• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Are Some Weapon Matchups Impossible to Win Against?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
This is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. It seems to be that way with some team combinations I've been put with and pitted against other teams that have a huge advantage weapon-wise (and I'm not referring to a team of all Chargers against a typical team).

Edit: I worded the question completely wrong. What I meant was: Are some team compositions impossible to win again other team compositions?

I apologize for the misleading question.

And my inability to think.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Nothings impossible, but there are matchup situations that strictly favor one gun vs another.

The worst hypothetical matchup I can imagine is a charger + disruptor against a roller.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The only matchup I've trully had trouble against is any team with 2 competent E-Liters 3k (scoped or standard). They basically render half of the map unreachable by the opposite team once they get to a good position, especially on maps with small central areas like Moray Towers and Arowana Mall. The only thing that "might" be able to beat that could be a team full of Inkstrikes or Inkzookas, but just getting the specials is a challenge by itself :confused:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
The only matchup I've trully had trouble against is any team with 2 competent E-Liters 3k (scoped or standard). They basically render half of the map unreachable by the opposite team once they get to a good position, especially on maps with small central areas like Moray Towers and Arowana Mall. The only thing that "might" be able to beat that could be a team full of Inkstrikes or Inkzookas, but just getting the specials is a challenge by itself :confused:
Nothings impossible, but there are matchup situations that strictly favor one gun vs another.

The worst hypothetical matchup I can imagine is a charger + disruptor against a roller.
True. True. It certainly feels impossible in some games like having only one weapon capable of inking turf efficiently. Granted, the strategy at that point becomes "Protect the Inker"... meh. I was just curious what people had to say to this. =/

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
The tri-slosher vs. the Dual Squelcher.

The Dual Squelcher wins 70% of the time if the tri-slosher is out of range.

Bankster

Inkling
NNID
kjAaj
I played against a squad yesterday that was composed of blaster with all different ranges. This was tower control, and no fun at all

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
every weapon has a weakness the best way to fight a weapon is either to out range or if they out range then an flank is in order

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Unless your opponent is incapable of making mistakes there is always a chance for victory.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
^^''' Please take a look at the OP. I dun goofed when I asked the question.

I don't know if that matters much...

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
Are some team compositions impossible to win again other team compositions?
I have mixed experiences about this. Sometimes I feel like my team lost beacuse the other team had chargers while we didn't. Othertimes it seems like we blow the enemy away because we don't have any chargers.

I once faced a team with only splattershot juniors and they wiped the floor with my mixed team.

I've also had a team with two chargers and two tri-sloshers go against a mixed team of blasters, shooters and chargers and win.

It seems to me that you just need to be good with your weapon. The problematic weapons of course are the ones with limited range usage. For example, sloshers, and the splattershot junior that have very low range, and also chargers which are difficult to use in close range. Also consider weapons with poor inking ability, like the blasters, and some chargers, but they have good splatting ability. Because of the mix of strengths and weaknesses, one might assume that it would benefit one to have a variety to make up for weaknesses since it is a team sport, which would be increasingly useful when a combat zone has multiple squids engaging each other at once, rather than 1v1.

I think what matters is each player's awareness of his team's capabilities. A team full of tri-sloshers vs. a mixed team needs to realize how important it is to watch each other's back and combine their ink tanks (tri-slosher gets easily outranged and "stuck" cause he can't approach). While chargers need to know where his team will be lacking, and also where the enemy team might go.

So in short, I don't think there are impossible matchups, and in fact, the stranger the match up, the more fun. It does make things a bit more difficult though, especially for a team with just blasters or chargers only. They will have to put in a lot of work and coordination to win some matches, but I think it's entirely possible.

DualSquelched

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nilithium
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!" -Sun Tsu, TF2 Soldier

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
This is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. It seems to be that way with some team combinations I've been put with and pitted against other teams that have a huge advantage weapon-wise (and I'm not referring to a team of all Chargers against a typical team).

Edit: I worded the question completely wrong. What I meant was: Are some team compositions impossible to win again other team compositions?

I apologize for the misleading question.

And my inability to think.
Well so far, based on how varied team compositions are in tournaments, competitive and casual play, it is unlikely there are unbeatable team compositions.

The only way any team can be unwinnable is if everyone disconnects or gives up fighting.

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
If a team of 4 noob dynamos went up against a team of 4 good Aerospray Golds, the Aerosprays would win just because they know their weapon better than the Dynamo's do theirs. All weapons are viable, you just need more skill with others in order to do well.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
If a team of 4 noob dynamos went up against a team of 4 good Aerospray Golds, the Aerosprays would win just because they know their weapon better than the Dynamo's do theirs. All weapons are viable, you just need more skill with others in order to do well.
This is true. As I have trained in the ways of splatoon I have learned that getting a kill is all about your weapon's effective range.

This means at what range is your weapon able to splat effectively. For example, an e-liter is effective in long to mid range. If a slosher, whose effective range is just below mid range, comes up on a sniper, the slosher will probably win.

It is this concept that helped me to maximize my performance as a roller main, as all I have to do is avoid the enemies effective range, and get into mine (close range). This can be applied to all weapons ; get out of their effective range and into yours.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
In a closed corridor Jet Squelchers would be unreachable(the sideways in Arowana are an example). Open areas is where chargers dominate. Going around a corner with a roller lying in wait(ex. the choke points in Triggerfish) is suicide.
Unwinnable matchups do exist, but they have to be in very specific positions to work. At least retreating is always an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom