• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Color Wars: Canceled Xbox 360 game similar to Splatoon

Wario Bros.

Full Squid
NNID
WarioBrose
When browsing the web looking up Splatoon stuff, I ran across this piece:

What you're seeing is a canceled game for the Xbox 360 called Color Wars. As you can see there's a bunch of similarities to Splatoon. The reason for the cancellation is that the company making the game (Mindware Studios) when out of business in 2011 before the game had a chance for a release.

Assuming what was shown would have been the final product, it looks like it would have been a failure from the get go. Everything about the game (movement, speed, gameplay, etc.) looks extremely sloppy and too chaotic. I don't even understand what the objective of the game is in Color Wars (unlike Splatoon).

And I think the similarities of Color Wars & Splatoon is nothing but a complete coincidence. Even if Nintendo took notes from that game, they made enough changes and incredible improvements to make Splatoon a highly anticipated game.

What do you think?

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
That is really interesting. It looks like it was still in pretty early stages so they could have improved, but it still probably would have failed. Splatoon looks 20x times better haha.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
This looks like a mess.

How long until the anti-Nintendo bandwagon uncover this to try and expose Nintendo for "copying" conveniently ignoring the fact that Microsoft and Sony are also just as inspired by Nintendo?

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
This looks like a mess.

How long until the anti-Nintendo bandwagon uncover this to try and expose Nintendo for "copying" conveniently ignoring the fact that Microsoft and Sony are also just as inspired by Nintendo?
You should see the Youtube comments of this video.

Glottis

Inkster Jr.
This looks like a mess.

I saw people claiming that about this game shortly after Splatoon was announced. I highly doubt it though.
Nintendo is kinda famous for never looking at what other games people are making, almost to the point of being ignorant.

I mean, when Miyamoto was showing of one of his new games last year, the robot labyrinth one, he claimed that he had never seen a game like it before and didn't know what genre to categorize it as. Even though the game was clearly a tower defense game.

And even though it came of as both oblivious and a little arrogant, that's kinda what i love about Nintendo.
They march to the beat of their own drum, never caring about what the rest of the industry is doing.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
You should see the Youtube comments of this video.
Oh dear, I can imagine. I tend to avoid the comments for reasons like this.

I saw people claiming that about this game shortly after Splatoon was announced. I highly doubt it though.
Nintendo is kinda famous for never looking at what other games people are making, almost to the point of being ignorant.

I mean, when Miyamoto was showing of one of his new games last year, the robot labyrinth one, he claimed that he had never seen a game like it before and didn't know what genre to categorize it as. Even though the game was clearly a tower defense game.

And even though it came of as both oblivious and a little arrogant, that's kinda what i love about Nintendo.
They march to the beat of their own drum, never caring about what the rest of the industry is doing.
I see where you're coming from. Occasionally it can be irritating (specifically the fact they can be so oblivious they take far too long to adapt in areas) but in a way you have to admire how much they care about what they do and pay no mind to what the others are doing to influence their own work.

Last edited:

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
This looks like a mess.

Sheesh, the victim complex is real ಠ_ಠ

If people wanted to bash Nintendo with this, they would have already. But they haven't. Contrary to popular belief, mainstream gaming media doesn't hate Nintendo.

Snarkiness aside, I think you guys are judging this game way too harshly. I also think Splatoon looks better, but that's because Splatoon got a chance to be finished. This game didn't, what you're seeing is most likely very early development. If it had been able to be finished, I bet it wouldn't have been that bad.

We gotta give them some credit, now.

RacattackForce

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RacattackForce
Like others are saying, Nintendo marches to the beat of its own drum. That said, anyone who legitimately thinks that Splatoon began production after someone at Nintendo saw this early build of Color Wars is forgetting that the game of paintball predates both by over 20 years.

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii

If people wanted to bash Nintendo with this, they would have already. But they haven't. Contrary to popular belief, mainstream gaming media doesn't hate Nintendo.

Snarkiness aside, I think you guys are judging this game way too harshly. I also think Splatoon looks better, but that's because Splatoon got a chance to be finished. This game didn't, what you're seeing is most likely very early development. If it had been able to be finished, I bet it wouldn't have been that bad.

Well, no the thing with anti-Nintendo is a lot of people seem to look down on those of us who enjoy Nintendo's content. Mainly because they see it as childish.
But to be fair, when Splatoon and lots of other games are initially announced they don't look as terrible as this did.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle

Um, excuse me?

It's not unreasonable to believe that people would try and attack Nintendo for something like this, given that they receive a pretty large backlash a lot of the time. I wasn't necessarily referring to the media, just immature morons in general. I was merely pointing out it'd be the perfect opportunity for it. I'm not acting like poor Nintendo is victim if you're implying that.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
Um, excuse me?

It's not unreasonable to believe that people would try and attack Nintendo for something like this, given that they receive a pretty large backlash a lot of the time. I wasn't necessarily referring to the media, just immature morons in general. I was merely pointing out it'd be the perfect opportunity for it. I'm not acting like poor Nintendo is victim if you're implying that.
I was hasty, but I just found it silly to consider that...I mean, Splatoon has been out for a while and that hasn't happened, and I don't think anyone will, except a few hardcore Nintendo hates, who are such a minority that I don't even consider them.

But again, I was being hasty, so my bad there.

Well, no the thing with anti-Nintendo is a lot of people seem to look down on those of us who enjoy Nintendo's content. Mainly because they see it as childish.
But to be fair, when Splatoon and lots of other games are initially announced they don't look as terrible as this did.
Well, some pro-Nintendo people like to look down on those who enjoy Sony or Microsoft content because they think they're trying too hard to be mature. It goes both ways, I think.

We don't know how far Splatoon was into development when they showed it off, so I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

But yeah, I flew off the handle a bit with my other post. I'm sorry, guys.

I still feel the response here is pretty harsh, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
I was hasty, but I just found it silly to consider that...I mean, Splatoon has been out for a while and that hasn't happened, and I don't think anyone will, except a few hardcore Nintendo hates, who are such a minority that I don't even consider them.

In fairness I should've realised this was pretty old. I'm just pretty quick to assume there's a group of Nintendo "haters" (ugh, forgive me for using that - is there a better word?) ready to attack, probably because I was just on another forum defending the messy new advert for the game, haha.

EDIT: Also, rewatching I actually think the style in it is pretty neat. The clunky feel is probably down to the fact it wasn't near finished. If anything, I guess this is cool to see. I love seeing the "what could have been" side of gaming.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I can't get the royalty free jazz out if my head! >.<

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii

Well, some pro-Nintendo people like to look down on those who enjoy Sony or Microsoft content because they think they're trying too hard to be mature. It goes both ways, I think.

We don't know how far Splatoon was into development when they showed it off, so I don't think it's fair to compare the two.
My point was tht people usually get their games looking at least acceptable when they initially show it off. But yeah, it was cancelled anyways so

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Theres an ooooooold PC game that was exactly like Splatoon, forgot the name though

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That's very interesting, i've seen the concept of covering the most area in one color many times before. Mostly in minigames, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom