• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Classic Squiffer: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Power

Inkling Commander
I tend to disagree with the utility of mines. It is pretty easy to dodge them imo and from my experience. I would rather quickly snipe people on tower than put mines on them. (usually resulting in 1-3 kills instead of people jumping off the tower and probably killing me) Also, correct me on this, but mines cost a lot of ink. If I am in a running away situation, a mine will not save me as players can easily avoid it. Along with this, the lack of ink means your escape is limited. Inkzooka seems to be the only upside.

I am not undermining your experience with it. I definitely have to try the new squiffer more, something I will do today.

jubilee

Inkling
Well, Ink Mines don't use that much ink(60%, which is pretty average for a sub weapon). 60% means you can shoot three, almost four, fully charged shots with the squiffer without any ink gain. But yeah, I would usually just snipe the inklings on the tower too, but the mine laying is usually for mix-ups.

Overall, I think that the Classic Squiffer is more about using your main weapon to it's full extent(since the main weapon is pretty much the only way of killing you have), whereas the New Squiffer relies a little more on it's sub and special to do the dirty work. Also, the Classic version might be able to be more supportive, since it's sub and special aid the whole team, whereas the New version is probably not as much of a team player (although I do tend to play supportive). I think its just a playstyle preference. Or it might just be that I'm biased 'cause I like the I like to use the mines so much :D
Anyway, I'll be trying out the Classic Squiffer soon more, since using the point sensors to track and deal with enemies effectively sounds awesome.

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
ok, what are you guys using as abilities now? i can NOT figure out what to wear. like... when i player splatter pro, i know i need ink saver ink saver ink saver inksaver, when i play e-liter or carbon roller damage up is a god-send for those burst bombs.

but with the squiffer i am just not sure what would actually help. damage up seems pretty worthless with the sub options and the weapon's fast charge. it has amazing ink efficiency already so that knocks out a bunch. death-related ones are mostly a no-go because as a sniper you generally die less than other weapons (unless tower control). even special time up seems kinda worthless given bubbler on squiffer is meant to be more defensive than on other weapons (maybe for the new, but tbh i don't like inkzooka lasting long -- i mostly use it to kill a particular threat i can't reach).

:l

basically, cold blooded (since squiffer is more mobile than other snipers and more vulnerable than other mobile weapons)... then special charge up. on the classic, bomb range up. ink res because it's simply good at getting you out of being killed. is defense up useful at all? i really don't know what to be trying for :x

i've started playing ranked again and i'm almost to A+ but it's becoming more crucial that i don't waste slots.

DuD

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MaBex11
I also struggle with picking abilities for my Squiffer.

I'm currently using:
Run Speed Up
Defence Up
Ink Resistance

I'm sure there must be better options though?

jubilee

Inkling
I pretty much always use Cold-Blooded and Ink Resistance as main abilities. I think Cold-Blooded is nice for any weapon except the longer-ranged chargers and the same goes for Ink Resistance. I also use a lot of Special Charge Up and Swim Speed Up. Special Charge Up is good so that you can really have that Bubbler or Inkzooka when you really need it, and Swim Speed Up aids in your escapes and increases your mobility significantly. Sometimes I use Bomb Range Up for the Classic Squiffer, too.

I don't think the Squiffers have any ability that's really vital to them when compared to some weapons. I tend to pick abilities that are generally good. I'm not too keen in Defence since the amount that one main ability gives you doesn't affect too much, and using more would be wasting slots in my opinion.

I also struggle with picking abilities for my Squiffer.

I'm currently using:
Run Speed Up
Defence Up
Ink Resistance

I'm sure there must be better options though?
I'm particularly interested in you using Run Speed up... How is it superior to Swim Speed Up? I don't usually run for movement since swimming is faster, but there could have been something that I have missed about the ability...

Last edited:

DuD

Inkster Jr.
NNID
MaBex11
I've had some success from inkless (dont appear on the mini map) flanks at the start of matches. It helps with that, however that's map specific.

I don't know if it help with movement whilst holding a shot?

I've not overly thought it out.. I tried it and it coincided with me getting better. Probably a coincidence?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
ok, what are you guys using as abilities now? i can NOT figure out what to wear. like... when i player splatter pro, i know i need ink saver ink saver ink saver inksaver, when i play e-liter or carbon roller damage up is a god-send for those burst bombs.

but with the squiffer i am just not sure what would actually help. damage up seems pretty worthless with the sub options and the weapon's fast charge. it has amazing ink efficiency already so that knocks out a bunch. death-related ones are mostly a no-go because as a sniper you generally die less than other weapons (unless tower control). even special time up seems kinda worthless given bubbler on squiffer is meant to be more defensive than on other weapons (maybe for the new, but tbh i don't like inkzooka lasting long -- i mostly use it to kill a particular threat i can't reach).

:l

basically, cold blooded (since squiffer is more mobile than other snipers and more vulnerable than other mobile weapons)... then special charge up. on the classic, bomb range up. ink res because it's simply good at getting you out of being killed. is defense up useful at all? i really don't know what to be trying for :x

i've started playing ranked again and i'm almost to A+ but it's becoming more crucial that i don't waste slots.
I dunno, squiffer plays more forward than most chargers so it is on average more prone to dying.

Reactions: DuD
Not my favorite charger. I generally find it difficult to use for some weird reason. I'm better with a kelp scope or e liter, but it's still a weapon with a lot of potential.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ninja Squid is a must for Squiffer imo. Since you need to get closer to the enemies, not being detected when swimming on the ink helps a ton.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Ninja Squid is a must for Squiffer imo. Since you need to get closer to the enemies, not being detected when swimming on the ink helps a ton.
is echo locator less common now? i used to use ninja squid but then more and more enemy teams started using echolocator and cold blooded became more useful. plus no cold blooded makes us even more vulnerable to regular e-liters which outrange is by far, have stronger close range defense with burst bombs, and can track us with echo locator.

ninja squid could make it more possible to approach them when they don't have echo locator running, though...

*edit: i just tried ninja squid out and i am DYING against e-liters left and right. it's just a constant stream of echo locators.

---------------------------

i've never done inkless travel with a squiffer. I've done it with rollers, but usually when i'm squiffing i feel obligated to create a quick swim path for teammates, also so i can get some point sensors set up before my teammates get there. i'll try this out next time!

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
is echo locator less common now? i used to use ninja squid but then more and more enemy teams started using echolocator and cold blooded became more useful. plus no cold blooded makes us even more vulnerable to regular e-liters which outrange is by far, have stronger close range defense with burst bombs, and can track us with echo locator.

ninja squid could make it more possible to approach them when they don't have echo locator running, though...

*edit: i just tried ninja squid out and i am DYING against e-liters left and right. it's just a constant stream of echo locators.

---------------------------

i've never done inkless travel with a squiffer. I've done it with rollers, but usually when i'm squiffing i feel obligated to create a quick swim path for teammates, also so i can get some point sensors set up before my teammates get there. i'll try this out next time!
Well, I very rarely see echolators being used, so ninja squid works well with the Squiffer to me. Though, to be honest, I haven't seem that many E-liters lately.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Has anyone else tried out the Squiffer in Rainmaker?

I don't know about anyone else, but it's speed+power+range makes it good at breaking the shield, it creates good paths for the rainmaker, and people focusing on killing the shield are ripe for one-shoting.

>.> I've never been that confident with the Squiffer in other ranked modes, but holy heck, I did crazy awesome today.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Has anyone else tried out the Squiffer in Rainmaker?

I don't know about anyone else, but it's speed+power+range makes it good at breaking the shield, it creates good paths for the rainmaker, and people focusing on killing the shield are ripe for one-shoting.

>.> I've never been that confident with the Squiffer in other ranked modes, but holy heck, I did crazy awesome today.
i've been doing well despite not playing well? but it's hard when you get a good bucket on the other team. even though we naturally outrange them with the chaos of the mode plus centering on a tiny point they are more dangerous than ever (at least for me whose aim game was off). even so i went from just about dropping rank to just about climbing over to A+ finally. i did notice i'm pretty much the single most powerful breaker of the shield, though, lol.

oh, also i've noticed i'm one of the best users of the rainmaker weapon. i guess because it feels like a mid-range charger i'm already fairly used to using it where other players are a squid out of water.

NNID
Pkmnmaster3
Well being new to this thread hello! The squiffer seems like a good weapon for modes like rainmaker where everything is close range and the race for the rainmaker is never ending .......then again I never tried it in rainmaker so I wouldn't know hehe

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Squiifer is definitely a fun weapon to use on Rainmaker. It helps a lot on breaking the shield, the bubble is very useful when you are protecting the squid holding the rainmaker and the "high" fire rate + the straight line the Squiffer shoot is great for creating paths for bringing the rainmaker to the goal faster. Of all ranked modes, Rainmaker is where the Squiffer shines the most.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I know it has been ages since this thread was posted, but I have to say I think this is a great weapon. The fast charge rate and mobility makes it much more forgiving if you make the shot, so it makes a nice gateway charger to practice your aim. Beginners can hardly hit targets from afar with an E-Liter if they can't focus up close.

As a weapon itself, I love the loadout. I wrote off Point Sensors in the past, but they can be very powerful tools to help splat foes you catch a glimmer of. The need for precise aim only makes it more useful. Bubbler is a great panic button, that can often score you a splat in return.

Loadout wise, I decided to go with a mix of Run Speed and Special Charge, to better strafe opponents when shooting and use the almighty Bubbler.

:head_met003::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_plo001::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:shoes_lts002::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_defenseup:

Still not perfect, but it works for me.

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I know it has been ages since this thread was posted, but I have to say I think this is a great weapon. The fast charge rate and mobility makes it much more forgiving if you make the shot, so it makes a nice gateway charger to practice your aim. Beginners can hardly hit targets from afar with an E-Liter if they can't focus up close.

As a weapon itself, I love the loadout. I wrote off Point Sensors in the past, but they can be very powerful tools to help splat foes you catch a glimmer of. The need for precise aim only makes it more useful. Bubbler is a great panic button, that can often score you a splat in return.

Loadout wise, I decided to go with a mix of Run Speed and Special Charge, to better strafe opponents when shooting and use the almighty Bubbler.

:head_met003::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_plo001::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_unknown:
:shoes_lts002::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_defenseup:

Still not perfect, but it works for me.
i love both squiffers, but i have a hard time getting past the classic's lack of attack options. if it had slightly more range it'd be another story, but i've been venting by learning the new squiffer in the meantime (which is tricky for me but i'm starting to appreciate the options it presents).

classic is a great teamwork weapon, though. because you only have one offense from your person, you can really focus on it without distractions. point sensor both increases your accuracy but also provides the classic's "secondary offensive option" (telling your teammates you've locked down a threat).

personally, i kinda like to play a bit of bait, luring opponents in and dropping a point sensor before taking advantage of the squiffer's mobility to GET THE **** OUT OF THERE (i imagine it'll be even more effective now that i've started putting resources into my run and swim speed). then i not only know where they are (even if i miss i have a vague idea) so i can adjust my only strategy but it's also likely i've just cast a slow spell of death in the form of my teammates.

actually one of my biggest gripes with the weapon is the bubbler. while it used to be kinda nice when i was getting used to the weapon, it feels almost "extra" (like... "alright, might as well have this and be a little more daring"). sure, i could pass it to teammates, but i'm generally slightly distanced from them trying to complement their angle of attack and put pressure on the opponents. i usually use it as an escape, but even then it often backfires when rabid machine gun fire forces me into a corner or off a ledge (and with all that jostling and only a single shot at a time to attack with, it's often futile to try to hit them back).

still highly enjoy the squiffer in general (it IS my favorite),
i just wish they would give us a third loadout for it.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
Ninja squid is a pretty nice ability, but I prefer tilt swimming over it. You don't have to dedicate a slot to ninja squid, when you can be using something that aids you a bit better.

All you have to do is find your inner ninja.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
actually one of my biggest gripes with the weapon is the bubbler. while it used to be kinda nice when i was getting used to the weapon, it feels almost "extra" (like... "alright, might as well have this and be a little more daring"). sure, i could pass it to teammates, but i'm generally slightly distanced from them trying to complement their angle of attack and put pressure on the opponents. i usually use it as an escape, but even then it often backfires when rabid machine gun fire forces me into a corner or off a ledge (and with all that jostling and only a single shot at a time to attack with, it's often futile to try to hit them back).
Honestly the Bubbler may very well be the worst special on this thing. It's clunky and awkward just as you say.

Which I suppose may be a balancing move, since the Point Sensor is so strong on this thing.

jubilee

Inkling
Honestly the Bubbler may very well be the worst special on this thing. It's clunky and awkward just as you say.

Which I suppose may be a balancing move, since the Point Sensor is so strong on this thing.
I don't really agree with this. It's benefitial for a Bubbler user to have range, since even if you're being pushed around you can almost always still reach you're opponent, often resulting in a splat. (For instance, the Bubbler doesn't really match with Inkbrush in the Nouveau set since you can be pushed around like a pinball, with them very easily outranging you, forcing you to back up because of something that seemed to be your advantage.)

As the Classic Squiffer can be used quite supportively with the Point Sensor, the Bubbler adds to this idea since since it can initiate a big advantage state for your team if multiple members get it.

When used offensively, you can throw a Point Sensor or two first to mark your opponents before activating the Bubbler, since your ink tank is instantly refilled. This allows for the actual splatting to be easier, too. (Though i can't see why this wouldn't be useful to do defencively, either, if you happen to have the time to throw the Point Sensors.) If you have teammates with you, the situation becomes incredibly advantegous for your team, with the opponents often being marked and you having multiple members able to run rampant with the Bubbler. Even if you don't get anyone splatted, you almost surely will capture the area, which can be crucial in any game mode, but especially in Splat Zones.

And of course, the Bubbler helps defencively with both surprising situations and planned defence. The Bubbler is especially useful for the Squiffer in situations where a weapon with shorter range tries to assassinate you, with the opponent being in your face, since the Squiffer normally has a hard time that up close. And for planned defence the Bubbler is marvellous because it can completely stop the opponent from advancing towards the objective for a few seconds, which can often decide the whole match.

It's true that, for instance, the Kraken, beats the Bubbler in mobility and solo offence, but the Bubbler, imo, is stronger with teammates for offence, and has much better defencive capabilites than the Kraken overall(since you still retain your range and you can spread out with your team of bubbler holders). Also, you can also use the Bubbler to rush in to a Splat Zone to fill it with your own ink, possibly netting you the counter, or at least disrupting the opponents'; this has won me some matches. At least, I don't think that the Bubbler is the worst special for the Classic Squiffer. I'm not even sure if I'd main the weapon had it Inkstrike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom