• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Charger hate?

D

Deleted Member

Why does there seem to be more hate for people who use chargers than any other weapon? Just as an example, someone who ironically went by the name "holamyfrens" deliberately tried to stand in front of me and block me from shooting/aiming, and we were on the same team!

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
People hate Chargers because the Charger user basically dictates whether or not you will be splatted. When in range of the Charger but out of range to use your weapons, the only thing you can do is run forward and hope he/she misses. Strafing and Jumping will ultimately make it harder for the Charger to hit you, but he/she is still in control. The Charger is definitely the weapon with the highest skill gap; for low level players, it's the worst weapon due to the fact you won't be hitting anyone, but for high level players, it's the best because you can basically become untouchable by splatting everyone before you are in their range.

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Ok I'm a fellow sniper at heart and when the brella came out my win rate PLUMMETED. The brella can block shots from a sniper and esially escape from you and take cover behind something. Sniping has become a whole heck of a lot harder. Brella = sniper's worst nightmare:(

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I think people hated being caught off guard and then suddenly getting scared at their squid spontaneously exploding.

But really, chargers take a lot of aiming skill to use right but people still saw it as a cheese weapon for some reason. Hence they(and rollers) have been nerfed to the ground in the sequel.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
I'm gonna take a guess and say it's because people get pissed when chargers kill them a lot. (Which I do pretty often :p)
I cant use them, but i wouldnt hate them or you because if you got them or you ;) in my team you are always nice to have.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Looking back on the first game, it was very easy to get extremely annoyed and salty towards chargers. As someone who used mainly short range weapons, it felt like chargers were rarely someone I could counter and defeat.

Now in Splatoon 2, I rarely feel annoyed when chargers are bearing down on me. It's much easier to counter and get close to them in 2, and the maps allow for more strategies to get around them. I get more frustrated with other weapons and strategies than chargers in this game honestly.

Makeshift

Inkster Jr.
NNID
rosesarered14
As a retired charger, I can say that most people hate them due to their range (they have pretty good range that not a lot of weapons can counter) and most of them can kill you in one hit.

Now that I'm not playing a sniper anymore, I definitely find them annoying because they seem much more frequent now. It also scares me when my inkling just suddenly explodes, but that's just me.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
People to my knowledge have grown to loathe the E-Liter to no end because in the first game the E-Liter had Burst Bombs as their sub and the Custom E-Liter had Kraken as Special. Also, back in 1 the E-Liter had even more range than everything by a large margin.

Nothing could challenge them to scare them off, and even if you got the jump on them, that was still a risk on its own because the E-Liter could defend themselves (or even go close quarters) really easily with Burst Bombs or pop their Kraken the instant you shot them, which made people even more upset with them :/

Maave

Inkling Commander
I still get annoyed at chargers, even though I play chargers a ton now. The main annoyance is me exploding out of the blue and then the kill cam going to some Eliter standing a mile away.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've seen much more hate for Blasters than Chargers. Even more specifically, the Luna Blaster.

In general, people really, really don't like snipers in video games. No fun to fight.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
People hate chargers because whenever you get splatted by one, we always think 'man, they're having a really easy time' but they say this because they haven't gained chargers. Chargers while yes the high range makes it fun; if someone comes up to you and tries to take you down then that's an immediate splat.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Why does there seem to be more hate for people who use chargers than any other weapon?
There is a "hate" for chargers for multiple reasons:
I've seen much more hate for Blasters than Chargers.
Yes there is a lot of blaster hate too, good thing I main both.

Firstly, they kill in one shot. This mechanic will literally have any casual player hate the game. And it's seen in pretty much every shooter game. As you will see level 5 noobs complain about the splat roller that rolled over them twice in one turf match. Or how the blaster got his direct by hitting you pixel perfect. Snipers are no exception to this rule, they prey on fools who have never played a shooter game, or players that are extremely unaware of something called "map awareness", or any awareness for that matter.

Second, a charger has a high skill floor. That means it takes actual skill and dedication to use this weapon. (Believe it or not they actually practice the weapon to get good at it) Which is something, that most players, unfortunately won't commit to. Most players seem to be decent with their splattershots, and then settle there. Which is fine if you're going for the casual experience. But you have no right to complain about a charger who put so much effort into their craft. They spent hours training their aim, messing with their sensitivity, and multiple losing games to achieve that status.

Third, they are seen as campers. Which is the most disgraceful, diabolical, and inhumane strategy for every 12 year old call of duty veteran to face. People who don't invest much time in the game are going to be frustrated when their same approach is countered by a charger who appreciates something called "high ground". And I hear those noobs out there "How come a charger can't charge into the frontlines? Especially with stored charge being a thing now." Now you see, there is this thing called range, and what a charger player does best is that they abuse it. If a charger didn't have range, then it would lose every gun fight against a shooter. Also, stored charge relies on the fact that your team has map control, which is something a sniper is lacking in, so don't expect any flanking E-Liters with stored charge.

Finally, they have a very high skill ceiling. Meaning that once someone is good with a charger, they are very capable of shutting down matches by themselves. As their weapon grants them to instakill anyone in line of sight, that is also in their range. Which is scary considering that pretty much every weapon has to enter a charger's ideal range before the opposing weapon gets into their ideal range.

All in all, chargers are a class that were very dominant in competitive play in splat 1, mostly due to their high skill ceiling, and trademark one shot, allowing those with a panic button special useless with one shot. And it proved true in casual play. However, as filthy casuals complained on multiple forums, including this one, that one shots are OP, chargers have been significantly nerfed in splatoon 2.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
There is a "hate" for chargers for multiple reasons:

Yes there is a lot of blaster hate too, good thing I main both.

Firstly, they kill in one shot. This mechanic will literally have any casual player hate the game. And it's seen in pretty much every shooter game. As you will see level 5 noobs complain about the splat roller that rolled over them twice in one turf match. Or how the blaster got his direct by hitting you pixel perfect. Snipers are no exception to this rule, they prey on fools who have never played a shooter game, or players that are extremely unaware of something called "map awareness", or any awareness for that matter.

Second, a charger has a high skill floor. That means it takes actual skill and dedication to use this weapon. (Believe it or not they actually practice the weapon to get good at it) Which is something, that most players, unfortunately won't commit to. Most players seem to be decent with their splattershots, and then settle there. Which is fine if you're going for the casual experience. But you have no right to complain about a charger who put so much effort into their craft. They spent hours training their aim, messing with their sensitivity, and multiple losing games to achieve that status.

Third, they are seen as campers. Which is the most disgraceful, diabolical, and inhumane strategy for every 12 year old call of duty veteran to face. People who don't invest much time in the game are going to be frustrated when their same approach is countered by a charger who appreciates something called "high ground". And I hear those noobs out there "How come a charger can't charge into the frontlines? Especially with stored charge being a thing now." Now you see, there is this thing called range, and what a charger player does best is that they abuse it. If a charger didn't have range, then it would lose every gun fight against a shooter. Also, stored charge relies on the fact that your team has map control, which is something a sniper is lacking in, so don't expect any flanking E-Liters with stored charge.

Finally, they have a very high skill ceiling. Meaning that once someone is good with a charger, they are very capable of shutting down matches by themselves. As their weapon grants them to instakill anyone in line of sight, that is also in their range. Which is scary considering that pretty much every weapon has to enter a charger's ideal range before the opposing weapon gets into their ideal range.

All in all, chargers are a class that were very dominant in competitive play in splat 1, mostly due to their high skill ceiling, and trademark one shot, allowing those with a panic button special useless with one shot. And it proved true in casual play. However, as filthy casuals complained on multiple forums, including this one, that one shots are OP, chargers have been significantly nerfed in splatoon 2.
This made me laugh so hard, and I have no idea why.
As a player looking to get into the competitive scene with the rest of my squad, as well as a fairly decent charger player (I haven't played them in a while though), I've never encountered that much (if any) charger hate.

Blasters? Yes.

Tri Slosher? Yeeeeeeees.

But never chargers.

More often I encounter newer players who think that chargers are terrible, and I have to say, "Sit down, and let me explain something to you...."

Now, as a roller main (yes, even the Dynamo), I just run a lot of swim speed and zip around the map, which not only makes me harder to hit, but also makes it easier to approach chargers

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
As a player looking to get into the competitive scene with the rest of my squad, as well as a fairly decent charger player (I haven't played them in a while though), I've never encountered that much (if any) charger hate.

Blasters? Yes.

Tri Slosher? Yeeeeeeees.

But never chargers.

More often I encounter newer players who think that chargers are terrible, and I have to say, "Sit down, and let me explain something to you...."

Now, as a roller main (yes, even the Dynamo), I just run a lot of swim speed and zip around the map, which not only makes me harder to hit, but also makes it easier to approach chargers
Were you around for the first game? E-liters were king of the meta. There's less charger hate now because Nintendo punched them in the gut and robbed them :P

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222

Blasters? Yes.

Tri Slosher? Yeeeeeeees.

But never chargers.

People to my knowledge have grown to loathe the E-Liter to no end because in the first game the E-Liter had Burst Bombs as their sub and the Custom E-Liter had Kraken as Special. Also, back in 1 the E-Liter had even more range than everything by a large margin.

Nothing could challenge them to scare them off, and even if you got the jump on them, that was still a risk on its own because the E-Liter could defend themselves (or even go close quarters) really easily with Burst Bombs or pop their Kraken the instant you shot them, which made people even more upset with them :/

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Unless you've been low key hiding under a rock all of splat 1, you know that E-Liter was extremely meta in competitive. It had excellent range, and two amazing kits. It virtually deleted any charger, hydra, or jet out to fight at range. Sure it was hard to use, but once mastered, E-liter was the most important opponent to face.

Then again, that was before the meta went into zombies mode with all the qr sj teams around, making charger picks somewhat useless.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I was here for S1, (I got it the day it came out) but I must've been living in a cardboard box or something because I never encountered any charger hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom