• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Curling Bomb Usage

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Don't know about the rest of you, but I rather like the weapon. I want to use it more often. Just need to play more of the weapons with curling bombs in their kit.

In the meantime, would anyone like to share their thoughts, experiences, tips, clips, and what-not with the curling bombs? Perhaps something more than fire-and-forget, fire-and-follow tactics, or extra-turf-device-for-special. I know there's more to them than that. Such as how height can effect its distance, throwing it straight down at your feet will give you the furthest distance, or it's ready to detonate when the green timer circle is half gone.

It's time we know and figure out what more they can do!

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
One neat thing i don't see people using much: You can hold the R button to 'cook' the bomb beforehand making it explode sooner when thrown.
Holding the R button when using the curling bomb launcher special will instead cause it to travel further.
Otherwise, making the bomb bounce of several walls is great for confusing enemy's in close quarters as well as inking in a zigzag line further complimenting this.
The throw and follow is great for mobility but is easy to read in battle, but you can play mind games like throwing and not following or only following halfway then attack.
Combine this with bouncing of several walls for some good fun.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
One neat thing i don't see people using much: You can hold the R button to 'cook' the bomb beforehand making it explode sooner when thrown.
The only big problem with this is how long you stay exposed in the open. Too many times have I tried this only to get hunted down as if I were using a stingray out in mid. It also poses another problem in that, if you need a quicker explosion, then you're probably very close to enemies or their ink, which is bad because of how long you need to expose yourself for. It's definitely got its applications, but it's veeeeery iffy. I've at least used it to get a couple of close-range revenge kills.

So cool things with curling bombs: obviously I highly recommend Ninja Squid, especially in conjunction with Swim Speed Up (it takes 2 mains and 1 sub to neutralise it). Ink resistance is helpful against suspicious people who spray over your curling bomb to try to catch someone in it. Vanille's got a great point with the mindgame potential in curling bombs. You can watch what people do against them -- if they are suspicious enough to shoot them on sight, you can send a curling bomb right by them and watch them get distracted in the distance by it. If they ignore it, good time to get flanking with it.

A super important thing to know about these is you can aim them up. By doing so, you can fling them atop the sneaky ledges in port mackerel and up on the enemy's ledge on Inkblot. I haven't had much success doing so after cooking them, but it could just be in practice.

Also: in long/narrow passageways, fling them sideways. They'll bounce left and right repeatedly, making for a terrifying "wall" that enemies will be hard-pressed to get past. It's a great tactic for Port Mackerel and many parts of Moray Towers.

Maave

Inkling Commander
A super important thing to know about these is you can aim them up. By doing so, you can fling them atop the sneaky ledges in port mackerel and up on the enemy's ledge on Inkblot. I haven't had much success doing so after cooking them, but it could just be in practice.
Oh yeah they have some freakin vertical toss on them, seems like more than the Splat1 seekers. I just need to learn which spots are good for tossing over.

Reactions: the

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
Oh yeah they have some freakin vertical toss on them, seems like more than the Splat1 seekers. I just need to learn which spots are good for tossing over.
Reduced vertical reach after cook, only getting over very low ledges at that point. Most ledges are good for swim+jump and release. You can easily toss them into unsuspecting squids on inkblot and port, and even manta maria.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Whatever you do, don't use the Curling-Bomb Launcher as a panic button or use it thinking you will be safer than firing the normal Aerospray. I mean, I don't think I have to tell anyone on this board, but it happens so often it's frustrating. It's so easy to see someone using it close-by and just rush over to them and kill them. Then watch them make the same mistake after they respawn -_-

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
The only big problem with this is how long you stay exposed in the open. Too many times have I tried this only to get hunted down as if I were using a stingray out in mid. It also poses another problem in that, if you need a quicker explosion, then you're probably very close to enemies or their ink, which is bad because of how long you need to expose yourself for. It's definitely got its applications, but it's veeeeery iffy. I've at least used it to get a couple of close-range revenge kills.
True, but don't forget about the bouncing off walls which you can use to avoid blowing your cover.
Or you can for example cook a bomb behind a corner, 'peek', and throw it so it explodes while still having MAX speed at long range.
Does a awesome job of surprising people from a distance.
If you don't cook it, people just see it way before it explodes, especially since a curling nearly comes to a stop before exploding.
Making it less useful on open area's and choke points.

I admit i still getting used to the sub myself with the nozzlenose and roller, but 'cooking' has noticeable of opportunity's to shine.
Especially if you have more 'laid-back' play style (not super aggressive).

ShellHeads

Inkling
NNID
TheShellHeads
Switch Friend Code
SW-6992-2710-4606
When I'm using the Sploosh in ranked I like to launch out my curling bombs with my swim speed to help set a path for my team to get to the objective faster. It's also a good way to get out of a scenario quickly and flee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom