• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Comeback - When is it Worthwhile?

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Formerly one of the weaker abilities in the game, Comeback has become a relevant choice since it was buffed in the 2.6 patch. But the ability isn't just stronger in itself. Quick Respawn stacking builds that utilize Stealth Jump have become more and more prevalent in both Solo Queue and competitive play. Comeback seems like a natural choice to compliment this playstyle. And even on non-QRSJ builds, it offers such a wide variety of boosts at the cost of just one main ability slot! A common argument against Comeback is that it's better to try to avoid dying rather than count on it for an ability (QRSJ builds nonwithstanding). While I do agree with this, the counterargument is pretty convincing. Say you die three times in a four-minute match of TC. That's a solid run. Comeback boosts you for 20 seconds after each death, meaning that you had all of these boosts for 80 seconds out of 240. That's one-third of the game time, for the cost of only one ability slot! I personally don't think it's as worthwhile as some people who swear by it, but that is a worthwhile point.

However, I don't think Comeback is a good choice on every weapon. Even weapons that are strong with QRSJ. If you can't click the above link (Or just don't want to, I totally understand), Comeback boosts ink efficiency for both the main weapon (16.3%) and sub-weapon (12.5%), Run Speed (14%), Swim Speed (6%) and provides a huge boost to Special Charge time (~25%). As an example, I am not a fan of using Comeback with the Custom Range Blaster. You don't benefit much from the Run Speed boost, the ink efficiency boost has minimal impact (I think you get an extra shot after a bomb? Maaaaaaaybe two?) and the Special Charge boost is not particularly noticeable on a weapon that paints so poorly. You'd be better off using a main of Special Saver if you wanted to get Kraken more quickly after dying. Conversely, the Neo Splash-o-Matic is a weapon that synergizes AMAZINGLY with Comeback. It benefits from all of the mobility boosts, the efficiency boosts allow for much more liberal use of Burst Bombs and the special charge boost allows you to quickly ready your light-depletion Inkzooka if you lost it by dying. It's already a terrific turfing weapon, but the increase in Run Speed augments that even further to accelerate the charge time more than just a Special Charge Up boost would.

I'm sure Comeback being amazing is old news to quite a few people, but I wanted to talk about it anyway. What other weapons are good with it? Do you even disagree that it's bad on any weapon? Or that it's even good at all? I would like to know!

EP2274

Inkster Jr.
The comeback ability is definitely the most underrated ability in the game. I find it great for low special depletion weapons like the Inkbrush. I personally run it on fast inking weapons, like you said the Splash-o-matic, because it benefits their overall playstyle.
I tried running it on the Sloshing Machine and the run speed and special boost plus the low depletion allows for some wicked comebacks with the right teammates.
I'd say that the faster inking weapons benefit a lot from this because of their more risky lower rang style. I would say if someone trades more than splats, they should run this.

One thing I don't like is the fact it's a hat only ability. I know it's for balancing issues, but I feel like it deserves more spots.
Overall, the ability only supports some weapons (like you said) and that kinda lowers the standard of the ability.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Definately a powerful ability, especially on gold dynamo: all that ink efficiency on one slot? Yes please! ;P
A couple things hold it back, however. Namely, that there are alternate build strategies just as strong or, some would argue, stronger.

It isn't the best on longer range weapons that like to hold/control areas for extended periods of the match, as dying can lead to the loss of your perch.
In addition to that, it also has to contend with the likes of :ability_damage:,:ability_quickrespawn:, and (to a lesser extent) :ability_tenacity:. For weapons that have a popular playstyle heavily favoring damage stacking, you're hard pressed to make room for anything else, let alone :ability_comeback:
And last point would be that, while it gives a different boost, :ability_tenacity: rewards you for surviving.

Still a great choice if your being splatted is inevitable =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom