• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Brella builds?

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
Thought I'd make a topic on this to see if anyone is still trying to use this thing seriously so I could see what people's builds are like... Been doing alright with it so far with like half of this build I'm ultimately trying to make (did the quad ink saver main but still working on the rest):

Mains
Ink saver main
Ink saver sub
Special charge up

Subs
Ink saver main x3
Bomb defense up x6

I debated bomb defense because honestly a lot of things could fit with this weapon but I figure I will be facing a lot of bombs with this and 6 subs helps survive some burst bomb combos, although maybe I could do with a few less, I'm not sure. Ink saver sub is for making the sprinkler not so ink hungry, and ink saver main is because this thing eats up ink very fast if you hold it out for any real length of time. Special charge is just to get that ink storm to help support more and make some 2hko situations potentially one hit KOs.

Feel free to share yours, I'd be interested to see some!

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I basically just run the same kit as I do with the blaster or slosher.

Because I have the same sort of Swim>Jump>Shoot>Swim>Jump>Shoot etc strategy with the brella as I do with the blaster, I run a main of ink recovery and at least one main of swim speed, so my ink is constantly topped up and I can move around quickly.

Also run speed is never a bad thing.

Other than that, I think it's down to personal preference, but I like to run some sub saver and abilities that benefit my special.

I don't really use Main Saver because I don't use the shield that often, and besides the shield this thing doesn't use much ink.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Currently running special up, ink resistance up and swim speed up.
also have 3 bomb defense and 3 main saver subs.

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
I basically just run the same kit as I do with the blaster or slosher.

Because I have the same sort of Swim>Jump>Shoot>Swim>Jump>Shoot etc strategy with the brella as I do with the blaster, I run a main of ink recovery and at least one main of swim speed, so my ink is constantly topped up and I can move around quickly.

Also run speed is never a bad thing.

Other than that, I think it's down to personal preference, but I like to run some sub saver and abilities that benefit my special.

I don't really use Main Saver because I don't use the shield that often, and besides the shield this thing doesn't use much ink.
I can see that. Interesting! I always seemed to be running out of ink myself before but I use the shield quite a bit on maps like port mackerel or moray where there are long narrow corridors suited to it, and I throw sprinklers a lot as distractions, so I definitely make use of the cheaper ink. I was thinking about ditching some bomb defense for run speed, but I wasn't sure about just using 3 subs.

Currently running special up, ink resistance up and swim speed up.
also have 3 bomb defense and 3 main saver subs.
Seems like a pretty good build, I would have gone for something like this normally but since I use sprinklers a lot I really was feeling the ink usage without ink saver sub.

Also the quote isn't working for me for some reason watermonster but how is ninja squid working out? I decided against it but I thought it might be really good with the brella. That's the interesting thing, there's so many builds that all look good that I can't decide what to use!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I've been using this, which I also plan to use on the sorella brella:

:ability_comeback:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Nothing special really, just a generic self-explanatory set-up that enhances all aspects of the weapon.

Watermonster1

Full Squid
NNID
Jayden
Switch Friend Code
SW-1083-9987-9105
I added comeback to my set and got rid of Quick respawn due to me getting better at the weapon

I can see that. Interesting! I always seemed to be running out of ink myself before but I use the shield quite a bit on maps like port mackerel or moray where there are long narrow corridors suited to it, and I throw sprinklers a lot as distractions, so I definitely make use of the cheaper ink. I was thinking about ditching some bomb defense for run speed, but I wasn't sure about just using 3 subs.

Seems like a pretty good build, I would have gone for something like this normally but since I use sprinklers a lot I really was feeling the ink usage without ink saver sub.

Also the quote isn't working for me for some reason watermonster but how is ninja squid working out? I decided against it but I thought it might be really good with the brella. That's the interesting thing, there's so many builds that all look good that I can't decide what to use!
It really good when your trying to get close to people and really great for sneak attacks

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
I've been using this, which I also plan to use on the sorella brella:

:ability_comeback:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Nothing special really, just a generic self-explanatory set-up that enhances all aspects of the weapon.
I might try and fit in swim speed since my rolls haven't been great anyway and I might not really need 6 subs of bomb defense since I have been doing OK with like 3.

I added comeback to my set and got rid of Quick respawn due to me getting better at the weapon

It really good when your trying to get close to people and really great for sneak attacks
Comeback is one of those abilities I always want to use but never manage to fit in :/

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I might try and fit in swim speed since my rolls haven't been great anyway and I might not really need 6 subs of bomb defense since I have been doing OK with like 3.

Comeback is one of those abilities I always want to use but never manage to fit in :/
Has bomb defense really been helpful? Seems too situational to me.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Mobility with this weapon is essential. It hits like a blaster but can't hit confirm like a blaster, so you need to pursue your kills. Swim speed also assists with defensive and offensive sprinkler placement, getting in and out safely, or even setting it up as a substitute and circle drifting the opponent for a 1v1 kill.

Reduce the ink usage on sprinkler, but that requires a lot of perks to be advantageous.

Bomb defense is okay, but ideally you never have to face a bomb toss head on, and can escape it from shield after the hit.

Brella shines brightest on tower, I feel. Otherwise, it seems difficult to apply its skillsets with the current release.

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
Has bomb defense really been helpful? Seems too situational to me.
It's been situationally useful but I don't know if i should really run it at all. It has helped me a couple times but I might like the utility of something that helps all game long better. My rationale was just to help against people trying to flank me, but I haven't really noticed the effect helping me often (I usually have about 3 on at a time while rolling abilities).

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Turns out Ink Saver Main actually does help consumption when blocking with the Brella. Since I really love to block things, My build is as follows (numbers are main abilities' worth (3 sub abilities)):

Ink Saver Main (x2)
Special Charge Up (x2)
Ink Recovery Up (x1)
Ink Saver Sub (x1)

Special charge up is wonderful for the brella, because it really loves to have an inkstorm out whenever possible. Once we start figuring out what the soft/hard caps on abilities are, I might change my set further. I'd love to cram in more SCU, because ink storm is just so good. All the ink savers are self-explanatory, as it can be a tough weapon to manage ink with.

An alternative set I would run is the same as above, but swapping the values of sub saver and main saver. I did a bit of testing last night to see if you could both do a brella launch and a sprinkler throw on a single tank. It was doable with both 2ISM/1ISS and 1ISM/2ISS -- the latter, however, also allowed for one more brella attack before running out of ink. So it would be better for a more sprinkler-heavy playstyle.

Other things I like are Ninja Squid (helps in those close-up confrontations, and escaping them if you have no allies around), Swim Speed up (swim to your allies to protect them faster), and Ink Resistance (for those times you're blocking and ink showers all around you, you'll be less stuck).

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Turns out Ink Saver Main actually does help consumption when blocking with the Brella. Since I really love to block things, My build is as follows (numbers are main abilities' worth (3 sub abilities)):

Ink Saver Main (x2)
Special Charge Up (x2)
Ink Recovery Up (x1)
Ink Saver Sub (x1)

Special charge up is wonderful for the brella, because it really loves to have an inkstorm out whenever possible. Once we start figuring out what the soft/hard caps on abilities are, I might change my set further. I'd love to cram in more SCU, because ink storm is just so good. All the ink savers are self-explanatory, as it can be a tough weapon to manage ink with.

An alternative set I would run is the same as above, but swapping the values of sub saver and main saver. I did a bit of testing last night to see if you could both do a brella launch and a sprinkler throw on a single tank. It was doable with both 2ISM/1ISS and 1ISM/2ISS -- the latter, however, also allowed for one more brella attack before running out of ink. So it would be better for a more sprinkler-heavy playstyle.

Other things I like are Ninja Squid (helps in those close-up confrontations, and escaping them if you have no allies around), Swim Speed up (swim to your allies to protect them faster), and Ink Resistance (for those times you're blocking and ink showers all around you, you'll be less stuck).
I wasn't going to post, because I don't have much to add to this. I do want to mention though, that, for the vanilla brella, this seems to be the definitive all purpose set. The only tweak to make would be to trade Ink Recovery for Bomb Defense to play a little more defensively, or throw in Ninja Squid if Splat Zones perch camping is a possibility for the brella.

This set helps make the brella's strong points shine, and I'd personally elect for the 1ISM/2ISS version for the most support use.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
This seems to be a very good set! Do you know about the viability of the Brella in Ranked? Is it worth using at all, or no?
Yes, I've had some success with it -- but it's very, VERY dependent on how your teammates perform, so it's been pretty inconsistent for me. They have to be able to take the opportunities in Ink storm and finishing off whoever shoots at your brella, and take advantage of the turf you lay down and any shield launches you do. When you have teammates who will cooperate, you'll perform some gorgeous, decimating plays. I haven't even used that actual set yet, as I'm still building towards it. Just the general Ink Saving abilities (especially main for the shield) have been a big help!

Its has fun applications in each ranked mode. TC should be obvious, use the shield to get a bit more of a push, and use Ink Storm to deny enemy pushes. In RM, use brella launches as a distraction for enemies, or a pushing tool. It can even shield you from Rainmaker shots and the shield explosion. And in SZ, you can really deny people the Splat Zone by shielding the splat zone or simply being a huge target to shoot at while the real objective, the splat zone, ticks down.

Never underestimate its objective denial abilities! Very often have I used the brella to shield the SZ, Tower, or Rainmaker to prevent the opponents from getting into overtime, winning us the game. Used in conjunction with your ink storm, you can put your opponents in very stressful situations where they may make hasty mistakes to work around your brella blocking.

And one final interesting note, it's very good at shooting down on people. When you've got the high ground (as opposed to equal footing), the shotgun spray is much deadlier. It's good to note them on the tower or if you're pushed back in Port Mackerel.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Quick question! Can anyone help confirm if Run Speed Up effects shield movement speed and shield turn speed?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Quick question! Can anyone help confirm if Run Speed Up effects shield movement speed and shield turn speed?
Run speed does effect shield movement but not by much even with 3 mains. I didn't test the latter but it wouldn't really make sense for run speed to effect turn speed since how fast you turn is dependent on your inputs (plus turning isn't running).

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thanks for confirming. I was also wondering about turn speed because I still shuffle whenever, mostly because I'm trying to quarter an opponent when they want to move around me.

Guess that's one less ability to concern myself over. Much appreciated.

Other than the expected ink efficiency abilities, hmm, I guess Object Shredder can be a useful consideration. Especially considering how often ink armor is used. =/

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
I tried it out, Lonely Dolphin is right about it affecting movement speed. I tried testing out RSU's effects on its turn speed, and there's no noticeable difference, if any at all.

I think it's worth a consideration, in theory anyway. It's a bit situational, but if you get stuck in a stalemate where your brella is being fired at, it will allow you to shuffle faster behind cover, where you can lay down the shield and take a moment.

Thanks for confirming. I was also wondering about turn speed because I still shuffle whenever, mostly because I'm trying to quarter an opponent when they want to move around me.
What weapons are you fighting where you'd need to turn so much in a direct confrontation? When your opponent stops firing at your brella shield, that's your cue to flee, retaliate, or shuffle your positions. It takes a bit of reflex, but seeing dualies try to dodge around or a shooter stopping to swim around me is a relief, since it lets me let up my shield and put myself in a better, low-pressure situation. Anything they do that makes them stop hammering your shield: take that opportunity instead of trying to continue blocking them. (Unless you have allies around who can take advantage, of course. This is assuming a direct confrontation.)

You may also already know this: but in the time between you firing a shot and the brella opening, you can quickly whip around your camera so your brella opens wherever you wish. It's great if your sensitivity isn't very low, and greater with motion controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom