1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Concerning Maps and Modes

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by BestTeaMaker, Sep 27, 2015.

1. BestTeaMaker

BestTeaMaker Pro Squid

NNID:
    BestTeaMaker
    Now, as most people have done, or will do once the videos are uploaded, the finals of Booyah Battle 2 are up. Comment here on how Maps/Modes should be handled.

Personally, deciding maps by RNG is a bad idea, as seen by the map choices of the Grand Finals.

2. Aweshucks

Aweshucks Kinda a loser
    Event Organizer

NNID:
    Aweshucks
    I'm interested to see what other people's thoughts are on this.

Here are my thoughts, keeping in mind that I only tuned in to the BB2 Grand finals once or twice.

On one hand, not being random is good to ensure that the most fair maps and modes are played. On the other, it essentially soft-bans any gametypes that the TO doesn't like. Randomizing it ensures that all gametypes are equally represented.

For our upcoming SCL tournament (here), I chose the modes myself to ensure that they were equally represented in each round, but used a random number generator to determine maps. I did a little bit of cherry-picking to keep there from being repeats within the same round and to keep some of the more controversial gametypes (i.e. SZ Moray) from being in WF, LF, and GF.

I'd love to hear other TOs' thoughts on this though, as I'm not sure what the best course of action is

GameGalaxy64 likes this.
  3. Noise Tank

Noise Tank Full Squid

I love to jerk off with the rainmaker at the top of rig for an easy win !! :)

4. Kbot

Kbot Full-time TO
    Event Organizer Moderator

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7867-5047-8101
    Great discussion topic, and it needs to be somewhere.

We've gone with rotating modes for InkStorm (link in my sig cause I'm too lazy to get it right now :p ) and did random gametypes from there. I think it's a really good idea, this early on in the meta, to get gametypes played everywhere. That said, it might be good if you're deep in bracket to do random with a bit of cherry picking to ensure that something like SS RM doesn't show up in finals. So, it's something that is a very touchy subject.

You guys did the right thing, but I might suggest next time glancing over the gametypes and looking at where they fall.

5. Typhlosion09

Typhlosion09 Pro Squid

NNID:
    Typhlosion09
    Someone should write a huge post covering all the details of map/mode selection. I would but I'm too lazy.

6. Kbot

Kbot Full-time TO
    Event Organizer Moderator

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7867-5047-8101
    Well, since you thought of the idea, congrats. That's your job.

Aweshucks likes this.