1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Competitive Turf War

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Enperry, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Enperry

Enperry Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    So, the Inkling Open is happening soon and the first couple rounds are turf wars. Any tips?

2. Enperry

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Bump bc I really need responses.

3. calamaro

calamaro Inkling Fleet Admiral

Have good gear and weapon?

4. Emperor

Emperor twitter.com/Emperor_Kun

For starters, we need to know what weapon you plan on using.

5. Enperry

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    That's just it. Part of the problem is not knowing what weapon is best for Turf War. Fyi, let's just assume that I'm good with every weapon and I can't decide which to use.
    Yeah, but what does that mean? Are Last Ditch Effort and Opening Gambit effective in Turf War even when they aren't in Ranked?

6. Emperor

Well in that case, I'd recommend the Splattershot. It's an all-round reliable weapon that covers a decent amount in range and damage. You honestly can't go wrong with Splashdown either cause there are a lot of aggressive squid players that like to get close and personal.

7. Enperry

NNID:
    ssjplt
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0405-1788-8108
    Well, the Splashdown is easy to shoot down especially in top level play, so would you recommend the Ttek?

8. Emperor

Yeah that works. Or the Octo version for style points.

9. Dewnose

Dewnose Inkling Cadet

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-1493-3741-2812
    From what I’ve heard, the only part that matters in Turf War is the last 30 seconds - enough time to make a comeback and win. So, yes, Last Ditch Effort is better in Turf, but not Comeback. Another thing is you’ll want to pick a weapon that’s capable of painting enough to make the comeback (unless you’re REALLY confident with that charger.) The more your weapon paints (along with your team,) the less time it takes to score the game-winning turf.

EDIT: I meant Opening Gambit not Comeback whoops :rolleyes:

#9 Dewnose, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Enperry likes this.
  10. awedry

awedry Inkster Jr.

Hi Enperry,

Some thoughts...
    Turf War's last 30-45 seconds matter most, but it's really about map control. If you hold mid, you win. There's some strategy in terms of holding choke points on maps, watching flanks, and trying to fragment the opponent's efforts, but nothing too elaborate. If you can communicate with your team via voice chat, you can easily coordinate a push onto the opponent's side and hold it. With randoms in Turf (normal battles online), it's harder to do this. The most common mistakes I see in normal battles are uncoordinated pushes onto the opponent's side, and playing for splats instead of map control.

Above all, I'd recommend playing a weapon you're familiar with. There's no sense putting yourself at a disadvantage with something you haven't played much. Most shooters, dualies, and splatlings play well in Turf because of their painting ability, but some sloshers (e.g. Bloblobber) and even chargers (E-liter!) can paint well also. Specials like rain, Bubble Blower, and Bomb Rush work well in Turf. I agree with others that Last-Ditch Effort is good, but play any abilities you like.

~A.

#10 awedry, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Enperry likes this.
  11. SacredWarrior

SacredWarrior Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    SacredWarrior88
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5006-3355-6621
    You can just use it while Super Jumping. The Splashdown is more effective that way and it's much harder to avoid too

Enperry likes this.