• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Client-Side Hit-Detection

superman

Senior Squid
How are you guys coping with it so far?

I used to play a lot of Quake 3 / 4 / Live competitively so I'm used to authoritative servers where the client won't simulate anything in the game and just passes input. Playing a game with client-side hit-detection is new to me, I know there's been some of these shenanigans going on in other multiplayer games like battlefield and the like.

I've definitely noticed, especially playing with japanese players that I've been splattet far behind cover a few times.

Will this be something competitive players will have a problem with? I decided to give splatoon a spin nonetheless but this might lead to players intentionally wanting to have a bad internet connection to be harder to hit for other player and having no problems hitting their shots themselves.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I notice this a lot on roller players who roll over me from a distance. I always chalked it up to lag or something, but this would make sense.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
It's smooth for the most part, but regional matchmaking should take priority over worldwide.

At least it's not peer-to-peer, and lag has only been an issue for a little bit. The game will actually disconnect all players if lag stays consistent, which is a great feature instead of losing because the ground you inked wouldn't change colors.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
It's smooth for the most part, but regional matchmaking should take priority over worldwide.

At least it's not peer-to-peer, and lag has only been an issue for a little bit. The game will actually disconnect all players if lag stays consistent, which is a great feature instead of losing because the ground you inked wouldn't change colors.
Yeah this is great. Doesn't screw over one team in which someone disconnects, and then they are down a squid the whole match. My only complaint is that this counts as a loss towards your win streak though.

praline

I'm ready!
I've had a couple times where I rolled over a dude and I've died instead of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom