• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Backfired add-on perks for gears?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
So the Super Sea Snail is going to be a rarity for the game allowing you to reroll the sub-perks and/or add another slot to your gear up to a maximum of three.

I'm absolutely sure that barely anyone except impatient people are going to reroll their gear when they get their hands on this, especially the really expensive 3-star stuff that costs a lot of money.

But i had a thought about the part of adding another sub-perk to your gear, now imagining you play online and most of the last seen people you can find on the plaza and one of them happens to be a guy who had an added perk to one of his gears, i hope this will not be an oversight, but i guess it may already have been something they thought of when making the additional perks to less gears.

If you find one guy with an added perk to one of his gears and order it, don't you think it would be an insane amount of waste if that perk was also added to the order you have done?
I mean the guy paid a super sea snail, something that may only pop up on very rare occassions, or a month between, and everyone who finds his Squid on the plaza and order that gear, doesn't have to pay a Super Sea Snail for it?

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
So the Super Sea Snail is going to be a rarity for the game allowing you to reroll the sub-perks and/or add another slot to your gear up to a maximum of three.

I'm absolutely sure that barely anyone except impatient people are going to reroll their gear when they get their hands on this, especially the really expensive 3-star stuff that costs a lot of money.

But i had a thought about the part of adding another sub-perk to your gear, now imagining you play online and most of the last seen people you can find on the plaza and one of them happens to be a guy who had an added perk to one of his gears, i hope this will not be an oversight, but i guess it may already have been something they thought of when making the additional perks to less gears.

If you find one guy with an added perk to one of his gears and order it, don't you think it would be an insane amount of waste if that perk was also added to the order you have done?
I mean the guy paid a super sea snail, something that may only pop up on very rare occassions, or a month between, and everyone who finds his Squid on the plaza and order that gear, doesn't have to pay a Super Sea Snail for it?
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that if you special order someone else's gear, you get an identical copy--even the specific secondary abilities on the gear that you saw on theirs.

I imagine the gold cost for special ordering will be significantly higher than purchasing a base clothing item from the shops, though.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that if you special order someone else's gear, you get an identical copy--even the specific secondary abilities on the gear that you saw on theirs.

I imagine the gold cost for special ordering will be significantly higher than purchasing a base clothing item from the shops, though.
That's true, but let's say you went through the trouble for getting a Super Sea Snail, you put an extra gear slot on your selected gear and now everyone can order your exact gear you have modified your pressumably hard-earned Super Sea Snail, while other have to just pay a little extra for the gear's exact value with the extra slot included.

What i'm getting at is, the Super Sea Snail has it value backwards, in case people lost their chance of getting a Super Sea Snail, then can just find a gear that has an added slot to it, and eventually in the future, the Super Sea Snail would be useless if all you do is copy gear that others have inserted to their gears.

Wouldn't it beat the purpose of having getting a rare object, if something is there to give others the "advantage" of not needing it to get a gear they want?

(Then again, this is just speculation, it might just give you the original gear excluding the extra slot when ordered)

DaBoss

Pro Squid
Like you mentioned in the end of your latest post, I highly doubt special ordering will give you any extra slots that have been gotten through Super Sea Snails. The stars on gear indicate how many sub-ability slots there are on gear, so I think that's the number of sub-ability slots you will get through special orders.

That's incorrect. You don't get any secondary abilities from gear you special order. The sub-abilities will be random and require you to level up the gear. This was stated in the US Splatoon Direct.

kinetik07

Senior Squid
That's incorrect. You don't get any secondary abilities from gear you special order. The sub-abilities will be random and require you to level up the gear. This was stated in the US Splatoon Direct.
I don't know about this, that statement was a little vague on whether they were talking about the special ordered gear, or just gear you get in general. They were on the gear you could order the whole time they were talking, rather than the shops, but that could just be to keep the video's flow going. If only they showed the gear that was ordered from Spyke, we'd have definitive proof.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I don't know about this, that statement was a little vague on whether they were talking about the special ordered gear, or just gear you get in general. They were on the gear you could order the whole time they were talking, rather than the shops, but that could just be to keep the video's flow going. If only they showed the gear that was ordered from Spyke, we'd have definitive proof.
You're right. Sorry @Yaezakura for my previous post. Just watched the Direct again, and yea, it seems more like you do get the sub-abilities. Again, sorry for my misinformation.
This particular part of that ordering part is what convinced me. It shows up for a few frames after you order it.

Why would the sub-ability icons be there if they weren't going to be a part of the order? And it seems like there is only room for 3 orders. Now I'm starting to question whether the theory by @Flammie for this thread is correct. That would make it a lot easier to get idea gear.

I wonder what happens if you try to special order a piece of gear you already own.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Why would the sub-ability icons be there if they weren't going to be a part of the order? And it seems like there is only room for 3 orders. Now I'm starting to question whether the theory by @Flammie for this thread is correct. That would make it a lot easier to get idea gear.

I wonder what happens if you try to special order a piece of gear you already own.
I think the best evidence is to post a picture of somene ordering a gear with more sub-perks than what the gear originally had.
Or a video of that, or showing some ordering an added sub-perk and jus getting the original one.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
It's cool @DaBoss, but yeah... that same clip you screenshotted is why I believe you get the sub abilities as well. You'd think if all you get is the basic clothing item like you'd find in a shop, the item would revert to its "brand new" status when in the actual ordering screen. Instead, it stays looking as if it's the exact same item--like what you're actually doing is paying Spyke to mug the other player and steal their clothes.

Which is kind of hilarious.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
It's cool @DaBoss, but yeah... that same clip you screenshotted is why I believe you get the sub abilities as well. You'd think if all you get is the basic clothing item like you'd find in a shop, the item would revert to its "brand new" status when in the actual ordering screen. Instead, it stays looking as if it's the exact same item--like what you're actually doing is paying Spyke to mug the other player and steal their clothes.

Which is kind of hilarious.
Oh i would love to see the fanart of Spyke mugging inklings for orders! xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom