• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Chargers: Scoped or Unscoped?

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
This is a thread to talk about differences between scoped and unscoped chargers (obviously more than just the definition given to us by Sheldon). At first I thought there was no point in using unscoped chargers until the squiffer came out and I saw more people messing around with holding a charge. It was at that point I decided to use unscoped chargers and got really used to it and in general I prefer unscoped chargers.

However, recently I've taken into consideration the fact that I see a lot of people running splatterscopes and thinking about what situations this would be more beneficial for. I began to think about maps where the scope might be more beneficial, like if the map is difficult to control or navigate so there's little use in holding a charge. Maps that came to my mind were Snapper Canal and maybe Starfish Mainstage. I'm still confused on what would be a better fit.

For me it's tough to have to commit to shots using a scope (I know you can jump or not charge completely and restart) and I like being able to see everything to help me deal with flanks and such. I'm most likely going to just use unscoped chargers but really what I'm curious about is why people prefer scoped chargers.

Is there more to it than the extra distance? Are there perches in the game where you can reach choke points with a scope?

Last thing would be what differences in gear would you see between the two types if any?

I've been using the Custom E-Liter Unscoped and running swim speed up and sub power up. I see more people using the scope as opposed to the unscoped and wonder what it is.

desTroy

Inkling
NNID
desTroy
Switch Friend Code
SW-6275-1881-1805
Another point for unscoped, I like using the hold charge mechanic to aim without laser. I charge on my perch aiming at the ground, squid when full charge and use the greyed out reticle to aim and look around without having to wave around a giant laser pointer. It's surprisingly accurate just can't take too long. And if I don't find a target I can either aim at the ground and repeat to not lose charge or let it fade and reposition or etc. Usually if you're high up it doesn't matter that you're glowing in the ink.

Truthfully can't get used to the scope, I don't like the zooming in and narrowing my field of view. But added range can be tempting. Been wondering the same thing though. It's only just a slight increase in range and I feel like storing a charge helps in a lot of ways, and for that extra range ya could always do some fancy squid jump shot tactics.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Pros have preferred scopes since the start of the game. Perhaps there's been a slight increase in unscoped usage since the recent buff, but scoped still far outweighs unscoped. It seems that charge holding just isn't that useful compared to added range and zoom. The downside of tunnel vision is also negated in organized play, where you'll rarely be ambushed without a warning from your team.

NPDgames

Inkling
NNID
NPDgames
In Splatoon 1, I mained scopes. They offer superior precision due to the zoom, and the range buff is really nice. When I heard about storing charge in Splat2, I was pretty excited, and pretty disappointed when I learned it's not available on scopes. While I don't use chargers as much in 2, I usualy use scoped, though I use non scoped from time to time. I find myself with more shots hitting using scoped, but the extra flexibility is nice with the stored charge.

AllToonedUp

Inkling Cadet
I think it's just a matter of preference when it comes to scoped vs. unscoped but I personally like unscoped better since it allows you to hold your charge and if you already have good aim, then the slight range and tunneled vision really doesn't matter especially since Nintendo nerfed chargers and the removal of damage up forces you to hold your charge until it's full. (which is why the new "hold your charge" mechanic helps partially solve this problem)

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I play unscoped. For one thing, the hero charger replica lacks a scope, but I also hold my charge a good bit. I can charge up, adjust my position slightly, then fire, which is quite useful if the enemy is just out of sight or out of aim.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
What always threw me off about scoped is flicking your shots. In order to see your target, you have to charge near the target, alerting them to you much quicker than you would by aiming at the ground without a scope. Obviously your target might move, and you'll be none the wiser if you aim too far away from your target with the scope. Of course I might put too much value into flicking.

I practiced for a bit, and the only way I can think of doing it is charging near your target, and quickly flicking immediately as your charge is finished. Is this a viable way?

I prefer unscoped, but I'm terrible at shooting distant targets. Scoped (or even more practice) will remedy that. I guess I should get used to using scoped for variety's sake.

For the tunnel vision, I think constantly checking the map will do something about that. Your only fear is that crazy individual who doesn't ink his path.

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I think that unscoped is probably better just because of new options it gives chargers. The maps in this game are designed a lot differently than the 1st game's, and chargers will likely have to be a lot more offensive to be at maximum efficiency. If you think about it, unscoped actually has a lot of advantages that unscoped does not. You can be more aggressive, more stealthy, have better callouts (because you can see your entire screen at any time) and can move almost as fast as most short ranged shooters with their charge hold (especially with the Goo Tuber, Bamboo, and the Squiffer).

seaWEED

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3569-5511-7797
I would go with unscoped because holding charge can help in situations where right peeking isn't possible.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I think I've come to a conclusion. People who play solo-queue prefer unscoped because it helps them survive on their own because you never know what your teammates will be like. However, highly competitive teams prefer scoped because they already have teammates calling out where enemies are and they know they can rely on them.

precastzero180

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6334-8399-0502
IHowever, highly competitive teams prefer scoped because they already have teammates calling out where enemies are and they know they can rely on them.
I'm not so sure about that. The Splat Charger is always ahead of Splatterscope when the frequency of weapons that are used among the top 100 League teams on a weekly basis is counted. Last week, the Splat Charger was at #10.

precastzero180

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6334-8399-0502
I prefer unscoped with the Splat Charger. Holding a charge is just too fun to give up for a scope. That being said, I do prefer the scoped version of the E-liter, mostly because I only use that weapon when Moray Towers is in rotation and the extra range makes a difference on that map.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I'm not so sure about that. The Splat Charger is always ahead of Splatterscope when the frequency of weapons that are used among the top 100 League teams on a weekly basis is counted. Last week, the Splat Charger was at #10.
I've seen the league stats too. And while it does seem that unscoped are more common in league, and currently becoming more popular in tournament play, scoped was heavily favored in tournaments until recently. I was waiting until maybe another week had passed to amend my post earlier in the thread though, as who knows how the meta will develop.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I use scoped chargers simply because I find myself able to aim better with them and I like the slightly extra range. The scoped weapon gives me a better idea of how far it's going to shoot while I'm charging it up. Even though I have a general idea of the range of a splatterscope and e-liter it's still a bit difficult for me to tell exactly where the ink will shoot.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Obviously, it still comes down to preference, but I'm still going unscoped. The sudden scope zoom is super disorienting to me, and besides, charge keep kills are stylish. You have a very good advantage against scoped chargers in that you can hold a charge behind a block, climb up the block, and then snipe out of nowhere. Compare it to a scoped charger, who must either peek on the block or stand on top of it if there's nowhere to peek. It means less options for sniping angle and positioning, and less surprises (especially with the "CHARGER HERE" beacon they added). I get very good jumps on scopers thanks to that trick, and I feel like I'm the one that has the advantage in charger v charger, this time around!

And don't forget, with the keep you can technically left-side peek. I love charge keep so much.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I prefer to have my Chargers scoped, personally, but I use both depending on maps and mode. The tunnel vision from the scope is a non-issue for me since I shoot as soon as I hit full-charge anyway and that extra bit of range does help me in plenty of situations. That being said, for the slow-charging E-Liter I wouldn't add a scope ever in S2 gameplay since stored charges might be its only saving grace for the nerfs it has suffered, lol.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I tried out the Scoped Charger on my alt in Ranked. It was actually kinda interesting. Every match started with me getting a decent amount of splats, but as time went on, and enemies started pushing, getting splats got more and more difficult. If an enemy got near me, and my Splat Bomb didn't get 'em, I was basically dead, where I had more of a chance with unscoped. I could not focus on an enemy close to me with that scope.

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I started splooning in Sploon 2 when the game just came out, didn't get a chance to play its predecessor which is a pity...
Personally I prefer unscoped chargers.
+with no scope added, you don't need to peek into it while aiming, so you could be aware of your surroundings more
+the charge keeping mechanics! Thanks to it I could always adjust my position in the battle, and so my movements can be less predictable, I can either charge my gun up behind a wall and then jump out to give a surprise attack, or charge and then jump off to find the most comfortable angle to shoot. Of course it is also better when you were involved into some close combat situations.
In my opinion since many weapons have ranges that rival a charger, a charger should be more awared and sensitive of the surroundings, and use the advantages of its OHK and charge keep mechanics to stand against many other weapons that are threats to the charger, try to be more active in battles. And an unscoped charger would be a better choice for this.
also charge keeping mechanics makes many trickshots come true...apparently unscoped chargers were packed with more MLG energy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom