• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Clash Blaster

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
@MotorGamer I think I can shed some light on the idea. Ink Saver Main is more useful for weapons that require way more out of the main weapon than just shooting or weapons that take a lot of ink per shot. This fits for weapons like non-Rapid Blasters, Brellas because using the shield takes ink from your tank, Dualies because of the dodge rolling, the Hydra Splatling, the E-Liters, and the Splattershot Pros to a bit lesser of an extent. These are weapons where the main weapon consumes ink like a demon consuming souls. So you would want to make sure that you can keep going as long as possible, especially in a drawn out fire fight where you will need more ink on a short term basis.

So where does that leave room for Ink Recovery Up? A few scenarios come to mind. Have you ever noticed that after throwing a sub weapon there is a delay between when you throw it and when you can start recovering ink? This is especially noticeable with Splash Walls and Suction Bombs. This can leave you rather high and dry longer than you would like and it would help to recover ink a little faster to get back into the game, right? This is more of a long term plan. Once you run dry, this helps you get back into the action faster.

In the long run, all it really boils down to is when do you need ink? Sooner or later? Of course nothing is stopping you from running both, but often you are going to want other skills to round out a weapon's capabilities. So if you need to pick, that is how I look at it. Hopefully this helps in some capacity.
@Dark Sage Walker thanks dude. This helps me visualize, and I am agreeing with you now. I also sort of have my own opinion on weapons that you are going to be spending most of your time in is when you are going to went to run Ink Recovery Up. Like a Carbon or Luna where you want to pop out of ink for a kill.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I prefer Ink recovery up almost always except on Hydra, Dynamo, E-Liter, and a little on Rapid. I run 2 pures of ISM on E-Liter. But I run ink recovery on my zimi and splattershot and oh boy does it help a lot. I only have to spend very short times in ink swimming somewhere and I get so much back. They way I see it, ink recovery is more versatile an ability than ink Saver Main. Honestly on most weapons you should just exclude ISM on your build and get used to having less ink so you have more slots for other things. The only reason to ever run ISM is if your weapon eats ink like a beast but the pressure from your weapon is so great that you need to get the most out of your ink tank, hence running it on dynamo and liter.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I prefer Ink recovery up almost always except on Hydra, Dynamo, E-Liter, and a little on Rapid. I run 2 pures of ISM on E-Liter. But I run ink recovery on my zimi and splattershot and oh boy does it help a lot. I only have to spend very short times in ink swimming somewhere and I get so much back. They way I see it, ink recovery is more versatile an ability than ink Saver Main. Honestly on most weapons you should just exclude ISM on your build and get used to having less ink so you have more slots for other things. The only reason to ever run ISM is if your weapon eats ink like a beast but the pressure from your weapon is so great that you need to get the most out of your ink tank, hence running it on dynamo and liter.
Yeah, and if you are traveling behind a Curling bomb on the Zimi you can regain your Ink a lot faster when traveling, which is awesome. I like Sub Saver on the mini though, because I love the Burst Bombs, and Throwing three to get around is pretty awesome.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Yeah, and if you are traveling behind a Curling bomb on the Zimi you can regain your Ink a lot faster when traveling, which is awesome. I like Sub Saver on the mini though, because I love the Burst Bombs, and Throwing three to get around is pretty awesome.
I agree it's pretty cool, and you're right about the curling bomb thing. But from my time using sshot I really wouldn't recommend using burst bombs to get around unless you're trapped and in a pinch. Just use your main weapon, b/c it's a pretty big waste of ink. Although yes it does feel cool to use them to get around.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
I agree it's pretty cool, and you're right about the curling bomb thing. But from my time using sshot I really wouldn't recommend using burst bombs to get around unless you're trapped and in a pinch. Just use your main weapon, b/c it's a pretty big waste of ink. Although yes it does feel cool to use them to get around.
The really only like doing by it in clam blitz, just jumping around and using burst bombs to ink the area below clams. It also comes in handy with the groups of four clams, because they will response there. In Tower Control you can use Burst Bombs to quickly ink a side of the Tower.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@MotorGamer I think I can shed some light on the idea. Ink Saver Main is more useful for weapons that require way more out of the main weapon than just shooting or weapons that take a lot of ink per shot. This fits for weapons like non-Rapid Blasters, Brellas because using the shield takes ink from your tank, Dualies because of the dodge rolling, the Hydra Splatling, the E-Liters, and the Splattershot Pros to a bit lesser of an extent. These are weapons where the main weapon consumes ink like a demon consuming souls. So you would want to make sure that you can keep going as long as possible, especially in a drawn out fire fight where you will need more ink on a short term basis.

So where does that leave room for Ink Recovery Up? A few scenarios come to mind. Have you ever noticed that after throwing a sub weapon there is a delay between when you throw it and when you can start recovering ink? This is especially noticeable with Splash Walls and Suction Bombs. This can leave you rather high and dry longer than you would like and it would help to recover ink a little faster to get back into the game, right? This is more of a long term plan. Once you run dry, this helps you get back into the action faster.

In the long run, all it really boils down to is when do you need ink? Sooner or later? Of course nothing is stopping you from running both, but often you are going to want other skills to round out a weapon's capabilities. So if you need to pick, that is how I look at it. Hopefully this helps in some capacity.
And really, considering diminishing returns, running a little of both isn't a bad alternative compared to running a straight up main or two of just ISM or IRU. They have a very synergistic relationship.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Spaceswitchmars Agreed. I think it isn't a bad idea, but I would only really do that if the weapon you are using is hungry for ink like a Hippopotamus.

Just recently started practicing with the Sorella Brella and I can confidently say that it is one such weapon! I've had it happen to me more than a few times where I'll be in the middle of a fire fight and suddenly run out of ink leaving me to scramble to safety or, more often than not, get splatted by an enemy that just laughs at my misfortune. Hence why I recommend ISM for Brellas for sure!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom