• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Competitive Splatoon, will it take off?

Zpenrith

Inkling
NNID
zpenrith
Just wondering if you guys think that in a year or two we will still be playing Splatoon and will it's competitive side last?
If it's competitive side does last do you think Nintendo will support it, or be against it like Melee back in the day?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
On Nintendo, they aren't against the competitive side of Smash 4, not sure why they would be against Splatoon having a competitive scene. Melee was a game that ended up not being what the developers wanted, so I wouldn't use it is an example (and it was release more than a decade ago, the 2015 Nintendo isn't like the early 2000s one).

But it is nice to have in mind that what Nintendo considers competitive and what internet people consider competitive might be entirely different things (at least in the case of Smash). As for support, I don't see Nintendo dropping support for Splatoon after how much marketing they put for the game.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd bet Nintendo would support Splatoon like they do Smash 4. As for how long does it last... it depends on us.

Life

Senior Squid
If you want the Splatoon community to last, keep playing Splatoon and talking about Splatoon. Worked just fine for every other long-standing community.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a sequel once the next console is out, though.

CptJPuff

Inkling
NNID
CptJPuff
I'm giving it 2 years. If the "competitive" scene of it doesn't take off before then, it will surely die.

And if it does take off, I don't think it will last longer than 3 years. I'm pretty sure that throwing paint on floors/walls will become a boring concept after a while.

edit 03/25/27:
i was a ******* blindly hating on the game two years ago. i absolutely love the game now.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm giving it 2 years. If the "competitive" scene of it doesn't take off before then, it will surely die.

And if it does take off, I don't think it will last longer than 3 years. I'm pretty sure that throwing paint on floors/walls will become a boring concept after a while.
What game doesn't become boring after a couple years? In 2~3 years we might be getting a Splatoon sequel if the original sells well, anyways.

Oh and the game can still "live" even without a competitive scene.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks

Throwing the same random characters off the same few cliffs has remained incredibly active for around 14 years now, the concept of the game shouldn't matter in a competitive environment compared to the raw quality and content of the game

It really depends if Splatoon has the sheer content and most of all, support from Nintendo over time. So far things look promising, with a myriad of FREE maps and game modes coming our way, as well as splat fest showing that they ARE at least somewhat interested in promoting official competition

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
If Nintendo regularly releases new updates, DLC (weapons, stages, etc.) and organizes competitive event every now and then, it would surely increase the likelyhood. Kinda hoping for that.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I want to say yes but if Nintendo doesn't keep the game alive with more content, because honestly its pretty lacking in content as is (hopefully the patch in August will suffice), I don't see it going far. It's up to us either way.

Ansem

Inkling
NNID
fluidAnsem
For a competitive scene to thrive like halo 2, this would need an LAN mode for 4v4 teams, Online Tournaments are a most but the patch in august will bring around more competitive news. Hopefully Nintendo supports it like it does Pokemon :^)

whizzer0

Inkling
NNID
whizzer
I think when custom online matches start will be when we begin to see whether it's going to be competitive. Until then I'm not sure how competitive it can be.

Colino

Inkling
NNID
MrColino
I don't really think Nintendo would ever want to see it "competitive" in this sense. Other than the social events they plan I doubt they would support anything like a competitive tournament structure or anything like that.

Chaozrush21

Full Squid
NNID
dotmae
I'll give it a few more years. If we continue to find stuff like shift cancelling and Nintendo continue to add maps I can see a competitive scene slowly starting.

Colgate

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
What game doesn't become boring after a couple years? In 2~3 years we might be getting a Splatoon sequel if the original sells well, anyways.

Oh and the game can still "live" even without a competitive scene.
Smash Bros games and Pokemon.

That being said, I am 100% sure that this all depends on the community.

The community struggled to make competitive Melee thrive, and look where it's at, 14 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom