• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Bomb usage discussion

How much are bombs going to be used competitively?

• Total voters

ProjectQ

Inkling
NNID
ianwit8
So on the testfires, I developed more and more various tactics with bombs (especially the splat bomb), and happened to find myself using them more and more. One game, I netted 12kills-0deaths made up entirely of bombs in enemy highgrounds. Is this just a placebo, or are bombs (especially the splat bomb) really game-changing?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i think the regular ink bomb is probably the best projectile in the game because of its radius and 1 hit kill. amazing for area denial. if you throw it down a chokepoint you basically force the team into a situation where they have to:
  1. retreat and lose territory
  2. rush past the nade's radius and into your territory, where you have the upper hand
i would not pick a loadout without it, personally, though you can still be competitive without it imo

in the demo i tried the splat bombs you get from the special on the splattershot, it didnt seem actually effective at killing people. it didn't have to detonate, sure, but it had such a small radius and the time to kill with it was actually slower than just shooting people

it wasn't in the demo, but i think splat walls are going to be great too. you basically create temporary areas where the enemy team cannot progress. for example, in ProJared's splat zone video, someone on his team threw a splat wall next to the crates and slopes on walleye warehouse and denied the enemy team a lot of coverage for them to advance. since they had to focus on taking it down, it bought his team time to cap the splat zone.
there's going to be a lot of "wall spots" like that in the game that buys you a lot of time to tactically reapproach the situation. i'm very interesting in seeing what the competitive community does with them.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Ink Bomb is going to be the go to bomb sub. Walls are going to have uses. Disruptor is gonna be interesting. Echo-locator sub might also prove useful. Spawn points are also a maybe. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of those for competitive play.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Echo-locator sub might also prove useful.
if there's any sub weapons that's either going to be very strong or absolutely useless, it's this one

having a weapon that gives away your enemy's position in a game focused on map control could define the meta. but if the way it works is underwhelming, such as if it barely has any range to it or if it activates seconds late, it won't be worth it compared to the other sub weapons we have

Thunder

Inkling
NNID
ThunderousPowerX
Bombs are pretty effective if used correctly around enemy ground and can be a great weapon and a nice last ditch effort to get territory and kills.

It all just depends though, this is all from personal sighting in testfire lobbies

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
if there's any sub weapons that's either going to be very strong or absolutely useless, it's this one

having a weapon that gives away your enemy's position in a game focused on map control could define the meta. but if the way it works is underwhelming, such as if it barely has any range to it or if it activates seconds late, it won't be worth it compared to the other sub weapons we have
True. The Echo-locator Special is going to be HUGE though. Reveals everyone on the the enemy team for a set period of time.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
True. The Echo-locator Special is going to be HUGE though. Reveals everyone on the the enemy team for a set period of time.
for real, that special is going to basically define a push

if you see the team all spread out and can make a vague idea of which player is which, then you can pick off the players that impose the biggest threat, such as rollers covering up 50% of the map

and if/when they see the "X user Echo-Locator!" on the right side of the screen and panic and all group together, you're just making them an easier target since you can gather your whole team around and overwhelm them, too

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
The fact they don't bounce off walls bug me. I like using bouncing bombs so I can angle it exactly where I want it to go, even if it's placement isn't in plain sight.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
The fact they don't bounce off walls bug me. I like using bouncing bombs so I can angle it exactly where I want it to go, even if it's placement isn't in plain sight.
I thought Ink grenades can sort of bounce off of things?

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Honestly the splat bomb seemed pretty bad, the radius was very small. I tried and tried to make use of them in the test fire but I found that unless using the special barrage of them to just cover an area in panic or at the last second, they had very little impact, unless 2 or more people are standing right next to eachother I found myself doing more damage with my primary.

Regular ink bomb was definitely much much more effective even if I used it much less due to my favouring the regular splattershot. Actually being able to use it around corners and to flush out enemies from behind cover much more effectively. I'm hoping that the sets aren't predetermined and that you can mix and match but in the weapon shop preview of the Nintendo direct they seemed to be packaged together.

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
No I'm talking about the actual grenades not the water balloons. I've tested and I dont recall bouncing.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
No I'm talking about the actual grenades not the water balloons. I've tested and I dont recall bouncing.
huh, i've only used the splattershot jr. once when tested but the times i've thrown grenades i recall them bouncing off fine. if you're right, though, that's too bad, but imo that doesn't stop them from being a great area denial tool

WydrA

Inkling Commander
huh, i've only used the splattershot jr. once when tested but the times i've thrown grenades i recall them bouncing off fine. if you're right, though, that's too bad, but imo that doesn't stop them from being a great area denial tool
You're right, They definitely 100% bounce. So much so that aiming them straight at the ground and it still bounces away. I know because I spent a couple minutes straight messing around with it. I believe someone made a topic stating the same thing yesterday.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Likely often, I don't see why anyone wouldn't use them. :)

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Well from the testfire, I have noticed that the only one with splatting potential was that timed sticky bomb. The others seemed to just deal a small amount of damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom