• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Can someone give me a good reason why Bamboo MK III has heavy depletion?

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
The game designers made some good choices when they introduced special depletion (I say "some" because things like Custom Hydra should've been given heavy depletion, because of how bloody good it is). They even changed some things around by giving things like vanilla Luna and Refurb light depletion after they realized those weapons weren't doing anything, while giving Zimi heavy depletion, the latter of which was practically a godsend. But... Bamboo Mk III has had heavy depletion since the weapon came out, but it's not overpowered in any sense of the word. Like, actually.

Like, so what if this thing has Burst Bombs? They help it kill, yes, but Bamboo already kills incredibly quickly with a full charge/tap shot, or vice versa. All Burst Bombs do is give it more consistency because it's a charger and unless you're a charger god, you're going to miss your shots and be useless. You can main Burst Bombs on the thing, but so can E-Liter. But that weapon has more range than Bamboo, it paints the ground with a thicker line, AND it has Echo. If we're looking at it in comparison to MK III, it has less range, it still sucks at painting despite its kit, and then... yes. It has Inkstrike. Both of these weapons have their own problems, but considering everything E-Liter brings to the table in comparison to MK III, E-Liter is the far superior weapon. And don't even debate me on Inkstrike sometimes being more useful than Echo; it's never true and I'm not having it.

But that aside, Bamboo MK III is still a Bamboozler. It still has a problem where it can't paint and it can't get it's special, and when it does, it gets zero rewards from it. Then when it dies, you get so majorly set back that you have to paint the fricken Mona Lisa to get your special back, which will probably do nothing because it's an Inkstrike (I know Splat Zones/Rainmaker exist, but... still).\

Like, most weapons with Heavy Depletion aren't overly affected by it; it usually just means that if, for example, a Tentatek or whatever the **** dies, it gets punished harder for its mistakes. But in Tentatek's case, it's still a Tentatek that can get back into the game relatively easily so long as it's not locked out, it's still very useful to the team no matter what situation it finds itself in, and it paints well enough to mask its **** up (in losing its Inkzooka). Luna Neo is another weapon that's hurt by Heavy Depletion, too, because it's a trading weapon by definition and as such it's going to find itself dying a lot (which matters because Splat Bomb Rush is really it's only way of taking back map control). But Bamboo MK III is a whole 'nother story. With Bamboo MK III, not only are your mistakes punished harder than most (if not every) weapon in the game, because it's a charger and has to take a safe defensive position that it can't really afford to lose, otherwise your team is down one defender, but in addition, it has to get way the **** back up to where its special gauge was before it died. And that's going to be difficult because 1) it's bad at painting, 2) in general, it becomes harder to build special when the map has less uninked ground on it (because your special actually charges faster if you're inking uninked turf than it does if said turf is already inked), and 3) it still has to fight people off, too, so it, as an unreliable killing weapon, has to defend itself against every possibility to keep its special, and if it dies once, it loses everything it put its blood, sweat, and tears into building up. And for what? An Inkstrike? Come on, now.

That's the other thing: it has a Heavy Depletion Inkstrike. I mean, you look at Gold Dynamo Roller and you can kind of be like, "Yeah, I get it". But on something like a Bamboo? Really? Considering that it's a Bamboo, and you're giving it Inkstrike as opposed to like... Bubbler, maybe, it doesn't even make much sense; it hard loses progress towards a special that probably won't even make much of an impact. It'll pop a Rainmaker shield and maybe stop a zone's counter, but that's about it. Then it's gone. It's done it's thing, and in so doing, it hasn't done ****.

So, like. Seriously; why in ****s name does this thing have Heavy Depletion. I understand the mentality behind why they gave Heavy Depletion to every other weapon they did (though I fail to comprehend why things like CRB and Custom Hydra don't), but not this one. At the end of the day, it's still a Bamboo, it still can't paint, it's unreliable because it's a charger, it has to stack damage up to be remotely good, its special does nothing for it, and Burst Bombs don't even help it that much. As such, it should really have Light Depletion; honestly, nothing would change.

If anyone has a good guess as to why they gave Bamboo MK III Heavy Depletion, and haven't changed it yet, or can see the game designer's mentality behind it, please educate me, because I'd honestly like to understand why.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I use it, and I have to greatly adjust with savers and such to keep the maintenance of it running dry while I am on the course. What I see, and the problem with it; don't use it to kill people. Yeah, that is how I treat it. I go to just agitate the other side by shooting them off their platforms while gunning from below, or above them. I also use it for path making, just like any other charger out there.

It is a weird, very weird combo that makes the weapon pretty tasking and not to mention challenging, so a beginner would really become frustrated with the weapon's cons over positive outputs.

So what do I think why, and how come it has heavy depletion. In my theory, the gun is weak and meant to annoy people. Not attack. You're goal is to be a annoyance and run off. So defense has to be considered more which I think instead of offense, and that is why it is armed with a inkstrike. To run off, and fine somewhere else to come back.

Though giving that as a back up special is REALLY a risk since you are handling a weapon that recovers badly from such, and you have to splat bomb away if you are in trouble. I get surrounded REAL easily because the chaining the shots isn't spread out real well at all.

But anyway, your guess is as good as mine...

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I think they thought the weapon was going to be devastating at first and after it was released I can't say much other then maybe they forgot? Lol.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bamboozlers(or any charger) requires a lot of aim and practice, so most don't bother when they can play an automatic, shot deviating shooter that can fulfill a similar role/playstyle.

As for heavy depletion? The sub+main combo is very strong. The main is already deadly by itself in the right hands and the sub adds pressure and allows for really janky splats.
One example: Hitting someone with a full charge, they panic behind the nearest cover and you finsh them with an indirect burst bomb.

So heavy depletion makes sense, to me at least.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
Oh boy, another post tearing apart the Bamboozler (and for what reason I don't understand). The weapon charges, yes. It is a charger, yes. The Bamboozler is by no means a sniper. "It can't ink," I disagree, the weapon is actually fairly alright at inking ground. The main problem with Bamboozler is that it's Ink inefficient (despite receiving a buff to make it more efficient). However, there are abilities in the game to help counteract it's inefficiencies. Although the issue with its inking comes from the fact you can't ink much while fighting someone (which with proper spacing shouldn't be a massive issue most of the time anyway).

If you use Bamboozler like a sniper, have fun, it's gonna suck, badly. Treat it like a mid-range semi-defensive shooter and suddenly you might have a better time with the weapon. It required a completely different mentality than an eliter to use, but to assume that they require the same just because they charge is... just wrong.

The burst bomb compliments that weapon very nicely actually if you throw the burst bomb first and follow up with a partial charge.
Regardless of how nice this combo is though, I think Nintendo probably thought it would be too powerful a combo. Don't get me wrong, it's a strong combo, but they were probably thinking it was going to be such a strong combo that they basically had to make its special non-existent to fix that.

It didn't do a very good job.
So pushing aside the whole ****ting on Bamboo even though it's an absolutely competitively viable weapon, no, I cannot fathom for one second why it has Heavy Depletion on Ink strike when MK II has Light Depletion on Echo.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Oh boy, another post tearing apart the Bamboozler (and for what reason I don't understand). The weapon charges, yes. It is a charger, yes. The Bamboozler is by no means a sniper. "It can't ink," I disagree, the weapon is actually fairly alright at inking ground. The main problem with Bamboozler is that it's Ink inefficient (despite receiving a buff to make it more efficient). However, there are abilities in the game to help counteract it's inefficiencies. Although the issue with its inking comes from the fact you can't ink much while fighting someone (which with proper spacing shouldn't be a massive issue most of the time anyway).

If you use Bamboozler like a sniper, have fun, it's gonna suck, badly. Treat it like a mid-range semi-defensive shooter and suddenly you might have a better time with the weapon. It required a completely different mentality than an eliter to use, but to assume that they require the same just because they charge is... just wrong.

The burst bomb compliments that weapon very nicely actually if you throw the burst bomb first and follow up with a partial charge.
Regardless of how nice this combo is though, I think Nintendo probably thought it would be too powerful a combo. Don't get me wrong, it's a strong combo, but they were probably thinking it was going to be such a strong combo that they basically had to make its special non-existent to fix that.

It didn't do a very good job.
So pushing aside the whole ****ting on Bamboo even though it's an absolutely competitively viable weapon, no, I cannot fathom for one second why it has Heavy Depletion on Ink strike when MK II has Light Depletion on Echo.
You can also say this weapon works like an automatic rifle. That means you can shoot WAY more at a further range, and greatly take out someone who has a splatter, and so forth. That is why I love the quirks, it is a refreshing weapon from your standard regular shooter, charger, and the works. That is why it is one of my mains, ha.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
The only thing I find threating about this weapon is the burst combo with damage up. Because every bamboo main ever stacks damage to the ceiling, and the maximum damage they get off a full charge is 99.9, so after hitting you with a charge, a mark 3 just throws the burst bomb somewhere near you and you're dead. Still though a tap shot with no charge reaches the same range as a charged shot, making it easy to follow up with. Still though, the burst cancel is overshadowed by weapons like the grim and the vanilla slosher, which are somewhat flexible in their right. Bamboo forces you to stand in place and aim precisely. Not to convenient if you ask me.

As for the heavy depletion, that's ridulous. Inkstrike barely offers that much to even qualify for heavy depletion. What does it do? All it does is cover a small portion of the map you selected, which is easy to turf over, and usually is outclassed by other zoning specials like Killer Wail or Bomb Rush. Heck, bomb rush out covers an Inkstrike most of the time.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
The only thing I find threating about this weapon is the burst combo with damage up. Because every bamboo main ever stacks damage to the ceiling, and the maximum damage they get off a full charge is 99.9, so after hitting you with a charge, a mark 3 just throws the burst bomb somewhere near you and you're dead. Still though a tap shot with no charge reaches the same range as a charged shot, making it easy to follow up with. Still though, the burst cancel is overshadowed by weapons like the grim and the vanilla slosher, which are somewhat flexible in their right. Bamboo forces you to stand in place and aim precisely. Not to convenient if you ask me.

As for the heavy depletion, that's ridulous. Inkstrike barely offers that much to even qualify for heavy depletion. What does it do? All it does is cover a small portion of the map you selected, which is easy to turf over, and usually is outclassed by other zoning specials like Killer Wail or Bomb Rush. Heck, bomb rush out covers an Inkstrike most of the time.
Actually not every Bamboo main goes for the 99.9 damage hit. Me and quite a few people that can use the weapon, only use 1 Main and 4 Subs exactly of damage and only fire shots that charge halfway. Along with some run speed the weapon is fairly mobile while shooting. What Bamboo does have over Slosher and Grim is that it outranges both of them. Spacing is important with the weapon and if you can't maintain proper spacing then that's on you, not the weapon.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
IMO, Nintendo hugely overestimated the burst bomb on this one.
They found it strong on other weapons so thought that it must be really strong on an 'shooter-charger hybrid' (yea, i'm bad at explaining the weapons place)
Its tricky but great on it but sill, not as great as most other weapons using it.

I mean, i can understand ink strike, especially since the main weapon itself is powerful in the right hands and actually inks surprisingly well.
But giving heavy depletion with it too?
Either, they should lower the depletion penalty or gave it another special.
(not that ink-strike is 'bad', but it doesn't really fit with the weapon from my experience)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom