• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Concerning Maps and Modes

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
Now, as most people have done, or will do once the videos are uploaded, the finals of Booyah Battle 2 are up. Comment here on how Maps/Modes should be handled.

Personally, deciding maps by RNG is a bad idea, as seen by the map choices of the Grand Finals.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I'm interested to see what other people's thoughts are on this.

Here are my thoughts, keeping in mind that I only tuned in to the BB2 Grand finals once or twice.

On one hand, not being random is good to ensure that the most fair maps and modes are played. On the other, it essentially soft-bans any gametypes that the TO doesn't like. Randomizing it ensures that all gametypes are equally represented.

For our upcoming SCL tournament (here), I chose the modes myself to ensure that they were equally represented in each round, but used a random number generator to determine maps. I did a little bit of cherry-picking to keep there from being repeats within the same round and to keep some of the more controversial gametypes (i.e. SZ Moray) from being in WF, LF, and GF.

I'd love to hear other TOs' thoughts on this though, as I'm not sure what the best course of action is

Noise Tank

Full Squid
I love to jerk off with the rainmaker at the top of rig for an easy win !! :)

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Great discussion topic, and it needs to be somewhere.

We've gone with rotating modes for InkStorm (link in my sig cause I'm too lazy to get it right now :P ) and did random gametypes from there. I think it's a really good idea, this early on in the meta, to get gametypes played everywhere. That said, it might be good if you're deep in bracket to do random with a bit of cherry picking to ensure that something like SS RM doesn't show up in finals. So, it's something that is a very touchy subject.

You guys did the right thing, but I might suggest next time glancing over the gametypes and looking at where they fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom