Splatoon 3 is just over the horizon, and today we got our biggest batch of new information to dive into yet!
If you missed the Direct, you can check it out on the link up above. There's a ton of information to get into, so we'll do our best to recap as much as we can!
- Splatoon 3, of course, takes places in the Splatlands, and Splatsville will be the new hub of the game. Though you'll recognize a number of familiar faces in this new setting.
- The Splatsville news program Anarchy Splatcast is hosted by the Deep Cut Trio, who will provide you with updates and news bulletins that you can even read on-the-go while exploring Splatsville.
- Splatfests return! And they've got a whole new twist - now there's three sides to choose from rather than two. The first half of a Splatfest will feature your usual Splatfest action in 4-on-4 Turf Wars, while the second half introduces Tricolor Tur War battles, a new mode where three teams fight at the same time. The Splatfest leader will be represented by a 4-player squad, while teams of two from the other two sides attack the first team at the same time!
- The first Splatfest will be on August 27th, featuring the classic test of Rock-Paper-Scissors
- You'll find new techniques at your disposal, like the Squid Surge, which lets you blast up a wall in a single motion, and the Squid Roll, which lets you jump out of ink and turn around simultaneously. The Squid Roll can even repel ink from opponents with the right timing!
- 12 stages total will be available at launch, both new and returning, with additional stages being added in free post-launch updates.
- Take to the battlefield on the new Eeltail Alley, Scorch Gorge, Mincemeat Metalworks, and Undertow Spillway, or return to Mahi-Mahi Resort, Museum d'Alfonsino, or even Hammerhead Bridge!
- All basic weapons from the previous game are available, plus new main weapons like the bow-like Stringers and Splatanas.
- Splatanas are new weapons that let you fling ink forward with multiple swipes, or even one stronger, charged swipe, plus double as melee weapons.
- New special weapons join the fray! Like the Tacticooler, Wave Breaker, and Reefslider.
- The Tacticooler fridge provides stat-boosting beverages for your team, while the Wave Breaker releases destructive shockwaves and the Reefslider charges forward and explodes with ferocity!
- Meanwhile, many special weapons return, like Tenta Missiles, Inkjet, Inkstorm, Ultra Stamp, and the Booyah Bomb.
- You'll grab headgear from Naut Couture, clothing from Man-o-Wardrobe, and shoes from Crush Station, plus don't forget to stop by Ammo Knights and say hi to Sheldon!
- In the lobby, you can join up in regular Turf War battles. Or you can head to Anarchy Battles, where you can compete for rankings in Splat Zones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz, either with a group or solo. And don't forget Private Battles!
- Additional multiplayer playlists like X Battles and League Battles will be added in future updates.
- In the test range, you can try out weapons at your own pace.
- The lobby even lets you jump into friends' lobbies easily, or invite them to your own!
- The Memory Player makes its debut, allowing you to view and share replays of your matches!
- Players have Splashtags at the beginning of matches, which can be customized with a title, background, and badge. Character emotes when winning a battle can also be customized.
- An in-game catalog, which will be updated every three months for two years, will let you get these customization options and more, available at the Hotlantis store.
- You can also check out the locker room, a little personal and customizable space to express yourself as a player, and view other players' lockers, as well.
- Looking for a new game at a different pace? Now there's Table Turf Battle! It's a new card game within Splatoon 3! This 1-on-1 card battle is a new take on Turf War, with different cards and power-ups to take over turf in a whole new way. There's over 150 cards to collect!
- Salmon Run returns, and now it can be played at any time! You'll encounter new enemies and bosses, and you'll have the chance to take on Big Runs, a new event where Salmonids invade the city where Inklings and Octolings live!
- Don't forget the story mode - Return of the Mammalians. Why is the Octarian Army covered in hair?
- And don't forget to check your mailbox! You might find some cool drawings in there.
- Try out Photo Mode, which you can use to take selfies and pictures, which can be featured in your locker.
- And try out Recon Mode! In Recon Mode, you can dabble in any of your favorite stages without having to load up Regular, Anarchy, or Private Battles. Check out stages at your own pace!
- Scan amiibos for special gear and, of course, to take some cool pictures with your amiibo companions, especially with the new Splatoon 3 amiibo!
- We've also got confirmation that Splatoon 3 will have a number of post-launch updates, including the aforementioned updates with new stages, weapons, and catalogs.
- Splatoon 3 also has planned "large scale, paid DLC" coming in the future!
- And if you're a veteran Splatoon 2 player, that'll pay off! You can transfer some of your Splatoon 2 save data to Splatoon 3. If recognized, you'll start off at a higher rank depending on your Splatoon 2 rank, you'll have access to Anarchy Battles immediately, and more!
There's so much to dig into for us Splatoon fans! You can check out all the details in, well, more detail on the official website, Nintendo's latest Splatoon 3 update page, and in the Direct linked above!
So, what did you think about today's Direct? How excited are you for Splatoon 3? Let us know!