• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Best Roller Post Patch Discussion

Nihabz

Banned (6 points)
This is just an opinion thread for my fellow roller mains who are struggling to figure out what the best rolleer is post patch

Gks1

Inkling
NNID
Gksuno
I think that the Splat Roller and Krak-on Splat roller is the best rollers at the moment but in my opinion the 6 rollers it's so similar ( with its differents)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I feel like each roller plays differently enough that there isn't one that is strictly better than the others. If I had to pick I'd probably say Carbon Roller because it has the best kit, imo. I don't think the nerf really did all that much to rollers.

SkyBound

Inkster Jr.
Well i cant really feel the dyna roller nerf so i would say normal splat roller and dynamo roller.
Im not really in competive doe

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
There isn't a 'best roller' in the game because every player is different and we use our rollers differently. Every roller in the game has its strong points and how it is used will entirely depend on the player using it. A roller will only be bad if the player using it is bad with it. So there's really no roller in the game that is inherently better than the other ones. It's all entirely dependent on the players using rollers and their play style.

Personally, my favorite rollers are the Carbon Roller and Carbon Roller Deco.

I'm almost always using one of the Carbon Rollers and I will switch it up depending on the stages in rotation. For example... If Camp Triggerfish is in the rotation, I'll probably be using my Carbon Roller because my Inkzooka and Burst Bombs are more handy than my Seekers would be. However, if Walleye Warehouse is in the rotation, I will probably using my Deco because my Seekers are very helpful on that stage. I am also a player who enjoys the speed of the Carbon Roller. I know that I trade my range for additional speed but I'm okay with that. My play style can get around the lowered range and work to the strengths of a faster roller.

So in my personal opinion, the Carbon Roller and Carbon Roller Deco are the best rollers for me personally. They're the ones I like best and the ones I use the most.

They're not the only rollers I use though. I will also use the Krak-on Roller, Splat Roller, and Hero Roller Replica from time to time. I usually never touch the Dynamo Roller or Gold Dynamo Roller though.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Best Roller? Hard to say, they're all really different. I'd say Dynamo, Carbon (godly kit), Krak-On, Splat Roller, Gold Dynamo, Carbon Deco (meme rush) is my roller tier list.

The patch didn't change anything, Just Dynamo isn't braindead anymore.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The patch definitely did make some changes to rollers that can't be ignored. It's just that the changes made were as grand like some people were hoping and/or thinking they would be. I know a lot of people seemed to have expected a lot more from the roller nerf than what we got. It just got hyped up far too much and people who dislike rollers got too hopeful of Nintendo making rollers useless. I mean, the patch didn't exactly do anything substantial to rollers but it did make some minimal changes.

The decrease in splash damage is something that quickly becomes fairly noticeable to roller mains. At first, when I was playing the game after the patch, I didn't really notice the decrease in damage too much. In the following days though, it was becoming fairly apparently to me and I was really beginning to feel the decrease. It wasn't a very big change but in a tight situation, I think a lot of rollers were accustomed to just swinging to try and get out of it. So it took some adjusting to remember that you grow weaker with every repeated swing and you need to take a small break between your swings. It kind of forced a small change in tactic for when you get stuck in a tight spot.

The fact we can't OHKO with the side of our roller anymore has also forced a small change in play style. When we're rolling and we hit someone hiding in ink, we won't kill with the side of our roller anymore so it forces players to learn a quicker reaction. Bumping into the player gives them away when they're hiding but it's up to the player to react quicker than the other player.

They're small changes that didn't exactly effect rollers too much but there were some things brought on by the patch.

Filo ITA

Full Squid
NNID
FiloSNK
I've still not understood this diminishing damage from repeated flicks. I'm using the dynamo and I definitely feel all the nerfs (more time to start refilling ink, damage from the sides is ~50 even if your opponent is literally 5 centimeters from you, you can't OHKO people when you're completely out of ink) but this one.

on the patch notes It was listed as a neutral change, not a nerf.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I've still not understood this diminishing damage from repeated flicks. I'm using the dynamo and I definitely feel all the nerfs (more time to start refilling ink, damage from the sides is ~50 even if your opponent is literally 5 centimeters from you, you can't OHKO people when you're completely out of ink) but this one.

on the patch notes It was listed as a neutral change, not a nerf.
There is no diminishing damage. You do the same damage every flick instead of random (old: 87-250 new: 125)

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I actually don't notice the nerf that much with the Dynamo, Maybe I don't get anymore crazy quadrakills with one swipe, but I haven't really felt like I was denied any kills I deserved.

On the other hand I had to readjust to the Carbon Roller after the patch. I use to fling my ink over the enemies head so they couldn't run but now if you do that all the ink just sails over them.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I'm not sure if it's "better" now. But it's definitely one of the best Rollers in the game. The support it provides is absolutely amazing, and its range is absolutely redonk for such a strong weapon. The speed of recovering ink after a flick is VERY much noticeable though.
I'd recommend running it 9 out of 10 times to be honest because the amount of time it takes is SO long. You thought Splash Wall took a while, at least you can attack immediately after and have a shield. Dynamo has to either run away or some how miraculously get enough Ink back and flick again, all in a VERY limited amount of time, to kill whatever is coming.

I mean, in its defense, it should never be in the front lines, but sometimes close combat is a pain. It's a damn good Roller, but I'm not entirely sure it's quite the "best" one. Not after the nerf at least.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
It drops off on both sides. You can't kill with the handle when it drops. You go from always getting multi-kills in front of you to RNG.
I think if you angled it right you could still get nice triple kills, but yeah most of the time it will probably only be single or double. But It makes sense, kind of weird to be complaining that the weapon can't ace the enemy team in one hit anymore xD Probably a sign the nerf was a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom