• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Could inklings touch water, but not swim in it? do they have special water?

DeltAxShaRD

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5899-7334-6971
In a few translations, including Japanese (which I consider the official translation) there is dialogue between the idols that seem to suggest that cephlings can, in fact, touch water.

also the "death animation" shows the same explosion of mist that falling does. which leads me to believe that being "out of bounds" is what causes the explosion.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cephalobro

In a few translations, including Japanese (which I consider the official translation) there is dialogue between the idols that seem to suggest that cephlings can, in fact, touch water.

also the "death animation" shows the same explosion of mist that falling does. which leads me to believe that being "out of bounds" is what causes the explosion.

What do you guys think?
I think their evolution caused them to be hydrophobic on the outside, but not on the inside. Like, they can drink water, as seen how many fruits they like to eat are water-based, including the watermelon which is the fruit that holds the most water. Or it could be that both chlorine and salt are the reasons why they explode, as most multiplayer stages that have water as a hazard seems to take place in the pool or in the ocean. (Although, for Camp Triggerfish, it could be said the river has a little bit of salt naturally mixed into its water. This is kind of true for some real-world rivers.)

DeltAxShaRD

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5899-7334-6971
interesting. I saw in the manga, there is a panel where inklings are underwater. its simply stated: "inklings cant swim"

DeltAxShaRD

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5899-7334-6971
another thing is Octavio, he floats inside the snow globe, but what is inside of that globe? I personally think its a special kind of water, devoid of any impurity.

Its also stated that inklings "diffuse" in the water as they are pretty much giant ink balloons. so density might play a role.

Cephalobro

It's also interesting that some Octarian domes do in fact, contain water, so it's not exclusive to the surface either. So maybe the cephalopods need water to survive, but if used wrong, it can kill them.

DeltAxShaRD

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5899-7334-6971
It's also interesting that some Octarian domes do in fact, contain water, so it's not exclusive to the surface either. So maybe the cephalopods need water to survive, but if used wrong, it can kill them.
and the fact that they seem to be "resorts" intrigues me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom