• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Clash Blaster overpowered?

SquidletSquidlet

Inkster Jr.
Hey, so I'm all for calling out a weapon as overpowered and/or overcentralizing. But in the case of the Clash Blaster I don't get it; I've seen it called overpowered numerous times, but why? Is it easy to exploit for some reason in a certain mode or situation that I'm just not seeing? I've tried it for a while and it has pretty low range and weak shots. It doesn't one hit ko unlike every other blaster.

So what gives? Why do some squids claim it's op?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It's just a real hard weapon to approach or deal with if you don't immediately outrange it.

Being a Blaster, it has a very large explosion radius at its maximum reach. Being it is one of the shorter range blasters, being a bit longer ranged than the Luna Blaster, the weapons does a very good job in somewhat close combat and the edge of the explosion's range is not too shabby both in front and behind.

It might not have an amazing kill speed, being a 4 hit kill with the shockwave, but the fast firing rate chips away at opponents fast and doesn't give them too much time between shots to get out of dodge. Direct hits with this thing is still a 2 hit kill like the Rapid Blaster series.

Then it does come with decent mobility, especially in comparison to the other close ranged Blaster, the Luna Blaster, or most Blasters in general.

I'm not sure if I'd say it is OP, but as a weapon, it is certainly one of the more annoying mosquitoes with a low skill requirement.

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah it’s a fast-firing blaster with chip damage that has similar range to a lot of the short range meta weapons. Definitely annoying on tower control. It’s pretty much the closest thing splatoon has to a flamethrower. Dunno if it’s OP but definitely a challenge to approach with the octobrush (my weapon of choice :p )

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Yes....very. I don't even use blasters a lot, but whenever I do use the Clash, I get more kills than I normally would with any other weapon. The fact that I'm not even a blaster main and do well with it says a lot. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use it. And since they released the Neo, people have been loving it in ranked.....as if blasters didn't already flood ranked.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Rapid blaster pro is a blaster that cannot splat other inking quickly. Rapid blaster pro fire rate is 50% slower than the clash blaster. Rapid blaster pro range: ~4 lines. Clash blaster range: ~2.5 lines. Clash blaster fire rate: 20 frame

My average Clash blaster splat rate is about ~30% high than the Rapid blaster pro.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Yes....very. I don't even use blasters a lot, but whenever I do use the Clash, I get more kills than I normally would with any other weapon. The fact that I'm not even a blaster main and do well with it says a lot. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use it. And since they released the Neo, people have been loving it in ranked.....as if blasters didn't already flood ranked.
Maybe that means that you're just good at using the weapon?

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I surely dislike this weapon, since all you gonna do is just spam, and any person within your range will likely die, unless they can kill you before you kill them, and only few weapons can do that because clash has a high fire rate and decent blast radius. the blast explosions themselves are also distracting to those close range shooters.
I’m pretty sure a clash blaster user can just spam their way up from C- to S, with zero skills required. I’m not saying this weapon is for dumb brainless people, I’ve met some decent clash blaster players in higher ranks also, and one of them is my friend, we play league together.
But the nature of this weapon also makes it extremely vulnerable and passive when its opponents can easily stay away from its range.
No matter your weapon outranges clash or you choose to substrafe it, or to bait it, clash can do little in these situations.
When a clash couldn’t approach you, it pretty much is a living dummy to you.
With a very high lower-limit and a not so high upper-limit, the weaknesses of clash blaster are obvious. I’d say both clash and its opponents need to play smart in the encounters, never engage into fights if you are not confident, and don’t miss the chance when your opponents got distracted, only the most cunning ones shall survive.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
It’s more like people get annoyed by it (for good reasons) due to good range and explosion size for a rapid firing blaster, and then calling it OP.
Simliar to the pre-patch tri slosher, it’s also easy to use effectively.

Don’t get fooled though, it’s a tricky blaster to master especially when facing skilled oppenents.
It has very bad inking and 4 indirects is a low TTK regardless of its higher fire speed (landing directs is also not easy unless you catch someone off-guard), you can get out-inked easely and make yourself a sitting duck before you know it.
If you’re not using the element of surprise or the terrain in your favor, you’re gonna have a bad time.
Granted, the above is true for other close-range blasters but the clash has clear strentghs but underlying flaws that are hard to notice at first due the fire rate imo.
Another thing i don’t see people mentioning is that the clash cannot use technique’s like the ‘bunny hop’ effectively, making it easier to play at first glance yet also contributes to it’s weakness of being really bad in direct fights.
It’s a solid weapon especially in TC, but i wouldn’t call it OP or braindead just yet.
Arguably, it does make the luna a bit redundant though.

Reactions: the

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Oh boy, the Clash Blaster.

I've been talking about this weapon so much over the past couple weeks, and I've come to the same conclusion every time. It's not OP, or Overpowered at all. So, since I've typed up multiple reasons as to why the clash blaster isn't OP, I'll just copy / paste them onto here to answer your question.

Clash doesn't need a nerf in the slightest.

The weapon finally got good, and it has a niche of being a fast paced blaster. However, as a blaster main myself, I hate this thing. The weapon just doesn't feel like a blaster to me, as directs are purely optional on this blaster. Which (as a range/rapid main) just doesn't make any sense to me. However, I think it has the niche of fighting short range shooters rather well, as it outranges them and can dance around them with indirects.

And the blast radius is very forgiving on this blaster, making it only a matter of dodging the opponent's attacks rather than trying to aim. And missing a shot doesn't matter when you're spitting a shot out every 1/5th of a second. Which is much faster than other blasters.

However, this comes at a cost. It only deals 30 damage with an indirect, and only 60 damage with a direct. Making it's time to kill extremely slow if the user only goes for indirects. Making it a 4 shot taking just over a second.

"Just over a second? @ThatOneGuy, that's not slow at all"

Oh, but it is rather slow in this game. Compared to weapons like the N-Zap firing 12 shots a second, or the .52 with 6 shots a second, allowing them to kill you 3 times over before the clash with indirects could kill you once. Even ranged weapons, like the Splattershot pro kill faster. And even weaker weapons, like the inkbrush kill faster. Making the Clash Blaster a slow kill when only indirects are used.

Not to mention the sloshing machine does whatever this weapon does (frontline, blaster like stingray) with more damage and range. All it takes is some aim and it doesn't have as much mobility.

"But with the clash blaster's stingray, it becomes a tower control beast"
But can it get that stingray fast / consistently without sacrificing it's build to special saver / comeback / tenacity / or special charge? Usually, no, since the painting is rather poor compared to other stingray weapons like the .52 deco and the jet squelcher (which aren't the best painters in the first place).

Also, the curling bomb + tentamissle kit is not scary at all. It still has the same problems as the first kit, and you don't even have a stingray to be a threat on tower and rainmaker. Instead you have inconsistent tentamissles. Not much of a threat, especially when the tentamissles need to get back to do damage, and the clash needs to go upfront to do damage.

With it's weaknesses of below average range, slow time to kill, and poor painting, the indirect size and fire rate is fine. The Clash has finally seen some success, and it shouldn't be nerfed as soon as it finds a niche.

The clash blaster's two direct kill can kill in: 31 frames. Which is just a bit over half a second. But yeah, it's not that slow if you do that.

But what's wrong with this, and limiting the clash from being OP?

You can only do this at close range, making it rather easy to avoid getting caught up into a double direct since most weapons can kill upfront before that clash even gets close. In comparison to other close range threats, the sploosh o matic can kill someone with ink armor faster, dapple dualies can shred you in just 11 frames, with about the same range, killing almost 3 times as fast as a clash up close. And it has dodge rolls to help it get closer to you anyway.

It needs 2 hits exactly in order to accomplish. Getting two hits in a row is what you need to do this with. Upclose, and not missing. If you miss, add another 20 frames onto your time to kill. Which makes killing with the clash somewhat slow. Since most weapons in this game can kill in under 30 frames in ideal situations. Notable weapons include:
The jet squelcher (takes 27 frames to kill)
The inkbrush (25 frames to kill)
Mini Splatling (27 frames to kill)
Squeezer (holding ZR) (24 frames to kill)

The only weapons that take much longer are the chargers and the longer range splatlings, but at least they have range to counter the fact they can't kill quickly.

So even under ideal situations, with perfect aim, positioning and directs, the clash blaster still takes too long to kill. As many other weapons (notably other blasters and shooters) can kill much quicker than the clash blaster.

Sorry I didn't make much original content for this post, I've just been talking about the clash blaster so much for the past couple days, and I've typed way too much for it to go to waste.

At the end of the day, committing to either fighting straight at a clash blaster (which usually works since you'll kill the clash first) or running immediately are probably your best options as to fighting a clash.

The Clash Blaster likes picking on weakened targets and unaware players, so be sure to look out for the weapon if it's on the enemy team. Make sure it's not just sitting somewhere.

The worst part about a clash blaster (in my opinion) is summed up perfectly by @Gameboy224

I'm not sure if I'd say it is OP, but as a weapon, it is certainly one of the more annoying mosquitoes with a low skill requirement.
The Clash Blaster is an incredibly easy weapon to use. As aiming the blaster is rather generous with the large explosion radius. However, a smart clash blaster will not challenge you head on. A clash blaster will try to sneak up to you (like a mosquito) and try to widdle your health down slowly before you get splatted.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Oh boy, the Clash Blaster.

I've been talking about this weapon so much over the past couple weeks, and I've come to the same conclusion every time. It's not OP, or Overpowered at all. So, since I've typed up multiple reasons as to why the clash blaster isn't OP, I'll just copy / paste them onto here to answer your question.

Clash doesn't need a nerf in the slightest.

The weapon finally got good, and it has a niche of being a fast paced blaster. However, as a blaster main myself, I hate this thing. The weapon just doesn't feel like a blaster to me, as directs are purely optional on this blaster. Which (as a range/rapid main) just doesn't make any sense to me. However, I think it has the niche of fighting short range shooters rather well, as it outranges them and can dance around them with indirects.

And the blast radius is very forgiving on this blaster, making it only a matter of dodging the opponent's attacks rather than trying to aim. And missing a shot doesn't matter when you're spitting a shot out every 1/5th of a second. Which is much faster than other blasters.

However, this comes at a cost. It only deals 30 damage with an indirect, and only 60 damage with a direct. Making it's time to kill extremely slow if the user only goes for indirects. Making it a 4 shot taking just over a second.

"Just over a second? @ThatOneGuy, that's not slow at all"

Oh, but it is rather slow in this game. Compared to weapons like the N-Zap firing 12 shots a second, or the .52 with 6 shots a second, allowing them to kill you 3 times over before the clash with indirects could kill you once. Even ranged weapons, like the Splattershot pro kill faster. And even weaker weapons, like the inkbrush kill faster. Making the Clash Blaster a slow kill when only indirects are used.

Not to mention the sloshing machine does whatever this weapon does (frontline, blaster like stingray) with more damage and range. All it takes is some aim and it doesn't have as much mobility.

"But with the clash blaster's stingray, it becomes a tower control beast"
But can it get that stingray fast / consistently without sacrificing it's build to special saver / comeback / tenacity / or special charge? Usually, no, since the painting is rather poor compared to other stingray weapons like the .52 deco and the jet squelcher (which aren't the best painters in the first place).

Also, the curling bomb + tentamissle kit is not scary at all. It still has the same problems as the first kit, and you don't even have a stingray to be a threat on tower and rainmaker. Instead you have inconsistent tentamissles. Not much of a threat, especially when the tentamissles need to get back to do damage, and the clash needs to go upfront to do damage.

With it's weaknesses of below average range, slow time to kill, and poor painting, the indirect size and fire rate is fine. The Clash has finally seen some success, and it shouldn't be nerfed as soon as it finds a niche.

The clash blaster's two direct kill can kill in: 31 frames. Which is just a bit over half a second. But yeah, it's not that slow if you do that.

But what's wrong with this, and limiting the clash from being OP?

You can only do this at close range, making it rather easy to avoid getting caught up into a double direct since most weapons can kill upfront before that clash even gets close. In comparison to other close range threats, the sploosh o matic can kill someone with ink armor faster, dapple dualies can shred you in just 11 frames, with about the same range, killing almost 3 times as fast as a clash up close. And it has dodge rolls to help it get closer to you anyway.

It needs 2 hits exactly in order to accomplish. Getting two hits in a row is what you need to do this with. Upclose, and not missing. If you miss, add another 20 frames onto your time to kill. Which makes killing with the clash somewhat slow. Since most weapons in this game can kill in under 30 frames in ideal situations. Notable weapons include:
The jet squelcher (takes 27 frames to kill)
The inkbrush (25 frames to kill)
Mini Splatling (27 frames to kill)
Squeezer (holding ZR) (24 frames to kill)

The only weapons that take much longer are the chargers and the longer range splatlings, but at least they have range to counter the fact they can't kill quickly.

So even under ideal situations, with perfect aim, positioning and directs, the clash blaster still takes too long to kill. As many other weapons (notably other blasters and shooters) can kill much quicker than the clash blaster.

Sorry I didn't make much original content for this post, I've just been talking about the clash blaster so much for the past couple days, and I've typed way too much for it to go to waste.

At the end of the day, committing to either fighting straight at a clash blaster (which usually works since you'll kill the clash first) or running immediately are probably your best options as to fighting a clash.

The Clash Blaster likes picking on weakened targets and unaware players, so be sure to look out for the weapon if it's on the enemy team. Make sure it's not just sitting somewhere.

The worst part about a clash blaster (in my opinion) is summed up perfectly by @Gameboy224

The Clash Blaster is an incredibly easy weapon to use. As aiming the blaster is rather generous with the large explosion radius. However, a smart clash blaster will not challenge you head on. A clash blaster will try to sneak up to you (like a mosquito) and try to widdle your health down slowly before you get splatted.
Agree mostly expect for the tenta missile part.
The consistency and damage of this special is largely based on how much you and you team take advantage of it’s results.
It can actually be incredible on the clash since it both softens enemy’s while forcing them to move, possible to you.
While you do need to back up a bit, the special is generally quik to execute minimizing the time your ‘off’.
The delay between firing the missiles and them landing is also pretty generous lowering the setbback of briefly falling back noticably.
This gives you a chance to close in before they land and exploit the choas, or fire a barrage in advance to an charging team.
If the choas created by the missiles is used right (and you want to make each special count), it can be really scary.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Agree mostly expect for the tenta missile part.
The consistency and damage of this special is largely based on how much you and you team take advantage of it’s results.
It can actually be incredible on the clash since it both softens enemy’s while forcing them to move, possible to you.
While you do need to back up a bit, the special is generally quik to execute minimizing the time your ‘off’.
The delay between firing the missiles and them landing is also pretty generous lowering the setbback of briefly falling back noticably.
This gives you a chance to close in before they land and exploit the choas, or fire a barrage in advance to an charging team.
If the choas created by the missiles is used right (and you want to make each special count), it can be really scary.
In addition, because it locates people, the clash can use the tenta missiles in order to sneak up on people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom