• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Competitive Turf War

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
So, the Inkling Open is happening soon and the first couple rounds are turf wars. Any tips?

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Bump bc I really need responses.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
For starters, we need to know what weapon you plan on using.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
For starters, we need to know what weapon you plan on using.
That's just it. Part of the problem is not knowing what weapon is best for Turf War. Fyi, let's just assume that I'm good with every weapon and I can't decide which to use.
Have good gear and weapon?
Yeah, but what does that mean? Are Last Ditch Effort and Opening Gambit effective in Turf War even when they aren't in Ranked?

Emperor

Well in that case, I'd recommend the Splattershot. It's an all-round reliable weapon that covers a decent amount in range and damage. You honestly can't go wrong with Splashdown either cause there are a lot of aggressive squid players that like to get close and personal.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Well in that case, I'd recommend the Splattershot. It's an all-round reliable weapon that covers a decent amount in range and damage. You honestly can't go wrong with Splashdown either cause there are a lot of aggressive squid players that like to get close and personal.
Well, the Splashdown is easy to shoot down especially in top level play, so would you recommend the Ttek?

Emperor

Yeah that works. Or the Octo version for style points.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
From what I’ve heard, the only part that matters in Turf War is the last 30 seconds - enough time to make a comeback and win. So, yes, Last Ditch Effort is better in Turf, but not Comeback. Another thing is you’ll want to pick a weapon that’s capable of painting enough to make the comeback (unless you’re REALLY confident with that charger.) The more your weapon paints (along with your team,) the less time it takes to score the game-winning turf.

EDIT: I meant Opening Gambit not Comeback whoops :rolleyes:

Last edited:

awedry

Full Squid
Hi Enperry,

Some thoughts...
Turf War's last 30-45 seconds matter most, but it's really about map control. If you hold mid, you win. There's some strategy in terms of holding choke points on maps, watching flanks, and trying to fragment the opponent's efforts, but nothing too elaborate. If you can communicate with your team via voice chat, you can easily coordinate a push onto the opponent's side and hold it. With randoms in Turf (normal battles online), it's harder to do this. The most common mistakes I see in normal battles are uncoordinated pushes onto the opponent's side, and playing for splats instead of map control.

Above all, I'd recommend playing a weapon you're familiar with. There's no sense putting yourself at a disadvantage with something you haven't played much. Most shooters, dualies, and splatlings play well in Turf because of their painting ability, but some sloshers (e.g. Bloblobber) and even chargers (E-liter!) can paint well also. Specials like rain, Bubble Blower, and Bomb Rush work well in Turf. I agree with others that Last-Ditch Effort is good, but play any abilities you like.

~A.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom