• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are Turf Wars getting more friendly because of the Switch reveal?

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
I've been trying to play more Splatoon for a while, I loved it when it was just released. At some point I got some internet problem I spent hours trying to fix, my Wii U wouldn't connect to Nintendo's servers because of it. After it magically fixed itself one day, I both had a gap because I was already used to doing other things with my time, and I felt like Splatoon got and was getting more brutal, and it was harder, so I only played sometimes. I could have fun playing but I think I didn't play often because I was playing with competitive Japanese players and I just wanted to have some fun not to have a death battle.
But I tried playing again today and it felt a lot more friendly, I saw more begginers and mediocre players. I don't mean to say it did an upside down flip and it's now not competitive anymore, it is, but it's better.

Am I the only one who felt that? And do you think the thing is that more casual players were reminded to play Splatoon with the Switch and Spla2on hype going around?

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Actually I noticed that too. I've been matched against more casual A, B, and C players recently rather than the usual ultra-competitive S/S+ pack. The rounds are actually pretty even, and overall total domination rounds haven't been nearly as frequent as they used to be. It kinda feels like the game is back to how it was a year ago- just random. And the match ups feel better too- like there's at least one sniper or one roller to a team instead of 3 E-liters and an N-Zap against 3 Dynamos and an Inkbrush. Turf Wars feels fun again. I no longer have to join my A ranked friends to have fun rounds.

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
Actually I noticed that too. I've been matched against more casual A, B, and C players recently rather than the usual ultra-competitive S/S+ pack. The rounds are actually pretty even, and overall total domination rounds haven't been nearly as frequent as they used to be. It kinda feels like the game is back to how it was a year ago- just random. And the match ups feel better too- like there's at least one sniper or one roller to a team instead of 3 E-liters and an N-Zap against 3 Dynamos and an Inkbrush. Turf Wars feels fun again. I no longer have to join my A ranked friends to have fun rounds.
That's such a good description of what I feel

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Can confirm, Splatoon 2 made me go back to Splatoon 1 to build my skills back up again. I am so out of practice right now, lol.

InkDaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Eyal9070
Can confirm, Splatoon 2 made me go back to Splatoon 1 to build my skills back up again. I am so out of practice right now, lol.
Well in my case it just reminded me of Splatoon and made me want to play it again, but mayb there really are many more mediocre players now

sammich

Inkling Cadet
there are a LOOOOT of fresh players right now. every match each team's kill death ratio is ridiculously unbalanced between members.

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
Yeah. The other day I played Turf War with an inkbrush user who drew hearts and squid-partied next to the opponents base and we pretty much squid-flopped an entire game. I feel like the turf wars are more casual since the end of the splatfests. Like, practically no-one is going to go hard in Turf War until Splatoon 2, sort of vibe.

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
Yeah, I've been getting a lot less Japanese Players, But Ranked Certainly hasn't Changed

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Where are you lot finding these players?! My experience has been ranked mode Turf War with at least two mains worth of damage up being a requirement. @~@

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I feel like Splatoon 2 was just what the community needed for a revival, and now people are getting hype all over again. So yeah I've been seeing this as well, there's just more activity in general and especially less hostile Turf Wars lol.

Allison Jane

Inkling
I started playing a bit over two months ago, and around the last week of December to a week or two into January it was filled to the brim of new people learning to play. Lately, I've actually played less because I feel like I'm getting sucked into someone's tournament practices. I'm not that highly skilled of a player, but I feel like I am a bit above average. However, many of those matches feel like they're against people who are communicating and highly skilled. I've actually been having more luck in Ranked mode, at not getting stressed out, though I am currently B-, that probably has something to do with it.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Idk, because I'm still kinda geting matched up with S+ players in turf constantly, but the problem is that all the C's and B's join my team because I'm S+

But I have noticed a bit more casuals in turf war. I think its because of the Christmas noobs though...

Lyn

Premium
I'm certain a lot of people went back to Splatoon after the announcement of the sequel. Reminders of things can be enough for lots!

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Where are you lot finding these players?! My experience has been ranked mode Turf War with at least two mains worth of damage up being a requirement. @~@
What does Dmg+ have to do with it? A ton of weapons are totally viable without out and some that do have DMG+ builds have just a valid builds without it.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
What does Dmg+ have to do with it? A ton of weapons are totally viable without out and some that do have DMG+ builds have just a valid builds without it.
Being a requirement as in everyone but me and the occasional quick respawn zombie are stacking as much damage as they can.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Being a requirement as in everyone but me and the occasional quick respawn zombie are stacking as much damage as they can.
Well that's inefficient.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Haven't notice anything different in turf war. It has always been an easy game mode to me so maybe that's why i haven't notice.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
This is not my description of turf war. After the Splatoon 2 announcement I think a lot of the good players came back on and it's harder than before for me. It's still more fun and competitive since I'm S+ and don't do ranked anymore (NO MORE!). How is ranked now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom