• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Best gear for chargers?

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Hey guys,
I'm trying to learn playing chargers. Now I have this gear which I play with the .52 Gal Deco:

I have two questions:
1) Which is the best charger weapon to start with? I'm level 17 ,so I don't have every single weapon unlocked.

2) Which gear is the best for chargers ? Like which main and sub abilities should I have?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I appreciate it.

InfiltrationFox

Inkling
1) I would say anything with a scope so you can aim a little easier.

2) I can't really give much of an opinion on sub abilities, but I would say that Ink Resistance is optimal for shoes because chargers can have a hard time inking their feet. The clothes ability is a sort of whatever you prefer kind-of-thing, but I would say ninja swim and cold-blooded are both good for stealth purposes. As for headgear, it's up to you, because I don't think a particular ability favors chargers in that area.

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Well,basically my gear doesn't need any changes then depending on your opinion. And there are many weapons with scope...I need to see which one to take. Thanks.

Other opinions are welcome.

vsock

Inkling
NNID
sockchan
1) The Kelp Splatterscope is the only charger with a scope on it. I personally don't like it because it forces you to zoom in on the scope while charging to full, which can be kinda disorienting. But you should try it out anyways to form your own opinion.

Best starters are the Splat and Kelp Splat Chargers. Splat for turf wars and Kelp for ranked. The sprinkler on the Kelp Splat can be thrown onto areas in a capture point that make them a hassle for the opposing team to take out. If you're doing a good job, people will come at you in a salty rage to knock you off your perch (and they will chase you into your base), so learn a variety of positions to switch to so you don't get camped.

2) Many say that the stats you get from gear are so minuscule they hardly matter unless you've stacked them. That said, getting kill shots with chargers is difficult, and most of the time you'll just be applying pressure/covering turf. Ink-savers and quick-fills are my favorites, but again, doesn't make much of a difference.

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
Alright. Thanks mate. A good sniper simply controls and carries the whole match (especially in Splat Zones)

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
1) Both variant of the splat charger and squatterscope are a good place to start ; the base varient is more offensive while the kalp variant is more defensive ; so take those depending of your playstyle.

2) Ink resistance for feet as ink resistance is OP, It'll make your escape easier then under fire and you'll actually walk in enemy ink quite often as charger are kinda poor to clean those small puddle of those. Your current shoe are decent for that ; so you can just keep it

Cold-blooded for the body slot ; Echolocator and to a lesser estant motion sensor pretty much force you to hide for his duration if you don't want to be shoot down. Cold-blooded heavyly reduce the duration of those two turning them into a minor nuisance. Ninja squid might be tempting but you'll probably want to keep your maximum swim speed. Again just keep your clothing.

Head slot is whatever fill your preference, I personally use fake contact (boost special charge up ; brand give a higher chance to have ink recovery up but I didn't got that for all the sub slot yet) or Bobble Hat (Boost quick jump ; brand give ink saver main and I managed to get it at all 3 slot) But your current hat is fine too.

As for sub abilities ; I'll recommend you to look up which brand increase the chance to get X ability. Good abilities for charger in general are: -Ink saver (main), -Ink recovery up, -run speed and -swim speed, not recommended sub abilities are -ink saver (sub) (ink recovery up work better 99% of the time) -Defense up (tanking one shot barely matter for a sniper) and -Quick respawn (as a charger you shouldn't die at the first place ; it true for every weapon but even more then you play charger). The rest of the sub abilities can work depending in the charger

But in short you can pretty much do well with your current gear.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i've been really curious about this as well, especially since i'm not quite sure the best skill set for squiffers which have a bit of a different playstyle than other chargers.

ink saver (sub) seems to be somewhat more useful on the classic squiffer than other chargers as the point sensor is used frequently almost as a form of movement. ink saver (main) also does a little less since you can shoot many fully-charged shots without running out of ink.

is ink resistance really superior to ninja squid? i have used a lot of both and i seemed to be performing a lot better with ninja squid. i can slip past enemies, especially enemy chargers, and pull a quick charge and kill.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
is ink resistance really superior to ninja squid? i have used a lot of both and i seemed to be performing a lot better with ninja squid. i can slip past enemies, especially enemy chargers, and pull a quick charge and kill.
I've completely dropped Ninja Squid from my build for just about everything and picked up cold blooded because I feel it's superior as is ink resistance, overall. Think about it, you spend more time traversing and spraying, so much so that, what good is ninja squid if you can't escape because your ink is covered up? Ink res gives you a gleaming hope of survival over just being squid on.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Ink resistance is feet only while ninja squid is body slot only ; however ; ninja squid do have competition with cold blooded ; All I can say is to remember that ninja squid reduce swim speed ; although the speed reduce is negligible.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
The most important thing for Charger is being able to rushdown an enemy and run away when need be. Ink Resistance helps out way too much with this, and pmuch nothing will be able to out run a good charger when it comes to chasing.

My personal preference is Keplat Splatter (no scope, it will just slow you down) With Sub Sprinkler, and Killer Whale (for sniping and because this is the only set up lawl). Honestly Sprinkler is just way too important to rush down Chargers, but other things you would want to get is speed. Speed in Squid Form I find the best, although having high recover rate works well too. The things you probably want to avoid is anything that won't help your mobility.

Course Charger can also hold points well, and with that it wides up a lot, but I'd still suggest having nearly the same set up. Although I'd avoid any Squid Jump Abilities, they are useless to you compared to swim up or speed up.

Last edited:

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Damage Up may be a bit rubbish for most weapons, but it can be very helpful for Chargers. It means you don't have to charge up your shot as much in order to reach the point where your shot can kill.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I may consider damage up or cold blooded instead of ink recovery to cut down on charge time. I currently have ink saver main, ink recovery and ink resistance, with 3 ink saver subs and 4 ink recovery subs ( defense and super jump on the others). My ink resistance has 2 ink recovery sub as well as an ink saver so I would be willing to swap out the ink recovery main for a damage up. Imho cold blooded is useless for snipers, especially E-liters. You are constantly clearing area for your team from a distance so 9/10 times people know where you are, if they aren't paying attention its because they are or think they are a safe distance away from you. Your laser dot is also a clear give away as to wear you are. However a good sniper watching his back wont be ambushed and will pick off anyone advancing. Seems like its better used for those who like to ambush mid to closer ranged.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Let's hope the update doesn't kill Ink Res...

Damage up is godly on the E-liter but not really useful on anything else. Squiffers don't gain anything, actually. Other then that, I recommend the cookie-cutter ISM, SS, QJ, NS, CB, and IR. Maybe a sub Def or two to tank out extra hits from certain weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom