1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Banning Weapons or Maps?

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Lyn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Lyn

Lyn Squid Savior From the Future
    Premium

Do you think there will be any weapons or maps banned in competitive Splatoon? I don't think there would be, but imbalance can happen in any game (especially from Nintendo). If stages or weapons or etc; being banned is likely, which do you think would be banned? I don't like the idea of banning anything if not completely necessary, but you never know.

2. Icedise

Icedise The Savage Squid

NNID:
    IceDise
    I really hope that there wont be any major imbalances among the weaponry. Having to ban certain weapons would lead to pretty narrow meta game and thus overall more boring matches. This isnt any real input to the thread but just stating my thoughts.

3. Raethien

Raethien Inkster Jr.

I think they may ban like lets say, only one person can have this type of weapon. Or possibly, they may make it where you don't wear any items, so every squid will be exactly the same.

4. Lyn

Premium

That is possible, and I'd think that would work for certain tournaments! The more variety in competition, the better I think.

Raethien likes this.
  5. jp4464

jp4464 Jazzy Inkling
    Moderator Premium

NNID:
    jp4464
    We'll have to see how the meta develops. I don't anticipate any equipment or weapon bans in the near future, as I believe bans could really hurt the longevity of the game.

6. suavevillain

suavevillain Inkling Cadet

Well if this game gets balance patching it won't be needed it but gotta let the meta develop to find out.

Tentacruel likes this.
  7. Xon Suprimes

Xon Suprimes Senior Squid

I think that banning stages wouldn't be too good, they don't really have anything so far that is completely broken. Same for weapons.

LunarDistortion and Lyn like this.
  8. Lyn

Premium

Hopefully we can all agree on that.

Let's hope they do keep it updated after release.

suavevillain likes this.
  9. Setu

Setu Moderator

Banning anything would be psycho unless it was like specials weapons altogether or something which wouldn't be a good idea either. This isn't smash bros people...

GermexTJ, cable and Lyn like this.
  10. Lyn

Premium

It doesn't have to be Smash Bros. to be unbalanced, this kind of things happens in shooters often.

FunkyLobster likes this.
  11. DaKid

DaKid Pro Squid

Every weapon I've seen so far seems pretty balanced but we'll see.

12. Detta

Detta Inkling

NNID:
    Dettadeus
    I think it would be better to have limitations rather than outright bans, like having a limit on the number of people who can be using the same weapon per team. If one weapon is somewhat overpowered, then one person on each team can have access to it while the other three are able to work around it.

Jellyfishn and cable like this.
  13. Icedise

Icedise The Savage Squid

NNID:
    IceDise
    Well, 4 members per team is not THAT much so if a team decides to pick only one kind of weapon (for example the paint roller), they have no actual ranged combad outside of grenades and paint bombs. It might be that a team going for only one or two kind of weapons could limit them more than actually be a working stradegy :p of course all this needs to be tested and experienced in the acutal game. Theorycrafting the tactics and balance is pretty hollow even though holding back is gonna do no good either!

14. Lyn

Premium

That is true, strategy would affect weapons. I'm just hoping certain weapons don't get banned altogether.

15. Mr. Squidward Tennisballs

I hear they will be making certain weapons have certain secondary weapons or whatever, to prevent Overpowered Setups.
    If that's the case, great.

It's possible for your entire team to have the same setup as you and that can lead to a disadvantage.

I'd appreciate an ingame setup swap during the match.

16. Bottlecapn

Bottlecapn Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Bottlecapn
    Maybe a ban on equipment if perks end up imbalanced. Which would totally suck. I want to look cool while inking on the battlefield :(

#sacrificesmustbemade

17. Lyn

Premium

Isn't equipment just cosmetic? I hope so.

18. Icedise

Icedise The Savage Squid

NNID:
    IceDise
    No, its totally not cosmetic. Certain equipment gives you different starts (like running speed, swimming speed, ink reloadtime, etc.) and you need to level up the equipment to unlock more and stronger bonuses. It's one core element in the multiplayer to have different kind of combinations of equipment.

EDIT: Just to clarify with an example: http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/108936778189/new-report-weve-learned-that-headgear-clothing

19. Lyn

Premium

That.. bothers me. I think that will be banned, likely. It doesn't seem very balanced.

20. Mr. Squidward Tennisballs

I feel like there's no point in having different clothing if it's gonna have stats, I'd like for them to have a cosmetic menu where you can get the same clothes but they won't have the stats.

Lyn likes this.