough, a lot of them are hero replica rollers. I wonder why.

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I personally main the normal Splat Roller because I've found it the most useful to my own playstyle. However, that is beside the point. I very commonly see Carbon Rollers and Dynamo Rollers, but more importantly I have a tendency of being on a team of two other splat/Krak-On Splat rollers or even three. I honestly get very aggravated when I'm on a team of other splat rollers because every single time it happens my team loses for the fact that they just don't have varying playstyles/strats. But yeah, they aren't dying out. Nearly every game I play has a roller on either team and I play every day for quite a few hours.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I'm glad they're less common. I remember the amount of dynamo rollers i kept seeing in ranked before the 2.2.0 patch. There were like 3/4 every match. I'm glad they're less common now. Means more variety in ranked which is always a good thing.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I still been seeing a decent amount rollers. Strangely enough, a lot of them are hero replica rollers. I wonder why.
The three pack for Splatoon amiibos has recently become much more common in the last month or two. So a lot of people are just now getting the amiibos and trying out the new weapons. ^.^ I've noticed a definite increase in the Hero weapons though. Over the weekend when it was just North America and Europe, I saw a lot of Hero Shot Replicas and I could never remember seeing so many before. There was like on in every Turf War or Ranked battle. o.O

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I'm glad they're less common. I remember the amount of dynamo rollers i kept seeing in ranked before the 2.2.0 patch. There were like 3/4 every match. I'm glad they're less common now. Means more variety in ranked which is always a good thing.
Eh ranked is full of tentateks and gals...there`s no such thing as variety in my eyes at least..

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
If you think that rollers are uncommon now, there is a chance that you're not facing enough Japanese players. :p In all seriousness... Rollers have become a bit less common among foreigners but they're still very popular among Japanese players. Since I play fairly late at night here in California, I face a lot of Japanese players. I have way too many matches where either my team or the other team has 3 or 4 rollers. When I'm playing during the day, these types of matches become increasingly rare. So the drop in popularity depending on region is definitely become fairly obvious.

I think the nerf does have a lot to do with foreign players abandoning the roller. After the update, you can't swing the roller blindly anymore and hope for a splat. You have to actually think about your movements and aim well. This change caused many people to abandon the roller because they didn't want to be bothered to actually learn the weapon. Players who were good with their rollers weren't effected by the nerf much at all. As a roller main, I can say that I noticed very little changes to my roller. The only real change I noticed was that my splash damage seemed a bit weaker and my hitbox is smaller. I'll miss occasionally even when it seems like my roller is coming down straight on top of them. The hitbox for rollers has been a bit odd since the update.

So yeah.

Rollers are more uncommon among people from North America and Europe but they're still extremely popular with the Japanese.
Haha I actually played against some japanese players today.. and yeah there was a roller in every single match but in europe people don`t use the rollers...I wonder why..

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Eh ranked is full of tentateks and gals...there`s no such thing as variety in my eyes at least..
Well that is true .52 and tentatek are used a lot. My point is there's more variety now. Before, it was just .96 deco, e-litre, tentatek, and the blasters (not counting rapid). Now i see, sploosh, splash, carbon, splatterscopes, sloshers, heavy and zink mini splattling, splattershot pro, rapid blaster pro etc. the two you mentioned are extremely overused, but not like the way the meta was before the patch.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Well that is true .52 and tentatek are used a lot. My point is there's more variety now. Before, it was just .96 deco, e-litre, tentatek, and the blasters (not counting rapid). Now i see, sploosh, splash, carbon, splatterscopes, sloshers, heavy and zink mini splattling, splattershot pro, rapid blaster pro etc. the two you mentioned are extremely overused, but not like the way the meta was before the patch.
Well you do have a point the gals are extremely overused. But yeah there is a lot more variety if compared to the time before the nerfs :D

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I still see people use them often in turf war, but rarely in ranked. It's not anywhere near the amount of the pre nerf days, where I'd join a match and there would be 7 Krak-ons and one shooter. (Me) Like others said though, a skilled roller user is still a deadly force. Have you ever seen Ryanator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom