• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are Turf Pairings Based on Rank?

ZootFluteRiot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZootFluteRiot
I've stepped away from the game for a while due to school, work, and other life obligations. I haven't played ranked in about a year when I got to S. But lately, when I join turf lobbies, they seem to be like... ALL overpowered and will constantly trap my team to spawn. I thought it might have been because I was rusty, but even after every match, win or lose, I still have the most splats delivered and the highest score. However ever since splatfest ended, when I join my boyfriend's rooms when he plays (he never plays ranked), and those rooms are much calmer and much more manageable, and less stress-inducing. Is this a thing, or is it a coincidence?

Also, PS- Since Splatfests are no more, they should totally add a third stage in to rotation since they have the space for it on the screen.

PPS- I wish this game had a regional option like Mario Kart. Not all of us want to be destroyed by these amazing Japanese players and want to play for fun, not blood.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
in conclusion - noone's really sure.

there is ONE thing that is confirmed though, Turf War tries to match you with players of similar playstyle, that being whether youre a killer or an inker. i'd wager it also gauges HOW much you do those things. no idea of the timeframe of this measurement, whether it's all-time or in a specific session. Ranked, in comparison, was completely random (beyond rank) until a semi-recent update that made the game consider weapon compositions. i don't think the killer vs inker logic applies to Ranked, though there's no way to tell for sure.

just to add though, Japanese players are here to play for fun, as well. i can guarantee you wouldn't have any better time with Western players, and you'd probably have significant difficulty finding lobbies most times of the day. they are only "amazing" because there's a lot of them by comparison, so a disproportionate number of high ranking players are Japanese. simple ratios, i'm afraid!

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
When I started my own account so I had one separate from my son's it took all of 3 matches before I was grouped in with a bunch of level 50s

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
until a semi-recent update that made the game consider weapon compositions
I really wish they did this for turf as well. I notice team weapon comps are much better in ranked compared to turf by a large margin.

I wish we knew what the Turf Matchmaker's deal was, if anything. I almost always am paired with level 50s, in the A-S+ range as far as ranks are concerned. Being level 50 S+ myself, I guess it makes sense. But I'm not sure if that's my rank, or there are just few people who aren't level 50 any more. All that being said, it's fairly common to get one low leveled player tossed into my high level lobbies, so either the game has nowhere to put them, or it's all just random.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
there is ONE thing that is confirmed though, Turf War tries to match you with players of similar playstyle, that being whether youre a killer or an inker.
Turf used to do this. As far as I can tell, it doesn't anymore, or it stopped doing it for a while, because I kept getting stuffed into lobbies of for-glory deathmatchers with maybe one other inker aside from myself. Unless the last update reinstated the playstyle matching...that'd be really nice if it did, but I haven't been able to play since it happened so I can't confirm. Please tell me it's true.

I really wish they did this for turf as well. I notice team weapon comps are much better in ranked compared to turf by a large margin.
I'm not crying. I just laughed until I sprung a leak. Honest.

Three e-liters and one shooter. Three rollers and a bucket. Three buckets and a blaster. My personal favorite was when I ended up on a team of three splash-o-matics (including myself) and one splat charger.
And don't get me started on the level placements. If there are four level 50s in the lobby, three of them will be on the other team. Four JP players? Three of them will be on the other team - or sometimes all four.

The Turf matchmaker is drunk 99% of the time, I swear :rolleyes:

bagelcubed

Inkling
NNID
bageltrademark
I've been really wondering how the system works too recently. See, I got an alt account and from about level 2 onwards I was put in lobbies of entirely level 50s, all with perfect gear, killer instincts, would actively predict my movements and clearly a taste for blood because Jesus they were intense. Being A rank on my main, I kinda stepped back and came to the conclusion that these squids must be at least S rank because they were WAY out of my league!
Finally I got to level 10 and immediately began ranking up to get to a more suitable standard of ranked players, and I found my turf war buddies changed too. Now they're mostly A or A+ players, as if the game took my current rank and play-style and decided to take pity on me. But seriously, I main chargers so there were moments where my life flashed before my eyes as an e-litre slowly peaked round the corner and I KNEW I wouldn't have time to escape.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
Turf used to do this. As far as I can tell, it doesn't anymore, or it stopped doing it for a while, because I kept getting stuffed into lobbies of for-glory deathmatchers with maybe one other inker aside from myself. Unless the last update reinstated the playstyle matching...that'd be really nice if it did, but I haven't been able to play since it happened so I can't confirm. Please tell me it's true.
unfortunately, there's no real way to say. only thing we know is it was confirmed that matchmaking (or atleast, team matching) was done that way, and it was never confirmed to ever be removed. that being said, nobody knows specifically how it works nor how reliable it is, so it's actual effectiveness is a whole other story.

it is pretty weird, though. there are a good number of low levels, even if they're just alt accounts, the fact the game repeatedly puts players with level 50 S/S+ players during Turf is so odd. maybe there's only a minimal threshold between C - B players and A - S+ ? like as soon as you pass the "requirements" (probably an arbitrary ratio such as win/loss ratio or kill/death or even ink amount?) you get thrown into "A - S+ lobbies". no idea, this is just pure speculation, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's not far from the truth.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
To the op, it's all just a coincidence. I've made numerous alts and basically every time I'd be forced to endure players at unfathomable skill levels (or at least a bit higher than my own). This would be annoying because I'd have **** gear, and every time I needed to play on an alt it'd be for ranked battles. It would be a long way before level 10 each time, but once I'd reached it I'd be like:

HAAAAAALEIGHLUYAH!!!!! HAAAAAALEIGHLUYAH!!!!

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Ive been noticing unbalance in ranked lately. Often times only one side had range weapons....this can be an advantage or not so much depending on mode

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I've stepped away from the game for a while due to school, work, and other life obligations. I haven't played ranked in about a year when I got to S. But lately, when I join turf lobbies, they seem to be like... ALL overpowered and will constantly trap my team to spawn. I thought it might have been because I was rusty, but even after every match, win or lose, I still have the most splats delivered and the highest score. However ever since splatfest ended, when I join my boyfriend's rooms when he plays (he never plays ranked), and those rooms are much calmer and much more manageable, and less stress-inducing. Is this a thing, or is it a coincidence?

Also, PS- Since Splatfests are no more, they should totally add a third stage in to rotation since they have the space for it on the screen.

PPS- I wish this game had a regional option like Mario Kart. Not all of us want to be destroyed by these amazing Japanese players and want to play for fun, not blood.
I've noticed a change in the matchmaking system sometime after the pokémon red vs. blue splatfest. Along with adding splatfest power, I'm positive they also changed the system for plain turf wars despite not mentioning anything about it in the patch notes. I found myself not being able to just simply ink as much turf as possible like I did before and had to try out other weapons and learn to be a little more aggressive in battle.
Unfortunately, the turf war matchmaking system is sort of a mystery. It's probably based on some hidden score that's not displayed on the screen rather than your rank since I've been in matches with great players who were in the A ranks (I'm S+). That and turf wars play differently than ranked.

As for seeing a third stage in the rotation, I'd love to see that happen. Of course I'm happy with just two stages, but why don't stage rotations consist of three stages if the splatfest stage rotation has three? I understand that the splatfest stages stay the same all day which is why it's better to have three than two, but why are there only two for regular and ranked battles? (I think I'd rather only have two for ranked in case there's two stages you love and then the third stage happens to be the one that makes you go "nope.")

And... you and your Japanese players... They're just as great at this game as everyone else. Trust me. I play with all kinds of Japanese players everyday. I've even been in a few party turf war lobbies where all seven of the other players were Japanese. Besides that, the regional option would be great for those with lag problems.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
A nice experience I had when I reseted my game:
I rarely met players above Level 20/30 until I hit Lvl 20 myself in turfwar. How? I never splated anyone on purpose, ran away from confrontations and inked only. This way I could farm my points/money in peace :)
After Lvl 20 it's mixed up, I do a bit more splats in turfwar but I'm not eager for them.

I can only hope that Nintendo will implement the weapon balance from ranked into turf in Splatoon2. That would be nice.

SonnyBlueBalls

Full Squid
NNID
ReaganMcClellan
Team weapon comp balancing would be a godsend. But basing team comps on playstyle? That seems a tad bit reckless. My playstyle depends on the weapon im using, so what happens if i move from an aggressive setup to something in more of a support / inker role? Sounds like ill be screwed.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Team weapon comp balancing would be a godsend. But basing team comps on playstyle? That seems a tad bit reckless. My playstyle depends on the weapon im using, so what happens if i move from an aggressive setup to something in more of a support / inker role? Sounds like ill be screwed.
You're right. And even with the same weapon playstyles vary wildly. I can only hope the matchmaking is a tad more transparent in the sequel.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
It feels like, if you do well in turf wars, you'll get pushed up to go with better people. Also I noticed the turf wars rooms got more intense when I was S rank, and it noticeably dropped for A+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom