• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Callie and Marie Amiibos are a joke.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee

Released today in Japan, so I picked them up straight after work.
I watched the video. if you've seen it, you noticed that touching them on the gamepad opens a menu where you can select songs for them to perform in Inkopolis. The color scheme goes to night, Splatfest style, and your selected amiibo busts out aidoru-ific dance moves.
Immediately upon touching them onto my gamepad, I gasped. My heart sunk. Is this real? is this all?
If you're waiting to see for yourself when you buy it, don't open the following spoiler.
they do what they did in the trailer. nothing more and nothing less. no gear, no night time skins for online matches. When they are performing, it says "Look at the TV" on your gamepad and you cannot select the usual options for Inkopolis, go into shops, lobbies, etc. You have to return to the song select screen. That's it. Listen to the songs.

Honestly, the figures are neat but I was at least expecting some surprises. I'm not sure if this is already known info out there so apologies if this just comes off as an ignorant rant.

OH WELL.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Heard this too today and immediately canceled my pre-order. What's stopping me from listening to the songs on YouTube? Amiibos were never too useful, but this is just a scam. They could give us anything with so little effort. A simple hat or shirt. A simple weapon or gear recolor. Any recycled trash of ditched concepts for god's sake. But literlaly just songs?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
The first three were not useful and definitely not worth the money. But if you like the clothes and the weapons, as well as wanted a variety in mini-games during waiting in the lobby, they definitely had their use. Callie and Marie however managed to beat Smash Bros amiibos in how worthless they are in-game. I can literally listen to the songs for free, comfortably on my computer. Unless you actually collect amiibos or save them to sell them to collectors, this is one of the most useless things I ever saw people buying.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Callie and Marie however managed to beat Smash Bros amiibos in how worthless they are in-game.
Engaging in hyperbole doesn't make you look good. You can dislike the Smash amiibos all you like, they were still more functional. And people buy useless things constantly.

Either way, I'm getting the squid sister amiibos because I want figures of the squid sisters. In that regard, their price is fairly reasonable. It's kind of a fact that more people than not buy amiibo for the figure and ignore any possible functionality. Besides, who's to say they won't have some additional use in the inevitable Splat2n that people never, ever stop talking about?

MelonBread

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MelonPann
yeah, their amiibo functionalities are pretty disapponting overall, was hoping for night time battles, but you can't even leave the plaza when you pick a song. not to mention i've heard most of their songs a billion times already. maybe nintendo will listen to us and update them? ... probably not ;_;
however, judging by pictures people have taken the amiibo quality seems really good, so i'm still picking these up along with the dioramas.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Engaging in hyperbole doesn't make you look good. You can dislike the Smash amiibos all you like, they were still more functional. And people buy useless things constantly.

Either way, I'm getting the squid sister amiibos because I want figures of the squid sisters. In that regard, their price is fairly reasonable. It's kind of a fact that more people than not buy amiibo for the figure and ignore any possible functionality. Besides, who's to say they won't have some additional use in the inevitable Splat2n that people never, ever stop talking about?
It's honestly not hyperbolical at all. I mean everything exactly how I say it. I see worthless content in those amiibos. I would literally refuse to buy either amiibo purely for their functionality even for a single €/$ (unless I could sell them for a higher price, of course). I honestly think that anybody not buying them for anything but the figurine is a dumb buyer and the reason companies get away with selling crap.
Smash Bros amiibos being more functional than the Callie/Marie amiibo is exactly what I said though. But they are both worthless with regard to functionality. I see in-game content to be half the rent, especially since some actually do have better uses. Wolf Link for example? Fantastic in-game functionality for BotW and even in TPHD, it's not terrible. Chibi-Robo, also great. But Callie/Marie are sold for the exact same price. Sure, they may look nicer to most people, but I do not see that making up for lacking half the rent.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
For functionality, absolutely, but the previous three were definitely miles above and beyond comparatively. A reasonable price tag for what you get. This is just otaku fandom bait.
Splatoon amiibo and to a lesser extent the Zelda amiibo (If you own both HW and TPHD) are the only amiibo that are arguably worth any money and I still don't think they are worth €15
€15 for the content of all three Splatoon amiibo combined would too much money already, but 15€ for a third of the full amiibo experience is outrageous but then again stilll miles better than the throwaway junk the other amiibo offer.

The sadness doesn't stop there.
Not only are amiibo extremely expensive (Not taking into account the scalpers even), Wii GAMES and through Nintendo Selects, 3DS and even WIIU GAMES are being sold for €20.
Full games are being sold for the price of the glorified DLC.

Not just any game, but Super Mario Galaxy, A Link Between Worlds, Tropical Freeze, Ocarina of Time and probably a lot of classics I'm forgetting are being sold for the same price as a figurine that unlocks something you can watch on motherinking Youtube for free.
Games with content you can spend a lot of time in, full experiences, games praised and that are the best in their genre.
For the same price as your waifu statue.

And it goes even further.
Retro games are sold at an even cheaper price.
I bet that you can get half of the Legend of Zelda series for the price of your Toon Link amiibo. (Currently €40 where I live)
That's a lot of hours you can spend sidequesting but instead people wanna buy an instant arrow refiller that anyone in their right mind would sell for less than €2

Wolf Link is the only one worth its price (Five euro statue, seven euro dungeon, two euro doggo in BoTW and one dollar 3-star weapons in HWLegends + things like costumes in other games), but only if you plan on getting BoTW along with TPHD (HW Legends if you like Midna)

This is what amiibo are made for.
The main game gives a good functionality already, but other games in the series give even more worthwhile functionality so the amiibo turns into a season's pass of everything extra in the series.

This would be fine with costumes and trivial stuff as well, but you'd need ten to fifteen costumes to make up for its price.

A reasonable price for those amiibo would be 5-7€/$
Five dollars for the statue itself and two dollars to zero dollars for the extra functionality they give.

I don't own any amiibo and I'm proud of that.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It's honestly not hyperbolical at all. I mean everything exactly how I say it. I see worthless content in those amiibos. I would literally refuse to buy either amiibo purely for their functionality even for a single €/$ (unless I could sell them for a higher price, of course). I honestly think that anybody not buying them for anything but the figurine is a dumb buyer and the reason companies get away with selling crap.
Smash Bros amiibos being more functional than the Callie/Marie amiibo is exactly what I said though. But they are both worthless with regard to functionality. I see in-game content to be half the rent, especially since some actually do have better uses. Wolf Link for example? Fantastic in-game functionality for BotW and even in TPHD, it's not terrible. Chibi-Robo, also great. But Callie/Marie are sold for the exact same price. Sure, they may look nicer to most people, but I do not see that making up for lacking half the rent.
If you actually make it so that amiibos give significant extras, people will actually be mad(and deservingly so) because you now have limited, highly expensive dlc for your game. Can you imagine only being able to play as Mewtwo in SSB4 if you got a Mewtwo amiibo?
Amiibos are just merch with a small bit of exclusive content incorporated, and buying it solely for the dlc is a bit of a waste of money if you ask me. If you want actual extra content, go buy actual dlc.

Finally, don't patronize people who just buy merch to give a little bit of extra support to the series they like. That's not cool.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
@WeirdChillFever Wowzer umm. I mean I can't argue with that logic. I guess some people want to fap to Marie dancing to Shiokarabushi whenever they want as badly as I wanted the schoolgirl uniform for my squid, but I think the gear has enough utility to justify the cost plus the statue (IMO). I get your comparison to buying full games for the price of a relatively small amount of content, but I've gotten a ton of use and mileage out of the amiibo exclusive gear. Enough to be satisfied. Your stance makes perfect sense though. It's all subjective, although I think there's got to be a limit that was crossed with these new ones.

However, @Dessgeega 's suggestion about Spla2n functionality hadn't crossed my mind until now. That's a cool thing to hold out for.

edit:
If you actually make it so that amiibos give significant extras, people will actually be mad(and deservingly so)
Hehe yeah, honestly all I really wanted was solo missions with Callie and Marie playable and some idol-esque gear. I definitely definitely agree with this statement though. I hope I didn't come across as buying the amiibos only for the DLC in my original post. I do like Callie and Marie a lot, and like having the figurines, so I guess my topic title is slightly dishonest. I was just a bit miffed at having literally nothing to *do* with them once I got them... I can kill an afternoon doing solo missions on the other amiibos, you know? I got them, came home, tapped them, watched them dance for a few minutes and was like "well... I guess on the shelf you go." :/

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
If you actually make it so that amiibos give significant extras, people will actually be mad(and deservingly so) because you now have limited, highly expensive dlc for your game. Can you imagine only being able to play as Mewtwo in SSB4 if you got a Mewtwo amiibo?
Amiibos are just merch with a small bit of exclusive content incorporated, and buying it solely for the dlc is a bit of a waste of money if you ask me. If you want actual extra content, go buy actual dlc.

Finally, don't patronize people who just buy merch to give a little bit of extra support to the series they like. That's not cool.
Then just buy the merch of five dollars if that's your goal.
There's also content in between full DLC character and CPU functionality.
If the Mewtwo amiibo would unlock:

1) The Figure Player function
2) A few palette swaps
3) A brand new costume (like Link has Fierce Deity)
4) Maybe a Mii costume

Then the balance between paywall and plastic do-little is struck just right.

@WeirdChillFever Wowzer umm. I mean I can't argue with that logic. I guess some people want to fap to Marie dancing to Shiokarabushi whenever they want as badly as I wanted the schoolgirl uniform for my squid, but I think the gear has enough utility to justify the cost plus the statue (IMO). I get your comparison to buying full games for the price of a relatively small amount of content, but I've gotten a ton of use and mileage out of the amiibo exclusive gear. Enough to be satisfied. Your stance makes perfect sense though. It's all subjective, although I think there's got to be a limit that was crossed with these new ones.

However, @Dessgeega 's suggestion about Spla2n functionality hadn't crossed my mind until now. That's a cool thing to hold out for.
Sorry, I just went full hipster debater there haha.
So yeah, if you think you get enough mileage out of it it's a good buy right?
I think the content is too split (If I could get the Squid Challenges, the School Girl Uniform, Squid Beatz and the Hero Roller from one boy amiibo I'd buy it in a heartbeat) but now I have to choose.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Can you use the extra music for splatfest at all or is it literally just a glorified music sound test?

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i can't really sympathize. we were told they'd allow us to listen/watch the songs, and nothing else? if you're disappointed because of your own fabricated expectations, that's your fault.

i want them just because i want the figures. that's all, and that's worth it to me. but you can't be angry for buying something, despite being told it wouldn't meet your expectations, and being upset it doesn't meet your expectations.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel

There is an unbelievable gap between offering as good as nothing and offering something game-changing. There is so much room inbetween. Mere costumes and recolors, like the original amiibos provided them, are plenty. That's all you need. Not wanting to go over the top does not justify staying way behind even for pathetically low standards.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
The amiibo functionality for FE: Fates is pretty decent, you recruit the character of the amiibo.
Getting one of the DLC maps for free on top of that might make them worth their money without paywalling people (because you can also buy the DLC seperately)

With Smash, add three recolors and an original costume (Peach amiibo gives Daisy, Bowser gives Dry Bowser, Pac-Man gives Ms. Pac-Man, Toon Link gives Pyjamas) and it's worth the price.
People that don't like the characters at all wouldn't suddenly want to buy these costumes so people don't feel paywalled.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
I don't think these Amiibos are a joke.

Nintendo didn't over-hype these amiibos in any way. They told us upfront what we getting. It was the community who was hyping up the amiibos. The negativity in this thread is a result of fandom expectations, and their selfish desire to have their idols be elevated to a "respectable" level.

In a way, this thread is just started because someone wanted to rant. Which I can't really can't argue against. You have every right to express your self. So don't come complaining to me when I start ranting.

In all honesty, to say the "Callie and Marie Amiibos are a joke" is the result of selfish consumer biased. As a creator Nintendo did nothing wrong, but the consumer, feeling betrayed by their expectations, feel like they are justified to attack. They are not. They are ignorant, biased, and have no idea what it's like to create.

So here we are. You declared an act of war, against the company called "Nintendo", expecting your fellow consumers to rally with you. "But all is fair in Love in War." Don't be surprise if you fellow consumers betrays you. Because some of us can recognize an unprovoked attack, and there's a select few of us who will cut down those who use this ignorant rallying cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom