• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Booyah Battle 3

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker

Oct. 24-25 | 3PM EST

Rejoice, fellow Inklings, for the grand event has returned to Booyah Base! Our third installment is raring to go. Get your squads ready to determine who reigns supreme once more!

...What do you mean this page looks weird? Looks normal to me.

0 Teams have Signed Up

>>SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED<<
Please click the link above to be sent to the form where you will fill out your team's information. Only one person per team is needed to fill out the form. In that form, you will be linked to the Challonge singups page where you will have to register your team on Challonge and signup as your team.

Do note that the signups on Challonge are not representative of the final bracket. This will simply be used for seeding purposes. Once check-ins are finished, we will prepare the new group brackets and send your team the invitation to enter those brackets.
  • Signups will close a day before the event begins.
  • Please limit the number of teams your squad signs up to 2
Do note that if you fail to check in during the noted time, your team will be DQ'd.

The tournament will be divided into two days. Please note that you are expected to understand the rules and how they work.

Map rotations for each round will be announced the day before the event begins.

Day 1: Round Robin Groups

Bo3 | Top 2 Advance

Day 2: Top Cut

Bo5 | Double Elimination

>>RULES<<

$50 Prize Pool
1st $25 | 2nd $15 | 3rd $10

Winners will receive a special flair for /r/Splatoon

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
Would be interested to see how the use of swiss format will turn out again.

Stan64

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Stan64
Calamari Cup had a group stage that worked really well. I hope that's what they mean with swiss groups.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Suggestion.. how about Squid Boards starts making tournaments for none top 20 ranked teams. As in to give these other teams more practice and more "tournament matches" to play in, considering that's what people are trying to do with Swiss Group Stages!

Symph

Full Squid
NNID
Symphonia46
Let's be real here, the swiss style can work well. It only gets messed up when there are a bunch of DQs. Don't want to diss Hank either, but the tourney was not managed that well.

Booyah Battle 2 had 3/46 teams DQ'd (at least half having participated in past tournaments)

Nintendome had 13/58 teams DQ'd (most being very inexperienced about tournaments)

Swiss can work if there aren't any disqualifications (which is why this works more for LAN since there will be less no-shows). We shouldn't take Nintendome as the only example of what Swiss is like. It can work really well if the TOs manage it correctly. Hank only hosted his tourney because it was in celebration of having 10K subs and wanted to do something with his money.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Let's be real here, the swiss style can work well. It only gets messed up when there are a bunch of DQs. Don't want to diss Hank either, but the tourney was not managed that well.
Very true, but at this point I don't think it's a matter of weather it can work or not.. but rather what the players prefer. Of course there is going to be a chance that the majority is going to be =against what most of the high end competitive players in any community wants.. considering that in any community the level of elite players compared to the rest is vast different in numbers. I think all these TO's of up coming tournaments need to evaluate what the high end of the community wants. Don't get me wrong we need the rest of the community for things to progress, but don't walk over the current players who don't want a Swiss Group Stage. By all means if most teams want to switch over then I'm on board, but like I said.. there's ALWAYS a way to appeal to both high end competitive players and new players!

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
I mean.. at this point everything is going to be trial by fire. As in people will want to try new things and do it anyway! So ehhh guess we just have to sit back and go along for the ride!

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
I think this will work very well for 2 reasons, one the TO has been very careful on how the scoring works to ensure it is fair to all. You can watch the video and see him go through multiple scenarios proving it works.

Secondly it will be broken up into groups at first, this means instead of waiting on every match to finish you are only waiting on the matches from your group to finish. This should hopefully mean that rounds won't take a full hour. Added with the TO's experience from previous tournaments, he will know when to nudge a team to get them moving or DQ someone for taking too long.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
As long as things are run properly and organized well. I guess I'm not really opposed to it.

Theres still a lot of room for experimentation in that way. Nintendome could have been run smoother. Thats all I'll really say on the topic since
this isnt necessarily the place.

I enjoyed participating in BB2 and trust the TO'ing so for now its just a waiting game i suppose. oL will most likely compete regardless~

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Suggestion:

1. one rainmaker maximum per round in Swiss ONLY. IMO RM is the most luck based mode between the 3 legal and the most exploitable.
2. If you're going to do Swiss, make a cutoff at TOP 16, not 8.
Yes, yes, and yes please.

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
Nothing wrong with swiss, that's why you get subs to last long. Or at least group stages.

Leanny

Senior Squid
NNID
Leanny
Still need a date for the tournament xD

Edit: Just found it. But the google forms still says Booyah Battle 2 in the text

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
At what time will the tournament begin for each day ?
And how long will we have to play roughly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom