• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Can anyone point me towards a mixer?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nintendo has those official headphones that everyone rightly calls a mess, but I'm just interested in the mixer; Running a line between my speakers and my phone/desktop will let me play without bugging my roomies and won't be intrusive with my gaming set-up. I'd be very appreciative if someone could point me to a product that serves the same function as the Splatoon mixer without my having to buy headphones I won't use. Thanks for your time!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
If you're keeping it simple rather than fancy, there should be a good selection between $35~$50.

How are you connecting your speakers? A normal 3.5 plug in, 1/4 plug, or something else? And do you plan on using a mic, headset, or using either? Do you want it self powered, usb powered, outlet, etc.?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I just have headphones with a normal 3.5mm plug and talk via the mic on either my computer or my phone. I've got no power preference because all those options are right next to each other. I tried a splitter like this one but it failed to transfer sound from more than one source.
index2222.jpg

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
As stupid as it sounds... Looks like the Hori head set is A steal unless you wanted to record the voice chat. (I have a better solution for that also)

Computer to switch and using Discord?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
As stupid as it sounds... Looks like the Hori head set is A steal unless you wanted to record the voice chat. (I have a better solution for that also)

Computer to switch and using Discord?
You are correct, that's my set-up. I'll look into the headset for the moment.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
I might have a solution for you.
But first let me explain why that cable you linked didn't work.

That cable is making a desktop so you can use a head phones like the Hori or a standard 3.5 mm set for a cellphone.

Next I have a diagram here on how to set up A dual audio input
So get a 3.5 mm cable that people use in cars to get audio from your Switch to your Computer's line in Audio port.

On your computer turn on Monitoring for your Line in and Adjust the volume accordingly. Log into Discord and it should be good.
If you have troubles I will try this set up when I get home on my desktop if you need help just message me

20170722_121644.jpg

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I might have a solution for you.
But first let me explain why that cable you linked didn't work.

That cable is making a desktop so you can use a head phones like the Hori or a standard 3.5 mm set for a cellphone.

Next I have a diagram here on how to set up A dual audio input
So get a 3.5 mm cable that people use in cars to get audio from your Switch to your Computer's line in Audio port.

On your computer turn on Monitoring for your Line in and Adjust the volume accordingly. Log into Discord and it should be good.
If you have troubles I will try this set up when I get home on my desktop if you need help just message me

View attachment 5179
I'll have to try that, thanks!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
What I use in my set up is that I plug my switch into the Line In jack on the back of my computer, and then plug my headphones into the computer itself. I just use a splitter if I am on the go though.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm still curious about the Hori headset, and waiting for reviews. But still not sure if I want it. Even for a cheap mobile mixer. Though I rather like the fact that the Switch's audio jack can even be used while it's docked. Headset will obviously likely be lousy.

I've used the same Aux/Line In method for both my PC and audio interface—haven't tried the laptop yet—but the Switch's audio has been less than optimal for me. A lot of noise or interference. I may have to pick up one of those little ground loop isolators thingamabobs to deal with that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've used the same Aux/Line In method for both my PC and audio interface—haven't tried the laptop yet—but the Switch's audio has been less than optimal for me. A lot of noise or interference. I may have to pick up one of those little ground loop isolators thingamabobs to deal with that.
Following the advice in this thread, I got a male-to-male 35.mm aux cable and connected my PC and monitor speakers. It does work, but as you said Ansible, there's a lot of interference. I'll have to get one of those "thingamabobs" as well.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
Following the advice in this thread, I got a male-to-male 35.mm aux cable and connected my PC and monitor speakers. It does work, but as you said Ansible, there's a lot of interference. I'll have to get one of those "thingamabobs" as well.
Dose your TV or Monitor have a line out?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I'm still curious about the Hori headset, and waiting for reviews. But still not sure if I want it. Even for a cheap mobile mixer. Though I rather like the fact that the Switch's audio jack can even be used while it's docked. Headset will obviously likely be lousy.

Yeah, you guys need a ground loop noise isolator to make the static go away. Good news is that most of them are fairly inexpensive.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yeah, you guys need a ground loop noise isolator to make the static go away. Good news is that most of them are fairly inexpensive.
Got one on Amazon for 9 bucks, if it works for me I'll post it here for other's convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom