• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Calamari Cup Tournament: Extra Hot Mix! | Sunday 8th November

Calamari Cup

Inkling

We're back! But this time..

Hey everybody, and welcome to the 2nd Calamari Cup! It's been a while since the last one, so you may not have heard about this tourney yet. Our previous one finished with a bang as TSB took the Grand Finals against Squid Squad Spades. The tourney was a smooth ride through and through & one of the first attempts at using Discord to host a tourney. It went off without a hitch, although it lasted two days. In this tourney, we're going to increase the scale but also cut down on time - which means this will be a 1 day event.

Just a note: Rainmaker will be featured in this tourney, and it will be prevalent

Handy Links:

Discord Server

Challonge Bracket
Team Spreadsheet
Map/ Mode Slideshow
Map/ Mode List
Seeding

Keywords:

Just so people don't get confused

Set: A Bo5 or Bo7 set of games between 2 teams
Game: Individual games in a set
Team: A sub-group of a squad. e.g The squad GT is made up of 2 teams - GT1 and GT2

Info & Ruleset:

Without further ado - here is everything you need to know - Sign ups will be at the bottom!

* The tourney will cap at out 24 teams
* Teams consist of 3-7 players
* Only 2 teams from a single squad may register
* Teams must designate a leader who will communicate with the TO's and organize matches with other leaders

* Only a single substitution may be made per set
* You may perform a second substitution ONLY if you swap out a player receiving connection errors (with proof)

The tournament will consist of two stages: a group stage and a knock-out stage.

Group stage:

* The 24 teams will be randomly placed in poules of 6
* Every team plays one match against the other teams in the group
* All group stage matches are best of 5
* After all the teams in one group have played their matches (5 sets), the top 3 of that group move on to the knock-out stage
* If two teams are tied, the winner is decided by who won their mutual match

Knock-out stage:
* The knock-out stage is single elimination, there's no losers or winners bracket
* Knock-out stage matches are also best of 5, though the finals are best of 7
* In the first match of Knockouts, teams who got number 2 in their group will be matched with a number 3 from another group
* Teams that placed #1 in their group get a by for the first stage of knockouts

* The maps and modes will be pre-decided for each round and must be played in that exact order
* The modes we'll be using in this tourney are Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker
* The map and mode-list for each round is applicable to all poule matches and knock-out matches
* Map/Mode list here

For this tournament team leaders and TOs will communicate with each other to report scores, set up matches, etc. with the use of the Discord web app. It's a web app that's free, comes with servers and channels and it's pretty easy to use too, it doesn't require any installation either. Team leaders are expected to have a (temporary) account on Discord, as well as an understanding of how to use it.

* For this tournament, we'll be using the Calamari Cup Discord server for all communication

* Team leaders have to check in to the check-in channel between 16:30 and 17:20 CET (10:30 and 11:20 ET) or their team will get disqualified
* Match results are to be posted in the results channel
* There's a general chat for conversations and discussions, so please don't get off topic in the results and check-in channels

For the team leaders' convenience there'll also be handy links that can be found at the top of general chat

This may get a bit complex - so bear with us

* A team may only reset one game in a set due to a DC. If a second DC happens by the same team, the match is played on

* A team that has a member that DCs can sub out their DC'd player - and also bump them up to 2 substitutions per set
* You must provide proof of a DC (Screenshots using a cellphone will do - there's a discord phone app for convenience)
* If a player DCs during the last minute +overtime - the match is played on. The team still gets their sub limit bumped up to 2 in this case
* When a match is replayed - players from both teams must use the exact same weapons as last game. If the DC'd player decides to sub out, the player substituting in may pick any weapon of their choice
* If you have any qualms with the rule - PM feedback to @Demiose or in the feedback thread after the tourney

The tourney will begin 8th November at 17:00 CET (11:00 ET) with the group stage. As mentioned before, team leaders have to check in in Discord channel before 17:20 CET.

All group stage matches are to be finished by 20:00 CET , which means everyone has 3 hours to finish all their 5 matches. Any teams that haven't finished their matches by 20:00 CET will get a loss for every match they've not finished.

The knock-out stage will begin a couple of minutes later. Each knockout stage should be completed within around 30 minutes.

We'll be seeding groups in the tourney using BestTeaMaker's squad ranking spreadsheet. Hopefully most people are in favour of this as it will allow teams to face off against other which are similar in skill level and help develop teams in this way. if anybody has any issues with seeding they can send their feedback to @Demiose Here is the seeding list, which also shows how teams will be arranged into groups

Winner's Card for First Place!

- Challonge invites will no longer be sent out unless another team has a no-show -

Any questions or suggestions? Please contact the @Demiose here or on the Discord!

Thank you to the other TO's! (@Blast , @Burritoburger, @Dne1494, @XenoPixel + @Demiose )

Thanks for signing up and good luck in advance, everyone ^^
TEAMS SIGNED UP: 24/24

BACK UP TEAMS SIGNED UP: 3

Art by @Demiose

Last edited:

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
Hey, we're finally back again! If anyone signs up, it would be a real help if you could comment here to notify us quickly.

EDIT: OP is All fixed now -

Well that's really all I wanted to touch on. I look forward to you all joining us!

Last edited:

Njok

Bouncer
@Demiose you need to set your clock back an hour, we are in CET again :P

Also we will sign up as soon as I know our current roster. Looks great!

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
The post says the team cap is 24, while I the victors card says "32 teams". Which is it?

EDIT: just read second post lol

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
@Demiose you need to set your clock back an hour, we are in CET again :p

Also we will sign up as soon as I know our current roster. Looks great!
Ah whoops. Summer time always confuses me since I don't live in an area where we change our clocks. I'll get to it as soon as I get a response from an admin

The post says the team cap is 24, while I the victors card says "32 teams". Which is it?

EDIT: just read second post lol
It's 24 teams, hehe. I'll get to fixing it soon

EDIT: Alright, should all be correct now! I'll get into the habit of triple checking my posts in the future

Last edited:

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
Hey, so we got 4 signups so far, which Is at least 1/6 of the spaces taken :p

Just like with the other's, ill be sending @MintChipper a PM with the challonge link soonish, so keep an eye out for that

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
Thanks to the teams that signed up! That makes it a total of 6 so far

But honestly I love cushions.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
I think I'll just sign one team of my Squad(by the end of the week, I have to get confirmation of the members), but If I'm able to put two teams, do we have to sign up two times? Or how can I do that?

Demiose

Inky Surprise
NNID
iEndzone
I think I'll just sign one team of my Squad(by the end of the week, I have to get confirmation of the members), but If I'm able to put two teams, do we have to sign up two times? Or how can I do that?
If you're gonna sign two teams, just go through the application form twice! You can have the same captain for both teams, but the players can only play for a single team - although i'd advise having different captains for each as it might get difficult to manage 2x the matches

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
If you're gonna sign two teams, just go through the application form twice! You can have the same captain for both teams, but the players can only play for a single team - although i'd advise having different captains for each as it might get difficult to manage 2x the matches
Thanks a lot for the fast reply, yup, I was thinking the same thing, I have the other 2 squad founders, probably one of them will be the cap If we manage to sign two teams, but that's unlikely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom