• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Competitive Splatoon 2 Jargon

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Now, we all know that many hobbies and occupations have shortcut slangy words; and Splatoon is no different! This is a SquidBoards member created dictionary/reference guide to words that would be common to professionals, but foreign to completely new players (Which will help with spectating). This will be in alphabetical order and you can add to it by posting in thread the word and meaning which I will edit in. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here's the jargon!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anchor:

See Backliner.

Callouts:

The act of reporting the current game state via voice chat to your teammates. Frequently, knowledge of certain map terminology is also referred to as "knowing callouts".

Chip Damage:

See Splash Damage.

dc:

When a player loses connection, the abbreviation "dc" is used to inform your teammates a player (on either side) has disonnected.

Double (splat/kill):

A single player manages to take down two enemy players

Meta:

Short for "Metagame"

Metagame:

Metagame is any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself. In role-play situations, for example, it would mean to tell somebody some information about another player or something they are doing that the said player's character should not intrinsically know about. In simple terms, it is the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions.

Metagaming:

Countering the Metagame.

Pure:

When a piece of gear has a main and 3 sub slots of the same ability.

Rotations:

Not to be confused with map and mode changes every 2 hours, this is a term used by chargers and other backliners to refer to their movement throughout a game and the different spots they "rotate" through on a map depending on the situation of the game.

Sharking:

When a single player hides in 1 spot and kills opponents as they come by.

Slayer:

The role of focusing on splats as opposed to Objective Pushing and Map Control

Snap:

Quickly adjusting your aim right onto a target when not originally aiming at them. Commonly seen from chargers and blasters (some blaster players call it a turn)

Splash Damage:

Damage done to a player that does not OHKO (Usually with weapons that do OHKO like Blasters)

Squid Party:

When players get together in a Private Lobby to mess around by Squidbagging and playing with their Special Weapons in homemade mini-games sometimes lacking an official objective

Squidbagging:

The act of rapidly pressing ZL to quickly and annoyingly cycle from squid to kid repeatedly. It is commonly used during Squid Parties and as a way to brag usually after getting a Splat.

Stack:

Used to describe when one ability is used very often on a player's set of gear to be most effective. Can also be described when speaking about probability and statistics. Example: Do drinks and common gear ability stack?

Sub Strafe:

The act of holding R to have the sub throw animation start and then ZL to quickly cancel momentum and change direction while swimming or in combat to nullify speed decrease when changing direction while swimming

Support:

A player or role that focuses on painting the map and allowing pushes to happen more easily for their team, usually using weapons like Zink Mini Splatling, Splash - O - Matic, and Dualie Squelchers.

Triple (splat/kill):

A single player manages to take down three enemy players.

Wipe:

Splatting the whole enemy team so that no enemy player remains active on the battlefield. Usually a good time to initiate a push.

Last edited:

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Neither of those terms are "competitive" jargon. In fact, those are two things you'll never see in a competitive context.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Neither of those terms are "competitive" jargon. In fact, those are two things you'll never see in a competitive context.
Couldn't think of anything else lol

the

Inkling Commander
This is a neat idea! How about sub strafing? (When you rapidly hit R and then ZL to quickly cancel momentum and change direction while swimming or in combat.) ((Someone feel free to correct me, that’s my understanding of what it is))

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Sharking
Hiding in 1 spot and killing people as they come by.

Squelched/Squiffed
Getting splatted by a Squelcher or Squiffer.

Stack
Used to describe when one ability is used very often on a team comp or player build. EX: "Crap! They're stacking Special Charge again!"

Support
A player that focuses on painting the map and allowing pushes to happen more easily for your team, usually running weapons like Zimi, Splash, and Dualie Squelchers.

Anchor
Same as Backliner.

Chip/Splash Damage
Indirect damage from explosives such as bombs and Blasters.

Push
When your team takes control of the objective and starts to gain points.

Trade
2 opposing Inklings getting splatted by each other. (note that getting killed within a few seconds of splatting somebody else also counts as a trade).

Pop-off
When a team or player gets their head in the game and does something awesome.

Rolling Push
When a team can gradually and constantly push up because splatted teammates jump back to the frontlines and keep the ball rolling.

Pick
A rad name for kill/splat.

Pure
When a piece of gear has a main and 3 sub slots of the same ability.

And my personal favorite

Playing like a B*tch
Staying in one part of the map, painting and killing anyone or anything that gets within your range. Commonly used by Jet, Heavy, and Charger players.

I'm sure I'll remember some more down the road.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'll add these after SQSS

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
This thread is actually a great idea. I like it. I'll take a shot and try to contribute.

---------

Wipe:

Splatting the whole enemy team so that no enemy player remains active on the battlefield. Usually a good time to initiate a push.

Double (splat/kill):

A single player manages to take down two enemy players.

Triple (splat/kill):

A single player manages to take down three enemy players.

Callouts:

The act of reporting the current game state via voice chat to your teammates. Frequently, knowledge of certain map terminology is also referred to as "knowing callouts".

dc:

When a player loses connection, the abbreviation "dc" is used to inform your teammates a player (on either side) has disonnected.

Flanking

The act of contesting the enemy team, using the flanks of the map.

---------

Last edited:

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Please note that I will change the wording slightly when adding words while still keeping the same general idea to be more formal, thank you.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Snap: Quickly adjusting your aim right onto a target when not originally aiming at them. Commonly seen from chargers and blasters (some blaster players call it a turn)

Rotations: As opposed to just map/mode changes, this is a term used by chargers and other backliners to refer to their movement throughout a game and the different spots they "rotate" through on a map depending on the situation of the game.

Flex: Can mean 2 things:
1. A player who can take on any role in the game and play every position. For example, HXN is a flex player.
2. A weapon that can shift between different roles of the game. For example, the sshot pro and slosher are flex weapons because they are played to fit the comp. For example, you might see a slosher deco shift between slaying and staying back and controlling more.

While I'm at it...
Comp: A cool boi word to describe a team's weapon composition (whay 4 weapons they're playing).

Build: Another cool boi word to describe the abilities someone is uses on their gear.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Would someone please give me a backliner definition?

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
How about "shiny gear" - having the same sub ability in all three slots.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
Has that been coined?
I don't know. I've seen it used a few times around here. And it makes sense - kind of like when you get the shiny orb-thingy in salmon run, the shining means it's the best version of that thing you can get.

the

Inkling Commander
That's called a pure.
I don’t know if this still applies since there are ways to get pure abilities besides rerolling, but I remember seeing somewhere in the splat 1 days that “pure” was used when getting a triple roll of the common ability for a piece of gear, and “shiny” was a triple roll of any other ability (which I’m assuming is a reference to extremely-rare shiny pokemon? I guess?)

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Slayer......so basically most people in ranked. Ignore objective and just kill kill kill. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom