• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

(Carbon) rollers tips.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
So i never got into rollers in splatoon 1.
But i decided to use them now in splatoon and starting to get really interested them.
Here's a summary of my approach.

More specifically, i'm mostly using the carbon roller, it has the shortest range and power of any roller but its very fast, low ink consumption and still splats in 1 hit up close.
Usually i'm running a more supportive/laid back approach spatting unaware enemy's or using my mobilty/terrain to close the gap and splat quick.
In a more offensive take, i sneak up on enemy's (climbing walls, hiding behind cover, attack from above/below, hide in lone ink...)
In certain situations, i 2-shot with the vertical flip, especially if there's a vertical difference between mine and the enemy position.
One more thing, i'm much more tempted to 1-shot with the vertical flick as it has a surprisingly high insta splat hit box, whereas the horizontal flick as a rather low insta splat hit box and not sure-fire from my experience.
So i'd rather use the vertical flick unless i'm in certain situations like attacking after climbing a wall or clearing the tower.
I usually have good results with this approach.

But i'm still getting started so if you have an tips or critique, i appreciate it.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Im experienced with the carbon from splat 1, taking strides learning the new kit in Splat 2. Here is one important thing I learned...

Use your sub weapon.

Yes, that clockwork bomb, make use of it! Its very good at distracting enemies and allowing you to go in for the splat. Carbon is the weakest roller as you know, and in most cases, taking a enemy head on is fatal. Using your sub in some situations can help create a more favorable situation to go in for the splat. It's also good for checking enemy ink for enemies- as it will even detect enemies hidding within ink. Toss one or two out if your unsure if a area is safe.

Your use of flicks seems decent, so not much to say on that. But do keep in mind that vertical flicks are slower than horizontal flicks.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Well, i forget to write down Special/sub use.
But i mostly use it for what you said scouting purposes, both were i'm or my team is going.
Though also to chase away campers and if the situation allows it, form a team with my bot and splat the distracted squid.
(though i still need to practice with this distracting tactic)
i must admit though i sometimes get too spammy with them which usually leads to stalling or out of ink situations.
On the other hand, i sometimes forget i have them.

I actually didn't notice a noticeable difference between horizontal and vertical flick, but its there i see now,n thanks for mentioning that.

My main concern now is making use of the ink rain special.
In TC or splat zones, i usually throw it so it rains on the zone(s) or rain on the path where the tower is going, which both work pretty well.
But in turf or rainmaker, i'm usually more at a loss on how to use it.
I mostly throw them at choke points or help with a push but feel like i'm not using them to their full extend?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
But i mostly use it for what you said scouting purposes, both were i'm or my team is going.
Though also to chase away campers and if the situation allows it, form a team with my bot and splat the distracted squid.
(though i still need to practice with this distracting tactic)
Mhm, your using them right then.

i must admit though i sometimes get too spammy with them which usually leads to stalling or out of ink situations.
Yeah- don't do this. I see other Carbon users do it- its notorious on Musselforge Fitness and I see it ALL the time on the middle area of that map. Your just helping to make yourself a sitting duck, and wasting your time rather than inking turf or doing the main Ranked Mode objective. I limit myself to tossing 2 at a time at most, then rely on my main weapon.

I actually didn't notice a noticeable difference between horizontal and vertical flick, but its there i see now,n thanks for mentioning that.
It can be hard to tell with carbon- I even forgot about this when using my Dynamo..which is especially important for that weapon. So no sweat.

My main concern now is making use of the ink rain special.
In TC or splat zones, i usually throw it so it rains on the zone(s) or rain on the path where the tower is going, which both work pretty well.
But in turf or rainmaker, I'm usually more at a loss on how to use it.
I mostly throw them at choke points or help with a push but feel like I'm not using them to their full extend?
I'd say as long as your tossing it near enemy choke points in these other modes, your using it right. Using it around no enemies at all makes for a waste of potential. I'm still learning the in and outs of this special myself (Originally had to use the Inkzooka, big difference) but I think experimenting with it on different maps and seeing what areas it works best in on said maps will go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom